Problem With Jockey Wheel- Help

Big Tim

Hi

OUr 'van is fitted with the Alko Premium jockey wheel. The type with the built in noseweight gauge.

Yestgerday whilst towing up the M6 enroute to Keswick just before the Appleby Services there was a loud bang and a sound of something dragging. I immediately pulled onto the hardshoulder onto the hardshoulder I found that the JW had dropped to the road and the tyre had "disappeared". I cannot understand how this had happened as I clearly recollect tightening the JW clamp just prior to setting off for Keswick

Anway on arrival at Keswick I got pitched with the help of the warden and tractor. After doing some internet research I discovered that a replacement wheel is available and this morning tried to remove the old wheel with a view to odering a replacemnt to be delivered here.

The wheel appears to be held in place by 2 circular clips with an integral pin which goes through holes in each end of the axle tube. I thought that it would just be a matter of removing these clips and knocking the axle tube out so that the wheel could be removed. However, this has proved impossible. After trying with the JW still in place I removed the JW assembly by tilting the 'van and then winding JW wheel handle until 2 halves separated and bottom half fell out. Even then, however, with the wheel flat on a hard surface I've found it impossible to knock the axle tube out. It has moved a few cm but will not knock right through. i've only got limited tools with me and have been using a socket extension bar with a hammer.

I've tried contacting Alko Tech support but have been waiting nearly 2 hours for a promised call-back. I'm wondering if the axle tube/JW assembly has been damaged by the incident and the whole JW needs replacing. If it does need replacing I think that I will be just replacing with a standard JW as the Premium one is a lot of money for what it does.

Any advice will be gratefully received regarding replacing the wheel or JW. We have a motor mover fitted and I wonder about fitting a pneumatic tyred one as a replacement.

Tim

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

We fitted a complete new jockey wheel assembly when we changed to a pneumatic tyre. It seemed the easier option. And now we have a spare (the old one) that I cart around with us all the time !

We bought it from The Caravan Shop - Alko pneumatic jockey wheel. £39. 95. I'd give them a call and see how fast they can deliver it to you on your site. It's normally pretty fast anyway.

Fitting the the new one is a doddle, as you have already found out - they just unscrew into two parts, the top and the bottom. You just need some extra height/clearance under the clamp at the front.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Sounds like the axle tube has seized in the wheel . I would dry some Wd 40 and let it soak . Failing that would try any local garages that can stick if under a press to give a bit of persuasion.

I have bought a whole new jockey assembly when I have had problems and now carry a new one in the van just in case.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Not only the clamp has to be tightened, always make sure the handle has been tightened too. ...... On a journey these can actually rewind themselves, eventually dropping the wheel down

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

We fitted a complete new jockey wheel assembly when we changed to a pneumatic tyre. It seemed the easier option. And now we have a spare (the old one) that I cart around with us all the time !

We bought it from The Caravan Shop - Alko pneumatic jockey wheel. £39. 95. I'd give them a call and see how fast they can deliver it to you on your site. It's normally pretty fast anyway.

Fitting the the new one is a doddle, as you have already found out - they just unscrew into two parts, the top and the bottom. You just need some extra height/clearance under the clamp at the front.

Hi

I was particularly interested to hear that you are using a pneumatic JW as you have the same 'van as us. I did consider a pneumatic one when we had the Motor mover fitted a couple of years back but was put off by posts about the tyre deflating and problems fitting it into the towbar housing when it was lifted.

I'd be VERY interested to hear of your experiences with your pneumatic-tyred JW as it looks as though I'll be ordering a new one!!

Thanks

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

A bit late now I know but two years ago, after a long journey back from France, I experienced a similar incident on the M1 about two miles from home. What I believe that I must have done is to wind up the jockey wheel but instead of ensuring it was between the two slits, I had merely wound against the bottom edge of the outer. It had slowly unwound itself until we experienced a dragging noise which was the wheel intermittently dragging on the road. If I had not been on a smotth motorway, I might well have sheared the wheel off on a road bump or worn it much more. just a thought for the future perhaps, especially if you're still searching for answers.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Thanks everyone.

I'm very puzzled by the accident as I know that I had fully tightened the side clamp handle and wound up the wheel fully. I remember thinking I'll snap this if I tighten it anymore!!!

I've now heard back from Alko and the tech guy thought that the impact of the wheel hitting the road may well have distorted its axle tube. I think that there's, also, a good chance that even if I could get a new wheel on the noseweight spring mechanism may have been damaged by the JW being dragged along the motorway at 55+mph.

I'd be grateful for recommendations as to the best replacment JW to get, bearing in mind we have a motor mover. I have second thoughts about getting another Alko Premium as they cost c£80 and the solid tyre has not worn very well.

Regards

Tim

Any advice will be gratefully received regarding replacing the wheel or JW. We have a motor mover fitted and I wonder about fitting a pneumatic tyred one as a replacement.

First thing I did when we picked our new van in Jan last year was change the JW to a pneumatic. It really does work much better than a standard wheel in my experience. I think this would be case whether you had a mover or not. The wider footprint makes it much less likely to dig in to the ground .

Also, have had no issues with deflation at all. It hasn't required any re-inflation since it was fitted.

Definatly go the pneumatic tyre, they roll over bumps much better than the solid tyre, which is what you want with movers.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

First thing I did when we picked our new van in Jan last year was change the JW to a pneumatic. It really does work much better than a standard wheel in my experience. I think this would be case whether you had a mover or not. The wider footprint makes it much less likely to dig in to the ground .

Also, have had no issues with deflation at all. It hasn't required any re-inflation since it was fitted.

