7 Pin Socket To 13 Pin Caravan

murraymint

Hi,

I have a 13pin car and caravan with an socket I use to connect my car to a single 7 pin trailer when I tow it. Shortly a family member will be towing my caravan using his twin 7 pin towcar. If we just use my 7 pin socket he can only connect the single 7 pin black socket. Does that provide all the lights etc that he needs to tow the caravan legally - we don't care about battery charging or fridge use for this occasion. I'm just trying to avoid the cost of a twin adapter lead which I will never use again.

Cheers. Hope that makes sense!

Edit - now we have sat down and thought this through I think we have realised the problem. The adapter won't fit the car anyway as it's not 13 pin so it will not work in reverse. So feel free to ignore or delete this posting - I'm now going away to order an adapter lead!!

Edited by murraymint

I think you will find that all lights will work apart from the reversing light.

As they are run from the grey socket.

Dave

Dave & Annette .

05 Elddis Sunseeker 400RL

Yes, the 7 pin black socket supplies all the road legal lights.

Brian

Thanks Brian - at least I know that for future reference. Please note my edit above - I'm now in the process of ordering an adapter.

The only reason for needing a grey plug is where an electrical reversing solenoid is used. Pin number two in the old plug has had many uses over the time I have been involved with trailer towing. From ignition supply to work caravan interior lights to vacuum warning where vacuum brakes were used on trailer same with air warning but normally the larger plug was used with trailers using air. This was a problem as no air or vacuum mean pin two was connected to earth so I always include a fuse in the pin two wire. It was also used for reversing lamp when the electrical reversing solenoid became popular and finally became rear fog guard. All the other cables have been standard for as long as I can remember.

• 2 years later...

I have a 13pin socket on my car and the Van has a seven pin socket. I use a adapter with a 13 pin and a Black and Grey sockets. My reverse light on the van do not work or do i also need to plug both the Grey and Black Socket to the adapter?

The reversing lights are powered through pin 1 on the grey socket so yes you do have to plug both in.

Brian

:welcome: but this thread is 3 years old.

The caravan 7 pin plug gives road lights and makes you legal.

The caravan 7 pin grey socket gives battery charging and fridge cooling when the cars engine is running. I think it also gives reversing lights.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion