Cadiz Nose Weight Query

Francesca

Evening all, Am I right in assuming the Cadiz (or any unicorn I think) when towed completely empty, I. e. Straight from the dealers, has a nose weight of 100kgs? As we're new to all this, we're just getting our heads round the nose weight thing, and just felt it useful as a guide to know where our starting point is when loading. Clearly we've already added a gas bottle which is just forward of the axle, and we will attempt to check the nose weight on a gauge before setting off, but not feeling particularly confident that we know what we're doing, thought Id SOS. Thanks all. Francesca

It seems to be a thing typical of UK caravan manufacturers that the ex-works noseweight is often higher than the limits imposed on the towbar. Your findings are by no means unusual. It means, unfortunately, that if you pick a caravan like that up from the dealer, you would have to add ballast behind the axle in order not to exceed the maximum allowable noseweight on the towball.

Strange one this as on the 2014 Coachman Spec sheet it gives an empty nose weight figure of 60kgs . Now is this the van empty (MIRO) or the front locker ? Which contains one gas cylinder included in the MIRO figure .

Miro also includes weight of water in hot water system + 2kgs of water in toilet rinse system .

It does become very confusing, hence the need for noseweight gauges & weigh bridges to give you starting figures .

That would be my advice weigh,weigh weigh everything and work from those figures .

Luckily we are all different

The empty nose weight of caravans varies from model to model. When you collect a caravan for the first time it's typically only has the battery plus a mover if you have it fitted (maybe gas too) - so I was given good advice on this forum to take some ballast with you when you collect plus a nose gauge to give you a safe nose weight for the journey home. As an example our last Bailey nose was very light when we collected it, and the Sterling before that was very heavy - we used an awning on the floor of the caravan to get a safe nose weight for the way home. So you need to check your own caravan.

After that the nose weight is down to you and how you load it. Some Baileys have a reputation for high nose weights which are difficult to get down, but out last one had the opposite problem and we had to work hard to get the nose wright over 65kgs. So get an accurate nose gauge and get to know you caravan - and when you do you'll soon learn how to get it right everytime you load it. Just be aware that if you have been away for a fortnight that the nose weight can change for the journey home even if you pack it the same - gas bottles can be empty (6kg each) in the front locker and that 20kg of food you've used from the fridge and lockers can make a big difference.

I'd be astounded if it had an empty weight of anything like that though I've never weighed my Valencia empty. When I picked mine up and towed home it was twitchy, as they all are, because it didn't have enough nose weight. A Milenco nose weight gauge is a worthwhile investment.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Bailey publish the exworks nose weight for the series two unicorn, its in the brochure.

It will give some indication of what to expect, but you still need to take a nose weight gauge to be sure.

My Valencia was still 90kg with a battery behind the axle, mover behind the axle, and one 6kg gaslite part full in the front locker, exworks was supposed to be 88kg according to bailey.

Thanks everyone. Gosh the thought had never entered my head that you could possibly drive away from a dealers with an out of balanced van. Being new to towing, it was an anxious first journey anyway, I would have had kittens if Id have thought we were either significantly nose up or down (weight wise).

We have picked up a milenco guage and studied hard for our first loaded trip, but the reason for posting is our storage facility is on a slope, so I'm aware it may cause an inaccurate reading and we may have to find a safe lay-by or services to stop safely and check the nose weight properly. I was hoping to load as sensibly as possible in the meantime. Coming from years of motor homing, this is an utterly new consideration we've never had to think about before, but the weigh weigh weigh advice is excellent and I'm sure well get into these routines and it'll all become second nature. Thanks again all . F x

Wouldn't it be marvellous, if on handover of a new caravan the supplying dealer could give an accurate figure for the nose weight and the weight on each wheel. Pigs might fly, but one day we might get the customer service we need.

John.

Once you've used the gauge a few times and got the hang of how best to load it you shouldn't ned to keep checking, unless something changes. Also be guided by how it feels when it's towing. Getting it right will pay off in making towing comfier and more stable.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Wouldn't it be marvellous, if on handover of a new caravan the supplying dealer could give an accurate figure for the nose weight and the weight on each wheel. Pigs might fly, but one day we might get the customer service we need.