I did exactly the same but the one we bought did go down as people say. I popped it round to the local garage who popped some soap on the tyre edges and then pumped it up, pop it sealed against the wheel rim and only gets checked / topped up once a year. He did say that you will never get a tyre even a small one to seat properly unless a high pressure air hose is used as 12v compressors are too slow. I have a kerb and and a couple of raised areas to cross with the van to park it up at home with the mover and the pneumatic tyre is a lot better than the one provided with the van. Edited by dave11a

If a pneumatic is used its worth having a spare wheel for a puncture as when its flat you are not going anywhere very easily .

I got caught out with a flat jockey wheel once. I now use puncture proof tyres for that reason .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The motor mover works much better with a pneumatic jockey wheel. I got a spare wheel for mine quite cheaply from a local motor factor and keep it in the front locker in case I have a puncture. On mine, the axle is held in place by a split pin and I can change the wheel in a few minutes easily. I suppose that an 'R' clip would make things even easier!

John. :)

Edited by leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

If you do give him a call his name is Neil.

Mmmmm that's all very interesting. ... Are the inflatable spare wheels ok off EBay. ..at about £7. .....?

Worth buying if they are ok. .they look to have a plastic hub. ..others go up to £16ish. ..

Any info gratefully received.

To

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

Beware what you buy, some of these wheels are for small trailers only, and have a smaller diameter hole

Sorry to hear about your accident with jockey wheel, its not that uncommon. As regards removing the wheel from the axle, it is obviously the wheel and/or axle tube must be bent as your tech guy from Alko has said. Attached (hopefully) is a diagram I just ran up to show you where the jockey wheel should locate when towing and also direction wheel should face when towing.

post-64855-0-02833900-1394122977_thumb.jpg

Mmmmm that's all very interesting. ... Are the inflatable spare wheels ok off EBay. ..at about £7. .....?

Worth buying if they are ok. .they look to have a plastic hub. ..others go up to £16ish. ..

Any info gratefully received.

To

Tim

http://www. trailertek. com/acatalog/indexcat1. html

Hi

I was particularly interested to hear that you are using a pneumatic JW as you have the same 'van as us. I did consider a pneumatic one when we had the Motor mover fitted a couple of years back but was put off by posts about the tyre deflating and problems fitting it into the towbar housing when it was lifted.

I'd be VERY interested to hear of your experiences with your pneumatic-tyred JW as it looks as though I'll be ordering a new one!!

Thanks

Tim

The pneumatic tyre is much better for popping up kerbs and going over grass when using the mover. It's especially good over soggy grass and doesn't dig in at all. We have experienced this with a narrow wheel and it was a bit of a nightmare !

It stows easily - maybe sticking down a bit lower as it's bigger but we haven't had any problems with it hitting anything.

It does lose a small amount of air and can end up being a bit soggy but this doesn't seem to affect anything when using the mover. I make sure I pump it up with a bicycle pump a bit if this happens. I do tend to stow it when we have parked the van on the drive so there's no weight on it. And I take the weight off it when pitched up on site, just using it as a 'steady'.

We use the mover to hitch, unhitch and park on site and on the drive. In these cases we always try and make sure the jockey wheel is parallel to the hitch and under the fairing as the wheel can get stuck if halfway under the edge of the fairing when the hitch is lowered onto the tow ball or when levelling. It just means going backwards and forwards a bit with the mover before lowering the hitch.

When unhitching we drop the jockey wheel so that its axle is about an inch below the fairing then we unwind it to the ground. This seems to give the perfect amount of clearance when unhitching.

Hope this makes sense. ...... ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Very interesting thread.

My van has a conventional Alko JW.

I am considering fitting a pneumatic but the Alko pneumatic JW is two inches more in diameter than the conventional JW.

My conventional JW has seven inches clearance from the ground, incidentally this is the same as the mover.

However with a pneumatic fitted the clearance would be five inches, is this enough for speed bumps etc ?

Given that the car would be across the speed bump and if the speed bump had a total height of five inches then there would be contact as the van went over the speed bump.

Job in the pending tray at the moment.

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences anyone might have.

If you have a choice between steel and plastic hubs their have been posts of members bumping up and down kerbs and the plastic hubs breaking and the steel would be more robust .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

If you have a choice between steel and plastic hubs their have been posts of members bumping up and down kerbs and the plastic hubs breaking and the steel would be more robust .

Dave

There has even been an instance of a plastic hub, going bang!

I forgot to say in Post Number 10 that the Caravan Shop is in Glasgow

The Caravan Shop

364 Great Western Road

Glasgow

G4 9HT

proprieter; Neil

Dave

When I looked at replacing ours a few years back at an accessories shop at a dealer while we were away the chap was really pushing the "on offer" plastic wheel but I wanted the steel wheel. After buying the one I wanted he did say that they had made a mistake stocking them and had several returned due to the rim breaking and they were trying to get rid cheap. I did buy the plastic wheel and tyre as well which was the same size etc at a very knock down price to keep in the front locker as a spare and it's still sat there unused.

The Caravan Shop

364 Great Western Road

Glasgow

G4 9HT

proprieter; Neil

As you have mentioned them off topic sorry but I have just bought 2 x Milenco Grand Aero mirror heads with flat glass for £28 delivered from them to upgrade my milenco mirrors, bargain. Edited by dave11a

I think the plastic ones also are effected by the cold weather and frost making the plastic go brittle .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your advice. Having considered all the comments I ordered an Alko pneumatic jockey wheel from the Caravan Shop. It was delivered 2 working days later and is now fitted on the c'van. I have inflated the tyre to 30psi and the tyre seems to fit under the hitch fairing okay.

I've not yet had an opportunity to test it in action as we are still at Keswick CCC as we decided to extend our stay until this coming Friday. We may have to stay a bit longer as high winds are currently forecast for Friday.

THANKS VERY MUCH EVERYONE for your timely advice.

Tim