Any 2014 Crusader Owners?

Muddywheels

I've just paid a deposit on a 2014 Crusader Storm (expected delivery May) so interested to hear from anyone with ANY 2014 Crusaders already B)

Any thoughts on the Combi Heating/Hot Water system compared to blown air and tank in particular?

After the issues with my 2010 Crusader Cyclone - I just want an easy life - here's hoping :blush:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my order in too. My friend has a van with the alde heating etc. it's good. Ours is due in May also 👍👍👍😬😬😬

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Just had quote for insurance and despite value being double my current van has come in cheaper - seems the tracker brings it down a lot - I was expecting premiums to jump :o

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Hopefully we will take delivery of our Storm later this month. Dealer has said it is due with them w/c 17 March. They then want 10 days to fit the mover, an external Whale shower point (for washing the dogs) and do the pdi.

Once we have the new van will give you an update and try to answer any questions.

Just trying to find out what bits it comes with has been a challenge. We were told by Elddis at the NEC that it comes with a Whale aquasource water connection to direct connect to taps if available. If it does it will be nice but somehow I doubt it (I think the person we spoke with may have got confused between what comes with a Crusader and what comes with a Buccaneer).

Hope your new vans arrive on time and we all have trouble free caravanning (!) enjoy.

Michael

Thanks for the responses - can't wait :)

Bit worried about warm up time for Alde compared to Fire/Blower and smaller hot water tank so user experience greatly appreciated.

Michael - my 2010 Cyclone came with Whale Aquasource kit and I bought an extension hose as it was never long enough so hoping the 2014 still fits as I would be sorry to lose it - just need to find more CL's with serviced pitches. Notice you have a BMW X3 Towcar - are you going to tow Storm with it? I was thinking of downsizing to a Freelander but ended up with another sport due size of van!

Ironically I am now looking at storing on a CL so may not be towing much - and it has IDC :rolleyes:

Yes will be towing with the X3. It is the mark 2 X3 (built 2012) with a 3L engine which with the BMW elec tow bar added has an unloaded weight of 1903kg and more than enough torque (car kerb weight is 1875kg plus 28kg for elec tow bar). I believe (but am sure many may now tell me I am wrong) that the MIRO of the Storm is taken with a full tank of water as it has an on-board water tank, so for starters you can drop 40kg from the published MIRO figure. Additionally we will be carrying the wheel locks and wheel jack in the car which are also in the published MIRO.

We are a bit*****and have weighed everything that is going in the caravan (and everything coming out - such as the carpets which we will not use due to two dogs who like going in mud and water, a working Lab and working Cocker Spanial).

It looks like our van when loaded, including a porch awning, but putting heavy food items in the car will be between 1760kg and 1800kg depending how much of the clothing we chuck in the car and how much stays in the van. The loaded weight of the car with some extra for me (I weigh more than the 75kg included in the kerbweight number) the wife, two dogs and stuff mentioned above will be near 2250kg. So real towing ratio will be between 78% and 80%, but would look like 94. 5% if you just calculated it using max caravan weight and unloaded car (which I still think is OK). The auto 3L X3 tow limit is 2400kg and max car loading is 2390kg, so all well in.

From memory I think the Freelander was a bit lighter than the 3L X3. As mentioned above should be able to tell you how this works later this month.

We will be using the shower in the van so will give you an update after our first outing.

Michael

Hi MW

Sorry to jump in this thread as I don't have the 2014 but my Crusader is the 2013 SoLiD variant so there are some similarities.

Don't worry about the Alde heating, yes warm up time is a little bit longer than blown air heating but it is more than worth the wait, I would never consider a van without Alde in future.

Also the 2013 vans did not come with the Whale Aquasource as standard, and I would be surprised if they do now as I purchased a direct mains feed and it doesn't work as well as the conventional pump and Aquaroll set up, when I spoke to Whale they said it wasn't possible to calibrate the IC Controller with a direct feed set up.

If I can help please ask

Davros

X3 3. 0L sounds reasonable to me Michael - I only asked because I bought a 2010 Crusader Mistral (1352kg MIRO-1590kg MTPLM) and tried to pull it with OH's 2007 2. 0Td4 Freelander 1 (1640kg unladen/2505 MGVW/2000 kg towing capacity) and on paper it was all Hunky Dory but turned out I could not use 5th gear on the flat and nearly burnt the clutch out doing a hill start after stalling 3 times :o

I had just got rid of my Freelander 2 but ended up buying a Sport to pull the Mistral then SWMBO decided she wanted the cyclone which we had discounted earlier as thought it was too heavy for the FL1 - very expensive summer that year :rolleyes:

Davros - no need to apologise. Your comments are greatly received and very relevant. Reading CT posts regarding leaks and direct tap connection I have been thinking aquaroll mains adapter kit might be a safer option so all is not lost B)

Edited by Muddywheels

Hi all took delivery of our crusader storm on 6 February and had 3 nights in it before going home. So far so good, but suggest you have mover fitted if you want to fit the diamond wheel locks as precision is a must for fitting. Hot water is good, plenty for 2 good showers. Having had a Valencia before am used to the wet heating system. In my opinion as a heating engineer I think Elddis have gone over the top with ventilation which has meant the van took a while to get warm but works very well once up to temperature. The van towed very smoothly, l tow with a Lexus Rx 450 and wouldn't expect anything else. Lookig forward to getting out again next weekend, hopefully problem free.

That's good to hear harleydave :)

Reading comments on diamond locks I am expecting it will be necessary to use jack then turn wheels to fit them?

I have a gold standard hitch lock from current van and hope this will do for lunch/toilet stops. Also have a gold standard wheel lock that is easy to fit and may see if I can carry on using that if diamond locks are too much of a pain. I would still use diamond when stored though.

Edited by Muddywheels

Hi all we took delivery of our new 2014 crusader tempest EB yesterday very exciting but nerve racking first brand new caravan. We have had a sleepless night as we were unable at the late hour we got the caravan back to storage last night to fit the diamond wheel locks. We simply couldn't get the bolt thing to lock in we are going back first thing today and are hoping it's just an alignment issue feeling very nervous about this as it seems a real faff at the moment any feedback tips help greatly appreciated.

We were advised by our dealer that the heating would be slow to warm up initially due to the size of the van but that the wait would be more than worth it his advise was if winter caravanning take a blow heater !!!! Whilst waiting but once warm it will be brilliant.

One question does anyone know if with the 2014 model, should there be 'up lighting' above the lockers at the front of the caravan still as with the middle lockers or has this been removed on this model due to the new LED lighting around the plastic trim surrounding the panoramic roof light ? I thought there ŵas and if so ours isn't working but want to be sure before I contact elddis / dealer . ..

Jacjas - I believe the diamond locks are difficult to fit and according to the post below I read you need to jack up van :o

We have a Crusader Tempest, as Kate says they come standard with the SAS BPW diamond wheel lock, ours came with 2, fitting one is easy, but on a twin axle van like ours you have to jack the van and spin the wheel to locate the second one. .............. quite a faff. But it is an excellent product.

Because our twin axle van is classed as more likely to be stolen, the insurers wouldn't cover it unless the wheel locks are fitted!

I haven't got mine yet but looking at virtual tour on elddis website I think front led are in the skylight surround?

Fan heater sounds logical for quick heat up :)

To everyone who is concerned about warm up time with Alde heating system. ....Worry not We HAD (documented eleswhere) a Bailey Retreat Willow and after being closed up for over seven days in December 2013 with the heating off the temp inside was 6c and after just over an hour it was a steady 23. 5c. The Willow is approx 25% larger than the average twin axle. In decades of caravanning a blown warm air system even with an upgraded thermostat was ok ish !!! But in the depths of winter useless there were plenty of cold spots and not many hot ones. . Once you have had ALDE in our opinion anything else doesn't come close.

Hi jacjas we had problems when first trying to fit the diamond wheellocks. I actually thought that the receiver shaft on the chassis was not fitted properly but now know that absolute precision is a must. I have also found that if we release the motor movers and the hand brake allows a little bit of movement they are then almost imposible to remove unless we put the mover on again and make a slight move of the wheels. I think that it is just going to take practice.

Having had the Alko locks in the past they were a dodle to fit.

Hope you enjoy the van, have just spent the whole weekend polishing ours with a good coat of autoglym and removing lots of excess silicone. Roll on next weekend and fingers crossed for a repeat of this weekends weather.

The BPW Diamond locks are an absolute pain, precision is a must and I have taken to jacking up the van to fit and remove both. I only fit one when on site (unless I am leaving the van for any extended period of time) and have found that if you get the receiver somewhere near and before putting the steadies down, leave the handbrake off and you can manipulate the wheel to get the lock into position.

