Best Of The Early Bailey Rangers For Around £4000

gumdrop

I like my Eribas, but the Bailey Ranger 380/2 we had was a centinary edition with a Truma Gas /Electric water heater, blown air and even a wine cabinet!

My wife loved the Bailey and it may be we will go for another one but many have the old Carver kit in them, so when did they change to Truma or Whale equipment?

Which are the better models, I like the end bathroom, separate shower, of the 460/2 does 460 refer to a length?

There used to be some of Baileys older online brochures but they seem to have disappeared.

This was our Bailey Ranger 510/4, 1998 model.

We loved it and kept it till it was written off in 2004, repaired it and my daughter has only recently changed it. Separate shower and very good layout.

A.jpg

B.jpg

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

I like my Eribas, but the Bailey Ranger 380/2 we had was a centinary edition with a Truma Gas /Electric water heater, blown air and even a wine cabinet!

My wife loved the Bailey and it may be we will go for another one but many have the old Carver kit in them, so when did they change to Truma or Whale equipment?

Which are the better models, I like the end bathroom, separate shower, of the 460/2 does 460 refer to a length?

There used to be some of Baileys older online brochures but they seem to have disappeared.

The series 5 460/2 which I have has the Truma water heater and blown air, though no wine cabinet. ;) I have insulated the underfloor air ducts and it is cosy throughout the year. . The 460 refers to the body length.

Be aware that some series 5 caravans were built during the period when there were manufacturing issues. Screws attaching body panels were apparently larger than the pre drilled screw holes and the panels cracked letting in water and causing damp. My rear panel was replaced under Warranty for that reason but the six years manufacturer's warranty will probably have expired for the series 5 models.

Edited by DeeTee

Thanks caraman that looks very similar to our 1999 model.

Dee Tee, that series 5 note is very useful.

We had the 1998 510/4 which my mate bought from me nearly seven years ago and it's still going strong. Apart from the fact that the decals have faded a bit there are no leaks, no creaks, nothing has broken or fallen off and everything still works just as well as they did when new. Its got the Truma Gas Heater with the Carver warm air unit and TrumasStore hot water system and the wine cabinet as well. In my opinion the Carver warm air unit heated the van a lot better than the TrumaHeat system fitted to later vans - it's only slight disadvantage is that you can't run it at the same time as the gas heater but it puts out more heat than the Truma unit when running on electricity. .

Our old van still looks just as good as Caraman1's piccies

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I have the 510/4 year 2000, and have no issues with it, manufacturer wise. I bought it 2nd hand 5years ago and it would take a good layout to tempt me away from it. Swmbo would like an island bed, but I think having a fixed bed, means having to lose some of the space afforded by this van.

We had a year 2000 Ranger 460/2. A very well-kitted-out van, Bailey had let the Ranger spec float upwards almost to Pageant level, wine cabinet complete with wine-glass clips, several mirrors, spacious end bathroom. sprung seats.

Sold it 9 years later, bone dry, to get a van with a permanent bed. Still miss it at times.

Bry

My wife is drawn to a Ranger 460 2 a 2007 model,

are there any hints or tips on what to look out for please.

I know my Eriba Troll inside out, the Bailey is a bit of a mystery.

My wife is drawn to a Ranger 460 2 a 2007 model,

are there any hints or tips on what to look out for please.

I know my Eriba Troll inside out, the Bailey is a bit of a mystery.

That is the model which I have. Have a thorough damp check carried out taking special note of the rear wardrobe area, which I suspect is adjacent to the roof seam where the rear panel joins the roof panel.

However, I would expect that the caravans which had splits in the rear panel screw holes would have come to light by now. :)

Edited by DeeTee

Thanks Dee Tee, the seller has had a damp test done, however I will look

at the back of the wardrobe.

Thanks Dee Tee, the seller has had a damp test done, however I will look

at the back of the wardrobe.

Sadly you will not see anything. There were no marks or staining and dampness was only revealed by a damp meter. The high damp readings were detected above the shelf in the wardrobe on the offside interior wall. As far as I am aware no damp was detected at the back of the wardrobe. The dampness only came to light when a damp test carried out during the first service in my ownership when the caravan was three years old.

I have ordered a damp meter :D

a Brennenstuhl

Edited by gumdrop

I have ordered a damp meter :D

a Brennenstuhl

I have never owned or used a damp meter. I use my Mark 1 eyeballs and Olfactory organ. :rolleyes:

As I said earlier I would be very surprised if any more of the Series five caravans with the mismatched screw holes came to light at this stage but it may be advisable to have all the joints checked with a view to re-sealing in what is by now may be a six or seven year old caravan. ;)

I do have Mk 1 eyeball, bionically assisted, but you said "nothing to see"

My hooter can tell a button mushroom from a shitaki at six paces but digital

confirmation to the seller is useful

I do have Mk 1 eyeball, bionically assisted, but you said "nothing to see"

My hooter can tell a button mushroom from a shitaki at six paces but digital

confirmation to the seller is useful

Incidently my Eriba troll is thirteen years old and the only

water ingress has been through a window seal that died of old age!

Good Rangers are hard to find, so we ended up with a 400/2 Orion

Sue was smitten straight away.