Fiamma Caravanstore Zip

Daftpooly

Has anybody out there got one fitted to their 'van? If so, would you recommend and why?

I've just upgraded to a Bailey Pageant Burgundy from an Avondale Perle Ulysses, which had a full Bradcot awning that I hated erecting with a passion. The proceeds from the sale of the old van are going towards the awning for the new van and I'm really taken by the Fiamma caravanstore zip having seen a few in use over the past couple of years. I think the wife will kill me if I buy another traditional awning!!!!

Go for it they are ideal, we have tried all sorts of awnings in the past, more than happy with our caravanstore that fits and stays in the awning rail, we do have the zip in sides but don't use them a lot, so much quicker and easier than conventional awnings, suits us fine, less arguing too !!

If you spot us reversing onto the pitch next to you don't worry we are very friendly !!

the dogs are well behaved, they wont disturb you !!

Please say hello we like talking to other caravaners with similar interests

We love ours too. Stays on when we dont need the full awning. If you use it in this way though you must put it away if strong winds or you will have a problem!

Apples and oranges I'm afraid. We used one for 3 years and they are great for short stops but not recommended in strong winds. Most will also recommend lowering one leg when it rains. Great for a warm summer and light winds/rain but its not that great in the wind and most people take them down if the wind gets up to 20mph.

I would also add that to put up canopy and all sides with pegging and guy ropes is no quicker than a full awning.

If your just using canopy in summer, it's great

Regards

Simon

Edited by simontodd

Simon & Michelle + Logan the spaniel, 2016 Sterling Elite 480, 2015 Volvo V70 D4 SE Lux auto, Devon

Used one for years without a problem, yes strong winds roll up and sleep sound after all only takes 5 minutes. Never had any damage. But I now use a isabella shadow lighter and just as quick but no sides, but can have a front, check out the video on YouTube

Ps I'm not allowed to buy another awning had em all full, porch part.

I'm probably banging on about these too much, but the Quest Rollaway has 7 fixing points and comes with 7 storm tie downs which may be more secure than the Fiamma

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I'm probably banging on about these too much, but the Quest Rollaway has 7 fixing points and comes with 7 storm tie downs which may be more secure than the Fiamma

sounds like it's ALOT better than the Fiamma, i have one and although it's good, you can't sleep in it, there is no option for inner tents and to be honest i probably wouldn't want to.

However, seeing the Rollaway, IF it is breathable like a full awning this would give us the best of both worlds, and i could get rid of the 'FULL' awning and just have one that does everything. Might see me popping into the local stockists for a little look!

Getting a look at one might prove difficult, as I don't know of any dealers who have one installed.

The roof isn't breathable, but the sides and front certainly are.

I am now getting rid of both porch and full awnings.

Which reminds me, I need to stick an advert out for my porch awning.

Regards,

Stephen

We fitted storm straps to our Caravanstore and it stood up to gales in the Alps last year, no problem.

Sure it can sound unnerving but it stayed put.

If it concerns you, as has been mentioned, only takes a few minutes to roll up. ...and you can do it wet!

I have used the caravanstore zip on the side of out Bailey Senator Wyoming for over 4 years without any problems. When we bought this caravan we upgraded to the zip version from the canopy we had on out previous caravan. It is so much easier than an awning. We have the 4. 4 and I can put it up on my own (with all sides) in around 20 mins. As it is plastic, no concern about putting it away wet. Yes they are quite heavy but with practice you can roll it up by yourself. I have changed change to a Fiamma F45 zip for our new caravan. This is even quicker to erect.

I've never seen the point of adding sides to a canopy. You might as well take a porch or full awning.

We prefer the canopy as it doesn't mean car or caravan are cluttered with an awning while travellling. ....and its all we need 95% of the time.

Taking supplementary poles and walls to add to the roof, thats in the bag, seems to defeat the object.

OP refers to caravanstore ZIP this is the model with the with the sides and front attachment, so no issues with wind, there's plenty of anchoring. In my experience these are very good in wind unless with no sides or front attached, then of course it becomes a kite like any other canopy. There is no comparison with the Quest Rolli (now rollaway, it seems), I've had them both and the Quest looked great but disn't deliver, it broke a pole so I had to reinforce the alu' poles with wooden broom handles inside, whereas the Fiamma Zip has proved to be much stronger. I would recommend the Fiamma Zip without hesitation: flexible configuration, quick to put up and robust in bad weather. The only downsides vs 'traditional' awning (eg my Isabela Magnum) is that it does not look as elegant (IMO) and it sweats up in morning dew. That said, although I have both, the Fiamma does get the most use vs the Magnum, great as the Magnum is, it's just so convenient.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hope you folks don't mind, I've checked on the other threads concerning the Quest Rollaway, is the general consensus the same then that indeed they are a good purchase.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. B)

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend.

OP refers to caravanstore ZIP this is the model with the with the sides and front attachment, so no issues with wind, there's plenty of anchoring. In my experience these are very good in wind unless with no sides or front attached, then of course it becomes a kite like any other canopy. There is no comparison with the Quest Rolli (now rollaway, it seems), I've had them both and the Quest looked great but disn't deliver, it broke a pole so I had to reinforce the alu' poles with wooden broom handles inside, whereas the Fiamma Zip has proved to be much stronger. I would recommend the Fiamma Zip without hesitation: flexible configuration, quick to put up and robust in bad weather. The only downsides vs 'traditional' awning (eg my Isabela Magnum) is that it does not look as elegant (IMO) and it sweats up in morning dew. That said, although I have both, the Fiamma does get the most use vs the Magnum, great as the Magnum is, it's just so convenient.

Just one question to an experienced user :-

On our Magnum we frequently have the front or sides unzipped half way down. Bit like a stable door with the bottom half shut. Can you achieve this with a 'Zip' or is it a case of roll up from the bottom only/remove side front completely ?

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

On our Magnum we frequently have the front or sides unzipped half way down. Bit like a stable door with the bottom half shut. Can you achieve this with a 'Zip' or is it a case of roll up from the bottom only/remove side front completely ?

It is a case of roll up from the bottom only/remove side or front completely I'm afraid.

We had a 4. 1m Zip and finished up getting rid of it; seemed to get a lot of condensation inside and fitting the side panels required me (at 6'2") having to keep moving the steps to reach certain parts. .........much more hassle than a standard awning when being used as a full awning, but fine as just a sunshade.

It will depend which model you buy, the older version which can still be found on ebay the front has to be rolled up or removed whilst the sides have plastic windows over mesh, so when the window is rolled up you have similar to your present situation only with a mesh there.

The new version has these rollable windows on the front too.

I have owned three old versions and one new one. I prefer to be able to roll the whole front up rather than the window, but that is personal preference.

If you do go for the new type the pegging points are not so good, we are now on our third set of sides, the first was replaced with the same product, when they failed again they were replaced with specially strengthened points direct from Fiamma Italy.

I am yet to try these.

I know two other people who have had the same failure.

Oh, and I put the 4. 4 up and take it down alone, I am 5'9" and only use steps for rolling up! It is a case of technique.

Edited by rushallmanor

Hope you folks don't mind, I've checked on the other threads concerning the Quest Rollaway, is the general consensus the same then that indeed they are a good purchase.

My experience has been good so far.

Once on, and once understood how to put up they are easy to use.

Quality is good, and the availability of configuration is a real bonus for us.

Seem very secure with lots of tie downs.

Regards,

Stephen

Thanks for the replies. It would be WW3 if SWMBO could not sit in the awning with front rolled halfway down. Looks like the Magnum is here to stay. Will outlast me anyway.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)