Caravan Servicing , Do I Need To Empty Caravan

Lozsing

As above really, we have to keep caravan in storage and it would be a right pain to empty it, Its a new van so never been in this position before.

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

We always totally empty ours for service as it is a good opportunity to clear out accumulated junk and to get rid of it!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

My Parents do to take theirs to the dealer, but we see many mobile guys turn up on site to service season pitched vans. they do the lot even with the awning up. so i guess it depends who you use. best off to ask when ringing round for prices.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

If you want the technician to give the caravan a thorough damp check you need to make sure that they are able to do so without having to move things.

Mine is going in next week for service and agreed procedure is remove carpets and all contents of lower lockers. ..this has been case for three years.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Lozsing,

Like you, my van is in storage, and I can't get it to my house to empty either!

Luckily, I use an excellent mobile servicer, and he does not require any items to be removed from the van . .. all he asks is that the walls are as clear as possible to enable the complete damp test.

You definitely need to contact them in advance.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Mine is going in next week for service and agreed procedure is remove carpets and all contents of lower lockers. ..this has been case for three years.

geoff

We do the same simply to make life easier for them to get to places to test for damp. It also gives us chance to clean every where and empty things out we haven't used since the last service. I look at it this way if they can get to all of the nooks and crannies easily to test for damp then they will.

My thoughts as well - if I can get everywhere, so can the service technician and there's no excuse for not doing it properly.

We give the van an annual clear-out ready for it's service and it gives us the opportunity to give it a good clean in all the nooks & crannies as well as checking the van ourselves to identify any odd problems.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

geoff

+1

Ours kept in storage and a lot already stripped out for the winter, carpets, aquarolls. .....

Any other stuff goes in the back of the car on the day I take it for servicing and as it is serviced before its first spring outing, not much inside anyhow and makes it easier for the service guy to do his job and less risk of 'soiling' to carpets etc.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Always take it for the service completely empty. ..

We get away just before the service is due so that we have an opportunity to identify any little niggles that need bringing to the attention of the dealer.

2004 Land Rover Discovery & 2011 Bailey Pegasus Bologna

My current dealer ask for empty caravan on service and we live near storage so empty it before it goes in.

Looking at storage in Oxford area now as we're buying down there and use in that area mostly - will be following Griffs example next year and fill car.

Hoping service done in day or will have no bed at night!

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I have always emptied mine for servicing, as I presumed they need unhindered access all areas for damp test. If you don't empty it I think you may need to scrutinise the dampness report to ensure that, nothing is written in the comments and recommendations like "as far as possible" . Which could affect liability should dampness be detected in the future?

Porsche Cayenne Turbo tugging 2012 Coachman VIP 560/4

Never emptied ours and never had any complaints. It depends on who you use for servicing.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

When I travelled to the UK and had a service while there, I told the dealer I could not take anything out of the caravan as I had nowhere to put anything, they accepted that as they had no choice if they wanted the work. They did tell me to take all my valuables out, but as everything in the caravan was valuable I just took the money and jewellery, this caused a problem as we had to carry large amounts, and I mean large amounts of cash into town for the day.

We have loads of cash as we are away for a few months and deal in cash only as that is the way we like it, both sterling and euros, in case of breakdown and for spending, we do have credit cards but only use them when it is unavoidable.

Also I have been told by the service agents that they no longer test for damp

I don't know who that agent is but I for one would be very unhappy about that.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Cannot say who it was as the company reads this forum, but he was not alone a mobile service also said that and he came recommended from this forum by more than one person.

We had ours serviced yesterday and were told that they did not require it emptying complete as long as they have access to all areas.

Our last dealers, on the other hand, insisted that it was emptied completely. They also kept it for a week whereas this only only had it in for the day. I suggest that you check with your engineer.

Ours is in storage and it is a pain to have to empty it but it is a good opportunity to have a clear out.

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

The dealer we use does our van was serviced about 3 weeks ago and I have a sheet of all the readings for damp ( gratefully lack of ) for every area of the van and a form ticking off everything that has been checked and completed by the chap who serviced it ( including greasy fingerprints ) attached to the bill.

Ours was serviced last week and we emptied the lower cupboards and bed lockers so that the damp test could be carried out effectively (thankfully none). We also have a sheet confirming this. The damp test is very important if the van is under warranty because if no test is done, how will you know whether or not you have a problem? I think most manufacturers insist it's done to monitor any problems.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I'm having mine done at home this week and was told the following :

If you can empty it efficiently enough to allow him to have access to top and bottom cupboards for a damp test and the floor cleared enough to check for delamination.

Many dealers want 'vans empty so there's no dispute about anything going missing. Our MH insurance doesn't cover us for personal effects if it's at the dealers but we accept the fact and either remove valuable items such as the TV and personal things or risk it if it's only going to be an overnight.

2019 Adria Adora Thames