Test Drive Of 2014 Citroen Picasso Diesel Grand C4 7 Seater

ancell

Drove the new citroen picasso diesel grand C4 7 seater yesterday.

It was the e-HDi115 Airdream with paddleshift 6 speed ETG box described in the spec as manual-very misleading!

117 BHP HDi diesel comes with sat nav cruise control rear reversing camera digital display folding wing mirrors keyless ignition 6 fold flat seats-passenger seat folds window blinds dipping mirror parking sensors electric auto hand brake-which after 3 years I now miss.

Boot is as big as our 3 year old Ford Galaxy-wife measured it-middle row seats are slimmer than Galaxy and of course if you are 6 foot 4 you will have to watch your head-not a problem with the Galaxy. It does feel squashed after 3 years with the galaxy.

It looks great with its 17 inch alloys.

Climbing in I noticed the cockpit has changed-the plastic bits look like they will not break off in your hand

I took it on the winding road to the motorway and expected it to wallow and nod its way thro the bends in true rural France fashion.

What a revelation not only better than the old C4 in my opinion better than our 3 years with us Galaxy.

No hard chop like the Ford nice smooth travel and a bit of feedback though the bends.

Auto change was far better than the old C4 and I would say better than the ford 6 speed auto box.

On to the motorway quicker to accelerate than the big ford even though its got 20 plus HP power less.

Changing lanes again booting it on it gets up to above 70 quickly enough probably due to its slippery shape.

Wind noise is appreciably quieter than the ford could be due to the fords 3 year old door seals nevertheless no whistling or strange sounds.

Maximum recommended tow is 1500 kilos braked for this spec with all up car weight being 2150 kilos.

Nose weight is 70 kilos maximum.

Claimed MPG a stunning combined 70. 6 if its only 55 MPG thats going to be an amazing 12 MPG better than the ford-averaged over 50000 miles.

My only problem is choosing between the 117 or 130 HP 1. 6 engine!

Good luck with your decision. I would say I have never ever wished I had less power in car if that helps which model to choose!

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I agree good horsepower is more horsepower unfortunately it costs £400 more for 13HP

Negotiate hard and it may not be? Either way on a relatively large vehicle with relatively low power its a reasonable percentage increase which is more noticeable than saying going from 250 to 263 bhp?

And you may notice is more when you are towing don't forget

Just my tuppence worth

Unfortunately I cannot negotiate its a motability lease contract for 3 years.

You pay an excess at the start for a big vehicle then the lease runs.

Everything is included maintenance tyres glass insurance break down cover.

The tow bar costs £400 you must write that off or remove it.

All the costs are laid out in the contract between motability and the car company

Never had a puncture in decades and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Till last summer near the Calveen Pass on the A9. My Swift Challenger 540 suffered explosive decompression on the outer tyre. Ripped a hole in the floor I was lucky I had a spare or I would have been stuck overnight in that very rare thing on the A9 a layby.

The RAC had me on my way within the next 90 minutes.

My neighbour on the site had a similar blow out. The tyre chunks hit the bottom of his wardrobe which moved upwards and cracked the roof-the caravan was a write off.

Be careful about the auto box Ancell.

PSA have an abysmal record with autos, very few of their models have offered them 'til recently and those that have tend to be those 'orrible automated manuals that take an age to change and are very, very jerky.

I was reading up the new Pug 308SW and whilst you can get two engines with autoboxes only one is homologated for towing (2 litres/1500kg) and there's not a word anywhere about what type of box it uses. When that happens it makes me think they're hiding something.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My last Citroen Grand C4s box was a similar 6 speed paddle shift with 2 litre diesel 43 MPG over 60000 miles inc towing.

I agree that the box was jerky and unpredictable.

The stench of burning ferodo reversing up the driveway with our old caravan was alarming but the clutch survived.

The new box appears to be a big improvement-time will tell.

Trouble is I either get another ancient design Ford Galaxy stark functional with impossible to read analogue instruments with no extras or a brand new design C4 chassis and engine with a lot of toys especially useful reversing camera for the same money.

I can risk unreliability because the vehicle is on lease.

My latest caravan Swift Challenger 540 has a mover so no more reversing with the car-providing the battery is charged and the batteries work in the remote.

Go Citreon, 25 years of owning them then changed to a VW back to a Citreon again very soon. Never once had a failure in a Citreon, but have in the VW.

The gearbox I found just needs a slight adjustment of driving style to make it very smooth, I would also go for the more powerful engine.

Why just a choice between a Ford and a Citroen Ancell, there's a whole world of cars out there?

Why just a choice between a Ford and a Citroen Ancell, there's a whole world of cars out there?

Presumably not if on motability and need to be able to tow a certain amount?

Do Motability limit your brand then?

Do Motability limit your brand then?

It certainly limits some models within some brands yes

Here is the motability vehicle range search engine

http://www. motability. co. uk/cars-and-wavs/

If you are receiving the upper band mobility allowance you can forfeit part or all in my case for a motability vehicle.

3 year contract everything included at the end you just change to another.

Its a massive industry and VERY important to the dealers so surprise surprise a motability customer gets five star treatment.

In event of anything going wrong RAC have a motability breakdown number so you get priority.

It does suffer from fraud and abuse though EG taxiing motability vehicles- named driver using the vehicle in London-with blue badge-registered user in Glasgow :) .

Rules have been tightened up recently the fleet has been slimmed down and almost all offers must have a maximum of £2000 supplement-payable in advance.

Unfortunately very few vehicles suit me I need a 7 seater for the rare but essential times when I carry 7 people.

In addition the big MPVs suit my limited movement leg wise.

Almost went for a Peogeot MPV then paid a bit more attention-the floor cill was to high for me getting in.

Regarding quality I think most modern vehicles are very well made.

Its just your luck.

Our Citroen C4 MPV of 6 years ago was unreliable several major faults and at least 4 minor but every one required a day to put right so from my point of view a burnt out w/s washer motor is just the same as the engine "brain"acting up.

I was tempted to think my Ford Galaxy was uber reliable having had NIL faults in 3 years 50000 miles.

What did the ford mechanic say when I told him?

"You were lucky then"

Regarding caravanning with such a vehicle.

There is no problem but you MUST inform motability you intend to do it.

You MUST get an approved fitter to fit the tow bar and the elctrics.

Your caravan MUST be fit for towing.

Failure to carry out the above EG D-I-Y tow bar well nothing will occur until you have an accident or the dealer reports the unauthorised tow bar[highly unlikely]then you will be in real soapy bubble-insurance wise at least.

Caravanners are not best served with instructions regarding procedures for towing with motability vehicles.

Motability cover themselves with the weasel words "manufacturers specification" and "approved items" etc.

I think many of us including me get a bit snobby about car badges probably due to all the wrecks we ran around in in our poverty stricken youth.

Personally I liked my luxury cars BMW series5 Volvo 850 230 BHP Audi with all the extras but I could not get in and out them easily now.

In the cold light of day the Citroen C4 in 2014 gives the very latest technology.

I realise casual use of these paddle shift electric hand brake machines is a nightmare but I got used to ours-after 18 months!!

The hand brake on the Galaxy is manual and worse it is poor-on a brand new vehicle!!-it has never been much good on mine.

The present galaxy is ancient technology which sways me towards the C4.

In my youth ford would always be superior to citroen they have certainly always cost more :).

Nowadays its just badge engineering eg the disasterous mistake by Mercedes to sell sheds made from rubbish with the 5 point star on the bonnet in the 80s.