Kerbweight And Towing Limit - Vw Passat Estate

thensum

Hello CT members

I am seriously considering changing the caravan in the next few weeks, and also waiting ton the delivery of my new company car, this being due on or after 18 April 2014. The current situation I face and I would like your advice on is as follows. ......

Current car: VW Passat 1. 6TDI 105 PS Estate (Bluemotion)

Kerbweight: 1542kg

Towing Limt: 1200kg (with brakes, gradients up to 12%) 1,400kg (with brakes gradients up to 8%)

Potential new caravan weights:

MRO: 1204kg

MTPLM: 1360kg

When I did an outfit check on the CC web site the towing limit caused the outfit not to be compatible, however surely as the kerbweight shows at around 91% then I should be OK? I only need to tow the van back home from the dealer approx 70 miles and also an easter trip to The Old Oaks. After these trips I will have my new car which has a match of 86. 5% and a towing limit of 1800kg! I am not sure why the towing limit is so low on my current vehicle compared to the kerbweight, may be it is due to the low BHP (105PS)? My new car is 140PS.

I have been towing for 2 years and always take my time, load the van correctly, put alot of weight in the car, awning etc. .behind the passenger seat, check the noseweight, tyres etc. ..

I know when I have the new car in 4-5 weeks the outfit match will be great, it is just what we do in the meantime. ...

Advice please. ...

thensum :)

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

The Bluemotion models have a lower towload limit than their non-Bluemotion counterparts. I believe this is due to the fact that they are geared primarily for low consumption and the engine cooling system is also partly blocked off to achieve better fuel economy.

As long as you don't need to negotiate gradients in excess of 8% on your way from the dealer back home you haven't got a problem. If there's a 12% gradient somewhere on the way, the caravan will just have to be kept lightly laden, as close as possible to the MIRO, so that you don't exceed the 1200kg towing limit.

Edited by Lutz

You should be fine unless you meet any hills as said then you will need to use the gearbox . Just keep the weight down till you get your new car ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks guys for the advice I feel less worried now and to be honest with the current van I am used to using the gears up and down the hills, so I will need to be mindful of this a little more. The trip back from the dealer could either be the M3/M25/M23, so a little bit of a hill on the M3 at the cutting through Twyford downs, but other than that pretty flat most of the way. Alternatively I could use the A31/A3/M25/M23, slower, reasonably flat just rather pot holed/bumpy following all the storms, so the M-Way probably the better option. Just need to hope that I can strike a good deal on the van this Sunday. ..here's hoping! :unsure:

Some steep slopes on the A31 approaching M3 and a long decent on A31 to the M3 I always take with extreme care. Motorways are flatter.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks CD for the advice.

I am also trying to remember what the route along the A303 is like to The Old Oaks for Easter when we will be carrying a little more weight! I seem to recall there are a few steep ascents and descent around the Salisbury area.

I use to tow with my 2009 2. 0 110BHP Passat estate, I weighed the car and caravan when it was ready for use and I am sure the car was over 1800kg with just me in it and our van was 1560kg. I know mine was a 2. 0 but this model was replaced with your and the power/torque were about the same. It managed fine but you had to use the gears and keep the revs over 2000 to make good progress.

2012 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4, PowrHD Mover, Kamper 390 awning, Tugged by a 2010 Volvo V70 D5 Geartronic TwinTurbo

ava1.jpg

Hi Cannondale, yes my model did replace the 2. 0 litre thanks for the reply, it's put my mind at ease. Our dealer has also offered to deliver our new van to home, so we will only have to make the one return trip to The Old Oaks before we then get the newer more powerful VW Passat Estate.

Edited by thensum

Fr your trip to old oaks, it may be worth towing it empty and if you have one, use a second car for the contents. Blue motion cars tend to have a lower towing limit due to also lighter materials being used.

Also make sure you warm the car before you tow as well, as last thing you want to do is for things to go pop as you pull away! Mind you, if you have mayday, they will take it there for you!!

I've decided to book a much more local site for our Easter break 19 miles from home, so we can pack light and pop home if needs be! I don't think The Old Oaks will transfer our deposit again as this will be the second time we have wanted to move the date, I can only ask! If for some reason the new van purchase doesn't go through then I guess we can move the local site booking (CCC) and still go to The Old Oaks with our old van.

• 1 month later...

Well just to update you all the car pulled our new van fine today as we picked it up from Chichester Caravans in Winchester and headed back to West Sussex. Great handover with the team they were so professional and organised we would definitely recommend this branch. Now looking forward to our Easter trip to Crowborough CCC site this weekend and only a matter of days before we pick up the new car.