John.

My dealer did check the nose weight for me when the caravan arrived on site, it was 90kg.

Once you've used the gauge a few times and got the hang of how best to load it you shouldn't ned to keep checking, unless something changes. Also be guided by how it feels when it's towing. Getting it right will pay off in making towing comfier and more stable.

After a week away its surprising how the NW will alter, even though the wife assures me the loading is the same, a empty fridge makes a difference. It only takes a few minutes to put the Milenco under to test it.

Thanks everyone. Gosh the thought had never entered my head that you could possibly drive away from a dealers with an out of balanced van. Being new to towing, it was an anxious first journey anyway, I would have had kittens if Id have thought we were either significantly nose up or down (weight wise).

We have picked up a milenco guage and studied hard for our first loaded trip, but the reason for posting is our storage facility is on a slope, so I'm aware it may cause an inaccurate reading and we may have to find a safe lay-by or services to stop safely and check the nose weight properly. I was hoping to load as sensibly as possible in the meantime. Coming from years of motor homing, this is an utterly new consideration we've never had to think about before, but the weigh weigh weigh advice is excellent and I'm sure well get into these routines and it'll all become second nature. Thanks again all . F x

We once had a end kitchen layout that had a ex works nose weight of 35kg!

If you steeped inside with the legs up at the back it would tip up!

Edited by xtrailman

Towed our Cadiz back from our dealer last week, following some warranty work, with just 1 gas bottle and the battery in it and it was spot on 80kg.

When loaded with 2 gas bottles, stuff packed under all the bunks, fridge about half full and wardrobe quite full we get around 85kg which is just about perfect for our unit. Also tows really well at that.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Volvo XC60 Inscription Pro tugging Unicorn Cadiz S4

Mike, brilliant, thank you. I won't of course rely on it, but having a starting point of being pretty well balanced, has eased my concerns as a newbie approaching our first serious outing.

The good news is, Ive spent 24 hours reading all sorts of threads regards loads, nose weights, pendulum effects etc so feel more confident now than I did 24 hours ago. Whilst I'm sure it must drive long standing posters mad to keep getting the same old questions, DH and I are now armed with a decent NW guage, the correct information regards our unit, vehicle and tow ball, and the knowledge of what we need to try and achieve. So thank you all CT forum members :) Francesca x

I've got a U1 Madrid and I have to put two gas cylinders and about 20ltres of water as ballast in the front locker when the van is empty to get the nose weight to 85kg. The battery is in it's locker (aft of the axle) and its got a motor mover in front of it.

You really need to check it with a gauge (or bathroom scales and a broomstick). Take a couple of empty water jerry cans which you can fill if required to help ballast it out when bringing the empty van home.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Just be aware that if you have been away for a fortnight that the nose weight can change for the journey home even if you pack it the same - gas bottles can be empty (6kg each) in the front locker and that 20kg of food you've used from the fridge and lockers can make a big difference.

At last, some one that actually realizes that loading your van the same way each journey doesn't always give the same weight. ;)

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

We always end up taking home more that we took as my wife is a bit of a shopaholic, especially when there are new towns with shops to explore.

We don't use much gas and we always drain the water and empty the loo before we travel but food gets used up and most of the clothing ends up in the washing basket in the rear bathroom so I always recheck the noseweight before we leave site and it's surprising how much it can change.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

A couple of years back when we had our Senator California I checked the nose weight when leaving a campsite in Luxembourg only to find it had jumped from the normal 80kg to well over 100kg. We had to move a lot of stuff around to get it back to reasonable level.

After about an hour on the road I suddenly remembered that I had forgot to empty the on-board water tank which was full to the brim. We pulled into a layby, drained it out and moved our gear back to where it was in the first place. I was popular!!

Just another senior moment! Could have been worse, I guess. Could have come all the way home before I remembered!

Mike

Volvo XC60 Inscription Pro tugging Unicorn Cadiz S4

We forgot to empty the toilet waste tank after one summer trip to London - and that extra weight at the back of the caravan didn't help the stability on the motorway home! Our mistake wasn't noticed until the caravan had been sat in the sun on the driveway for a fortnight!! Let's just say it's not a mistake we'll make again.