Gas Cylinders

a18041967

I'm currently using two calor gas cylinders, ones nearly empty, the other is fully, due to the fact that calor gas is so dirty, and propane is better in colder weather I was going to use the opportunity to transition to propane cylinders, and may consider the new BP cylinders. I have a few questions that hopefully people will be able to help with:

1. I'll need a new regulator / feed pipe (new Bailey Caravan 2005) can I fit this connecting pipe myself or should it be fitted by a professional ?

2. Having owned the two calor gas cylinders for so long I do not have a receipt for the original deposit. Will this be a problem, can I request my depost back without a receipt.

3. If the answer to 2 is no, are there any dealers around that stock both calor gas & BP cylinders that maybe able to assist.

4. Are there any additional brackets or fittings required to transition to propane either the normal red cylinders or the new BP ones.

Many Thanks

I'm currently using two calor gas cylinders, ones nearly empty, the other is fully, due to the fact that calor gas is so dirty, and propane is better in colder weather I was going to use the opportunity to transition to propane cylinders, and may consider the new BP cylinders. I have a few questions that hopefully people will be able to help with:

1. I'll need a new regulator / feed pipe (new Bailey Caravan 2005) can I fit this connecting pipe myself or should it be fitted by a professional ?

2. Having owned the two calor gas cylinders for so long I do not have a receipt for the original deposit. Will this be a problem, can I request my depost back without a receipt.

3. If the answer to 2 is no, are there any dealers around that stock both calor gas & BP cylinders that maybe able to assist.

4. Are there any additional brackets or fittings required to transition to propane either the normal red cylinders or the new BP ones.

Many Thanks

Hi A!!!!!!!

To try and answer your questions.

Question 2, 3 & 4 first.

You will not be able to get any deposit back on your Calor cylinders. Although they call it a deposit, there is no refund system. :( So either keep the Calor cylinders or when empty take them to your local tip who will take them. Some places will swap butane cylinders for propane at no charge when you buy refills, other may charge you. You must take Calor cylinders to a Calor dealer for exchange. Most of the other makes of Gas do not charge for the cylinder ie Shell, Flogas etc.

The BP lightweight cylinders are in like hens teeth. I know they cost £25 (deposit!!!!!) for the cylinder and I think its plus around £17 for 11Kg of gas. Best to have a look at the BP website

www. bpgaslight. co. uk

The propane cylinders will fit in place of your current butane ones without any modifications as they are about the same diameter.

Finally the first question about the Bailey van. I thought that new vans had a regulator supplied that was built into the van with a fixed length pigtail to the gas bottle. If yours is only for Butane you will need to enquire about changing it at your local Bailey dealer.

Mine is a 2003 Arizona and that was supplied with 2 propane regulators and a switchover system.

Perhaps Mr Sheens could step in here and answer this one or someone who has a 2005 Bailey.

I hope that answers your questions

Bob R

Hi

I found the reverse problem recently. .....I wanted a spare cylinder and found that I would have to stump up the Calor Gas rip off deposit. .....where you never get your money back!!!

So I went to the tip who told me that they could no longer supply them. ........not even for a fee!!

So, I went on Ebay and found loads for sale. .......often getting £10 plus

So, my advice would be get the spare bottles on ebay and make a few quid, I mean, by rights, I suppose you own the bottle as although they belong to Calor gas you have paid for them (although I am sure that Calor will tell you that they cost more than £25 to make!!!)

Cheers

Archived