Xtrail T31 Battery Drain

MalH

Just home after 5 weeks in Spain and I find the battery on my 61 reg T31 XT barely holding enough power to turn the engine over. This is in spite of leaving it connected to a low-wattage solar charger, albeit not in direct sunlight due to my garage window facing the wrong way at this time of year. The same thing happened after 9 weeks away last year, in that instance the battery had insufficient power other than to open the doors. Neither event will have done the battery much good and maybe another winter will see it off.

My question is whether it is possible to disconnect the battery on the XT T31 model without harming the electronics or losing critical memory anywhere? This is what I do with the caravan battery and it was still comfortably charged on both occasions. The trouble emanates, I suspect, from the number of gizmos that continue to be powered in the background when the vehicle is idle.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

How many times do you click the key fob to lock it?

I was told a second press may turn off more electronic items than a single press.

Love to have this confirmed. :)

Checking the drain current with a multimeter connected to the battery may show some more info?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I don't use the key fob as a rule, I simply press the button on one of the doors or tailgate! Interesting theory. .......

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Get a meter or get someone with a meter to check the battery to see if you are a losing power.

If not shown losing power then it's the battery or the altenator imo.

If it shows losing power remove fuses one by one to see which system is causing the power drain.

Mal

You don't say whether you have smart charging?

So it is possible that the battery isn't getting sufficient charge, or its just a excessive parasitic drain.

First thing is to buy a plug in voltmeter, under £3 from amazon or ebay, I have two one lives in the car, the other in the caravan. Use it to see what voltage you have, I have one that reads 0. 1v high, the other reads 0. 1 low, so not 100% accurate.

If it is parasitic drain, it is possible but not easy, to put an ammeter across the negative terminal and lift the clamp up so all current is through the meter, and no power interruption.

A drain off under 50ma is normal.

Note allow the car to power down for some time after lifting the bonnet and locking the car, otherwise the drain is normally higher, 30 mins should be enough.

If you do interrupt the power certain functions will need reinitializing, typically auto shut on the windows and sunroof, at least that the situation with my Mazda cx-5.

The drain on my mazda is 29ma.