Amara Electrics

Mickeverall

Hi, I have recently bought the amara 580/4 2008. All the electrics work except the sockets and the 2 x coach lamps at the front with the glass lenses! Can you please help me!!! Ps I am new to this caravan.

Thanks mick

Hi Mick, sorry if this is obvious have you checked all the trips. If all the sockets are off, maybe worth doing a swop of the trips. Its possible to have a faulty one. Maybe add a pic of the distribution/trip unit.

Are the lights on the same trip as the sockets?

It maybe an easy fix -fingers crossed.

Hi,

You dont say if you had mains electric plugged into your van or not so how about trying that ? a number of vans in the past had the lamps wired into the mains not 12 volts ( battery ) If that does not cure your problem look at the mains fuse box ( in wardrobe/ under bed or a small hatch in a bed base ) and check the isolator switch ( s) and fuses.

david

Paulr-- you just beat me -- must type faster !

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Yes, sounds like no EHU (240V mains). As well as hooking up to the mains, there maybe switches and/or circuit breakers to make the 240V live.

The sockets could be household mains and the front lights - often the two front lights in glass shades work off 240V and all other lights work off 12V battery supply.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

David just ;)

Mick, I'm assuming when you say all electrics work that's the water heater, heater fridge are okay on 230v electric Not 12v?

Hi Mick, sorry if this is obvious have you checked all the trips. If all the sockets are off, maybe worth doing a swop of the trips. Its possible to have a faulty one. Maybe add a pic of the distribution/trip unit.

Are the lights on the same trip as the sockets?

It maybe an easy fix -fingers crossed.

Hi, cheers for reply. I have had the caravan plugged into the mains in my drive and just on the caravan battery with no mains to no difference. The trips are fine, maybe. I will swop them.

Thanks

Hi,

You dont say if you had mains electric plugged into your van or not so how about trying that ? a number of vans in the past had the lamps wired into the mains not 12 volts ( battery ) If that does not cure your problem look at the mains fuse box ( in wardrobe/ under bed or a small hatch in a bed base ) and check the isolator switch ( s) and fuses.

david

Paulr-- you just beat me -- must type faster !

Hi, cheers for reply. I have had the caravan plugged into the house mains and just the caravan battery, but no difference. How do you swop between 12v and mains?

Thanks

Yes, sounds like no EHU (240V mains). As well as hooking up to the mains, there maybe switches and/or circuit breakers to make the 240V live.

The sockets could be household mains and the front lights - often the two front lights in glass shades work off 240V and all other lights work off 12V battery supply.

Hi, thanks for reply. Had it plugged into house mains and just caravan battery, no difference . How do you swop between 12v and mains?

Thanks

Hi, tried mains and 12v. How do you swop between 12v and mains please?

Cheers all

Best way to start is test the RCB if it's in the up position press the test button. If it does not trip its possible you have no electric entering the caravan. Maybe the mains lead (if not new) or not connected fully in the battery box.

Not plugged into mains - works just and only on 12V from battery.

Plugged into 240V - different vans are different. Some have a charger ON/OFF switch.

Some have a main ON/OFF switch instead. Then the contactors should be all ON.

Now 240V charges up the 12V battery AND provides 12V and 240V to all the various devices.

Obviously you can put a household table lamp for example, to check you have 240V to a socket.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi, when we got the caravan on Saturday the battery was flat. I plugged the mains lead in and charged the battery and now without the mains plugged in most lights work etc. so I am assuming the mains lead is ok? Battery holding charge ok. I will try the mains trip button anyhow in the light.

Thanks

Www. coachman. co. uk/uploads/files/2008_Owners_Handbook. pdf

Ok the lead & charger is good. Checking the handbook it does not have an isolator switch. Check the trips tomorrow. Don't know if you need a handbook but check out the link.

Does anybody know where the 12v -240v switch is on my coachman 580/4 2008. Really can't find it.

Thanks

There usually isn't a selector switch for 240/12v.

With mains to the caravan and the car not connected you should have a combination of both voltages.

The circuit breakers and RCD supply all your 240 volt appliances, while the battery and charger will supply all your 12 volt appliances.

Have you checked if the fridge & heater work on 240?

Also what are the two breakers labels as suppling? (I cannot read in the handbook)

It may help with diagnosing the problem.