Ugrading Caravan...

CaravanCouple21

hi everyone

for the past 2 years we have been caravanning in a freedom jetstream with a citroen c4 picaso 1. 6 diesel and have loved every minute of it. however. ..we now would like to upgrade to a slightly larger/ newer tourer as the freedom is simply too small to be staying in for long holidays. Would prefer a van to have a toilet and shower, and even a fixed bed. ....only concern is that we need to know if our picaso can tow a larger caravan, the freedom only weighs 750kgs, and we understand that by adding a toilet shower or bed to a van will obviously make the van heavier. ..just wondering if this can be done with our car. .....

thanks for any advice

Citroen C4 Picasso towing Freedom Jetstream

A Picasso might be able to handle more but you need to be specific about the model, the year and the engine. There are all sorts of sources for information, including your car's handbook, a Citroen dealer, Citroen Customer Services, Caravan Club and C&CC Tech Advice, and websites such as What Towcar, Honest John etc.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I had a look on the CC website and quite honestly the range was very small. It does suggest that the Bailey Ranger 6 series was a good match and some of the Lunar Clubman range was possible but not good. As Lunar are known for being lightweight and even they don't match well I think perhaps you are being a bit ambitious in what you can safely tow. We all see people towing on the motorway with the van swaying about where it is not a good match and it isn't worth risking your life and other people's. Is there no chance that you could change your car for something a bit heavier?

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

A new Picasso 1. 6 diesel will tow up to 1600kg I think but the Picasso's have been around since '99 so you need to know which specific one before taking any decision.

I've just done a quick check on HJ and the '07 to '13 Picasso 1. 6 and the tow weight varied between 1240 & 1340kg depending on model. So you need to be very specific. Those limits will let you drag all the Eriba Tourings with washrooms except the more recent Trolls with their 1300kg limit.

Hi again

Our car is a citroen c4 picasso 1. 6 diesel 2008 (58) plate. ...csn we definately get a bigger caravan than our freedom? Thanks again

Hi,

According to Towsafe you have a 1300kg tow limit, although for some reason it doesn't show the kerbweight of the car (this should be on your VIN plate under the bonnet)

You 'll definitely be able to go a fair bit bigger than your Freedom based on this info!

Reading Caravans - Main dealers for Bailey, Swift Group and Lunar

Servicing, warranty and repair work available.

We also offer motor Movers, Covers, Awnings and more from our on-site shop

Contact me on 01189 888111 or ed. ewer@readingcaravans. com

If its 1300kg then all Eriba Tourings are within reach, plus a lot of two berth 'normal' vans. There are some four berths under 1300kg MTPLM (mine included), but most are over than limit.

hi everyone

for the past 2 years we have been caravanning in a freedom jetstream with a citroen c4 picaso 1. 6 diesel and have loved every minute of it. however. ..we now would like to upgrade to a slightly larger/ newer tourer as the freedom is simply too small to be staying in for long holidays. Would prefer a van to have a toilet and shower, and even a fixed bed. ....only concern is that we need to know if our picaso can tow a larger caravan, the freedom only weighs 750kgs, and we understand that by adding a toilet shower or bed to a van will obviously make the van heavier. ..just wondering if this can be done with our car. .....

thanks for any advice

If I remember right from before you only have a b licence or did you take a B+E test as you might have to watch how big you go and the figures dont go over the 3500kg in choice of caravan? Bigger caravan sometimes leads to the need of a bigger car .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I have a Citroen C5 and although it has a towing limit of 1500kgs the kerbweight is only 1410kgs so a safe caravan weight to tow is around 1250kgs. To this end we bought a Bailey Orion 430/4 that has a mtplm of 1249kgs and has a fixed bed plus an end washroom. It tows well and although it is compact it is very comfy and has everything we need. We bought it when it was 12 months old for £10700 with a full warranty and it looked brand new so are very happy with it.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Hello, assuming it is the 110 bhp 1. 6HDI, towing limit seems to be 1300 kg (as suggested above) and the kerbweight is shown by Autotrader to be 1499kg. If those numbers are correct (check your documentation!) then the tow limit is set at approx 87% of kerbweight so you are unlikely to have problems towing with a van close to that limit.

Gross vehicle weight is shown as 2060 kg. If you are on the B license you need a caravan with a MTPLM below 1440 kg to stay legal.

The Bailey mentioned above is an excellent suggestion if you can run to that kind of money. Our current caravan has a MTPLM of 1340kg (MIRO of 1079 kg), a fixed bed, shower and as a 2001 model caravan, gives you an idea of what you might get for around £3 - £5000. There weren't many fixed bed caravans around before that date, but you could just buy a traditional five berth end dinette layout and leave it set up as a double bed if you wanted to go older/cheaper.

From your previous postings as above, you could probably tow a number of lighter weight 2, 4 and even some 5 and 6 berths

Check out www. caravanfinder. co. uk

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Hi again

Our car is a citroen c4 picasso 1. 6 diesel 2008 (58) plate. ...csn we definately get a bigger caravan than our freedom? Thanks again

Your second Post concerns me . ...... Why do you not just check a Citroen website for Towing Weights instead of getting us all to do your basic Home Work. .. Suggest you stick to your Freedom. ..... Keeping us all Safe,,,,,

GAS . ..... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

FYI i have referred to citroen and im getting conflicting information. ..pkus i thought the idea of this site is for caravanners to come together to help and advise each other. ...not to send nasty remarks . ..no need for it at all. I also on numerous occaisions thanked everyone for their help. ..so whats the harm???

FYI i have referred to citroen and im getting conflicting information. ..pkus i thought the idea of this site is for caravanners to come together to help and advise each other. ...not to send nasty remarks . ..no need for it at all. I also on numerous occaisions thanked everyone for their help. ..so whats the harm???

***** a break. ........... :rolleyes: Every one who tows safely should know there vehicles capabilities. .. No intention in being nasty but must we have to inform something that they should already know. ...

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

CC21 you had to upgrade your car so it would be capable of pulling the Freedom

In all honesty if you are looking for a bigger caravan and a fixed bed

I would get a better car first then up grade caravan

I remember last time you said the car price was as much as you could afford And also if memory serves me right you have a sloping drive

Its good you have come back for advice Hope yu get what you are looking for

The harm is that ultimately we are a group of unknown quantities. As a sensible law abiding driver you SHOULD be doing all this research.

It is YOUR responsibility. We can and do offer advice.

But to drink the water, you must choose.

Youve been told how to work out the weights.

Youve been told opinions about your car.

Now fly the nest and enjoy caravanning!

Try looking on Parkers website link below for you car. Copy and paste into your browser web address bar and hit return.

http://www. parkers. co. uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/citroen/c4-picasso/estate-2007/dimensions/

It lists lots of specs for many vehicles and is really useful. Remember you're looking at vans as a guide of 85% (MTPLM) of the kerbweight of your car and not exceeding 1300kgs in your case. Once you've ascetained your max MTPLM figure then you can start searching. Caravan trader have a 'refine search by weight filter' which is pretty good and show you a variety of models that are suitable. Should give you somewhere to start from at least!