My insurer insists on both locks being fitted so when in storage I always fit both which means jacking the van up. On my first trip out I couldn't get one of the locks off and was convinced it was seized on and faulty, after an hour of vigorous tugging I called BPW who said to jack up the van, the lock came straight off!

Davros

I would totally agree that the BPW Diamond locks are a pain to fit and in my case (only required to use one) the wheel needs indexing literally to within a couple of millimetres before the key will freely turn.

Moving 2 tonnes such small increments necessitates use of the mover, in my case.

Once fitted, I engage the handbrake then disengage the mover and if the van moves just a small amount before the handbrake bites, the wheel jams onto the Diamond and I have to reposition the the wheel with the mover when I want to remove it.

I have tried chocking the wheel as well and this seems to help alleviate the situation.

Pity those having to use two.

I also found AlKo locks to be far more user friendly and forgiving.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

The thought of jacking up the caravan every time to fit diamond locks (especially when it's raining cats and dogs) sounds a nightmare and then how do you use levelling ramps or do you leave jack under?

I will try to get insurance with just my current stronghold wheel clamp and hitch lock - I can then use the diamond locks when I store it even if not required just for extra peace of mind!

Hi guys

Many thanks for all your responses.

After two stress ful days we have this sussed now . .. we think

The locks do require absolute precision and without a motor mover i think would be almost impossible without the air turning blue anyway :( i had the same problem i using the motor mover got one lock on and locked but after dis-engaging the motor mover couldnt get the lock off . ..we tried re-applying the motor mover but to no avail and even nudging the van had no joy . .. in the end we had to jack the van to remove the lock and this although sounding an arduous task wasnt too difficult, but like said earlier the thought of doing this in bad weather isnt so appealing.

Theres one thing for sure its no wonder they are reviewed as "excellent locks" hard pressed to get them off with the key :D

We are grateful for the hints and tips and will take these with us on our first outing this weekend, feeling nervous about it and worried wont be able to get the heating on or water etc but hey ho practice makes perfect

jacjas let us know how you get on, can't wait to pick up ours :)

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

We've got our Storm on order too! Delivery in May. ..can't wait!

Not sure we're looking forward to the diamond wheel locks though, they sound a nightmare!

Muddywheels, have a look at the Milenco Aluminium Levellers for a levelling option. We use them and they're brilliant for a twin axle.

Happy caravanning everyone

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Thanks - I will look at the milenco levellers - have been using ramps but looks like the diamond locks will scupper them :rolleyes:

Now have a new dilemma - me and OH been hoping to see Paulo Nutini in concert and just found out he will be performing 30 minutes from our home when we expect to be picking up the new caravan and away - I want to pick up caravan and OH wants to stay at home so we can go to concert - I feel a row brewing and may be on my first solo outing :lol:

Muddy any news on a firm delivery date yet?

Try one of these for fitting your locks http://delter-culson. co. uk/new-gallery-1/ a lot lighter then 2 Milenco levellers and can be used on soft ground as well as hard standings unlike the Milenco's.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

Muddy any news on a firm delivery date yet?

Nope - gone quiet since paid deposit but early days I guess :(

Steve - the lock and level looks a good idea. Plan to see how jack works and ramps before I decide to spend more money.

Also tempted to get air awning due to posts on poles marking sides.

Edited by Muddywheels

Hi MW

I think it's a good idea to go with the jack and ramps, fitting the locks could (and for the price should) be easier but after a few times it is relatively quick, from pulling up and levelling I can have the caravan jacked up, locks fitted and back on its wheels within 3 minutes. I would suggest carrying a piece of rubber backed carpet to lay on while you place the jack.

As for the awning, in April last year, a couple of days after putting up my brand new Dorema awning I lost it over the roof in the wind, according to a neighbour who saw it happen the awning had been battered virtually all night by strong wind pushing the awning against the side of the van and there was no sign of any damage other than a chip in the graphic where a pole had struck it.

The point of telling you this is that I wouldn't worry too much about the strength of the side and its ability to take an awning. I have read the thread relatng to this on the Buccaneer and I cannot understand how Elddis could disregard a claim for the damage as the owner would have had to be Superman to over-tighten the poles to such an extreme as to dent the van.

Hope this helps

Davros