Tips For Pricing And Selling My Perle Orestes

Sleighbelle

We have 2 Avondale Caravans, one we have kept in France for several years. We have finally decided to bring the Mayfly back from France and store it here where we can work on it. Sadly, it means we will be letting our Perle Orestes (1993) go. Can anyone out there give me some advice on how is the best way to pass it on to a good home and how to price it?

One sold on eBay in Jan for £1,110. Another was on Gumtree for £800 in Edin.

I would use eBay myself, though it would do no home to put it in CT's Classified section for free.

If using fleabay, do take lots of piccies and describe it warts and all. Do NOT accept any payment by PayPal and don't do any deal off eBay.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have just sold my 1998 compass.

It was advertised on e bay, I had one offer from a dealer who wanted to pay at least £700. 00 less than asked for,I had no other offers off e bay.

Do not forget e bay want a massive commision on a sale as well.

I advertised in the local press,ok ad was £44. 00 and featured in a number of local papers with a photograph and a long description.

I had around eight enquiries,the van was sold to the first person who saw it and paid the full asking price.

In my opinion if you have a decent caravan to sell and the price is right there are people out there who will want to buy it.

Selling this time of the year seems to be no problem in fact people may even think they will get a bargain in the winter months.

malc

I agree with Malc except I'd use Gumtree. I find it's pretty much taken over from local papers AND it's FREE

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Thanks for those replies, Henry, Malcolm and Wispman. I didn't really want to go the eBay route so you have confirmed my thoughts there. I've heard of Gumtree but didn't know anyone who had used it so will look there but maybe the CT classifieds would attract an enthusiastic starter rather than a dealer. I'm not greedy and would let it go for less than mentioned but prefer it not to be bought by a dealer. I'm sure you can tell there is a lot of sentiment involved with this van!

No harm in trying CT Classifieds: they're free. However, I think most people on here tend to already have a van, worth a go though. Gumtree has sites for many areas: you would want www. gumtree. com/dorset

I've bought and sold on it a lot. You get a lot of timewasters but the things I like about it are it's local and it's free.

Only deal with people who come and look at it (the scammers all want to do deals not in person, just ignore anyone who won't physically come.) Only let it go when they have given you CASH. Your details are confidential, your email address doesn't show Gumtree forward enquiries on to you.

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

No harm in trying CT Classifieds: they're free. However, I think most people on here tend to already have a van, worth a go though. Gumtree has sites for many areas: you would want www. gumtree. com/dorset

I've bought and sold on it a lot. You get a lot of timewasters but the things I like about it are it's local and it's free.

Only deal with people who come and look at it (the scammers all want to do deals not in person, just ignore anyone who won't physically come.) Only let it go when they have given you CASH. Your details are confidential, your email address doesn't show Gumtree forward enquiries on to you.

:goodpost:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thank you Henrypartridge for your helpful comments. Some really valuable advice. Time to get on with it now.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on my topic. Put it on Gumtree for a cheeky £650 and a lady came and bought it without even examining it! Said I looked trustworthy and the van smelt nice and was clean and fresh inside. Wanted it as a spare sleeping space for visitors. We delivered locally for free. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Nice one! :D

The basic Orestes would have set you back £6,095 in 1993, so I'd say you did well for a 20 year old 'van.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Nice one! :D

The basic Orestes would have set you back £6,095 in 1993, so I'd say you did well for a 20 year old 'van.

and so did the lady who bought it. I bet it more than covers the costs of any short term self catering type accommodation for her visitors. Win Win