Safefill V Calorgas

sampvt

With Calor gas propane prices going sadly astray, some people are moving towards safefill canisters as they cost a fraction of the price to fill. The problem I am hearing from friends with these £150 - £200 jobbies, is that some petrol stations are fitting nozzles that stop canisters being filled.

Admin Comment

Caravan Talk cannot permit the publication of advice regarding the unapproved methods of filling gas cylinders, the post has been edited to remove the reference.

Why doesn't someone step in and regulate this industry as its so far off the mark, it stinks.

In fact does anyone know a cheaper alternative to propane apart from spending hundreds to be turned away from LPG autogas stations.

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Hi the filler for the safefill is the same shape and size as a car, so I can't see how the pumps can be adapted to stop them being filled. I am lucky that my local lpg supplier is also on the safefill list of suppliers. Gas at 62p lt I won't be using calor again.

Terry

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

If you want to be even more annoyed remember that LPG that you buy at fuel station has some fuel duty and vat @20%. Bottled gas afaik has no duty and vat @ 5%

However the economics of a safefil cylinder depends on how much you use and and what you are comparing it to. If you are always on ehu and can get a season or more out of6kg calorlite does it mater in the great scheme of thing if you are paying £8, £22 or £30 for a refill? To be honest on a cost per night basis the difference is trivial, especially if you take into account the £150 a safefill cylinder costs.

On the other hand if you are like me and don't use ehu then I can go through 6 kg in 3 nights that's over £7 per night added onto my site fee. So in my case 6kg gas bought from a pump is £8 ish so around about £2. 50 per night so a safefil makes perfect sense.

However even then if you compare prices against 13kg calors which are about £27 the price for 13kg from a pump is about £17 so a smaller saving and by the time you get to 19kg bottles then the saving by having a refillable bottle is minimal. I choose not to use a 19 kg bottle because of the weight but many do. For me a safe fill bottle is great and saves me money. But it is not the answer for everyone.

Ive just read on another site that a conversion expert fits 32kg LPG tanks to all his converted vans. These can be filled from a pump at the petrol stations quite easily. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of installing one of these tanks in a caravan, maybe under the seats back towards the axle. Imagine pulling up with the van in tow and tanking the van up through a car type nozzle on the side of the van. No that would turn a few heads but apart from the weight issues, it could work, couldn't it ???????

Let me know where you are caravanning and I will stay well away. ....I lost my caravan due to gas leak so wouldn't want to sleep on a bomb!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi all I use gaslow on our van, I have two 11kg bottels in the locker and the same filler as used on cars. have had this for about 4 years have never had a problem when filling up in uk or in Europe. the biggest plus for me is that thy stay on the van and no need to move full from the van to car and back. the gas is a lot cheaper but you do need to use the van a lot for it to be worth while. also with stainless pipes we have had no problems with our regulator.

I had considered a Gaslow installation, but with the awkwardness of access to the pump on many stations (particularly the cheaper ones) . . have decided to go with safefill . . It will mean only carrying one bottle, saving on weight . . I have a very convenient fill source at 63p/litre . . no more taking out the bottle to check how much gas and putting it back . . and no more waiting till the bottle is empty before refilling . .

Yes, it's expensive on capital outlay, but I'm doing it for the convenience.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We have been using safefill and we have just refilled it for the 28th time and cannot fault it

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

I note that the Safefill requires re-certification after 10 years. I wonder how much that costs and what happens if it fails.

I guess when looking at the economics it is safer to assume that you write the cost off over ten years.

In my case I think that makes it uneconomic.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

The Safefill option looks like the way forward for me.

My current gas usage indicated payback in about 4/5 years, and since the Safefill cylinder can be moved if I change vans, it's a better option for me that the permanently fitted kits.

I've not got one yet, I'm waiting until I'm out of Calor, then I'll keep one Calor Lite as ann emergency backup, cash the other one in and get a Safefil

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I was making a hypothetical statement. Don't worry, I wont be parking next to you, lol

Ive just read on another site that a conversion expert fits 32kg LPG tanks to all his converted vans. These can be filled from a pump at the petrol stations quite easily. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of installing one of these tanks in a caravan, maybe under the seats back towards the axle. Imagine pulling up with the van in tow and tanking the van up through a car type nozzle on the side of the van. No that would turn a few heads but apart from the weight issues, it could work, couldn't it ???????

Some manufacturers have these as an option, and if not, that's exactly what a gaslow system is, fit a remote filler on the side of the van and you are done.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

We looked at the Safefill option but the nearest refill place is about 40 miles away and refill stations are scarce on the ground.

We looked at the Safefill option but the nearest refill place is about 40 miles away and refill stations are scarce on the ground.

I'm lucky have a place selling autogas very close to me. But I do worry that in the long term LPG will become the Betamax of automotive fuels.

I can assure you LPG wont go away. Its been around for years. I remember running my old tiller allegro on it back in the 80,s with the 100 litre tank slug underneath and it was easy then but the continent is light years in front of the uk in terms of places to buy it.