Round Milan In May

Trying to decide the best time to go round Milan.

Traditional wisdom says that there is less traffic around Milan motorway system during the weekday lunch hourS.

So it's a good time to tow

Then there is the weekend . ..without lorries.

But what about Thursday May 1st?

As I understand it, this is a widespread holiday in Europe. So . ..do lorries stop on public holidays like weekends? Or will normal traffic be exacerbated by holidaymakers making a tour round Milan like parking on the M25?

I've just asked a good friend who lives in Milan.

Though It may take a day or two to get an answer as she was in Houston earlier in the week!"

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Just got this reply

no trucks on the 1st of May and not much traffic either.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Out of interest, where are you heading?

There are some "pleasant avoiding" routes, although if it is a holiday, it should be quiet.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Out of interest, where are you heading?

There are some "pleasant avoiding" routes, although if it is a holiday, it should be quiet.

Russell

On that stage we are just dropping down to Florence. But we are then heading right down to the toe!

Just got this reply

Just got this reply

Thanks

In that case, between Milan and Florence on a holiday day, I don't think you will have any traffic bother.

I don't recommend the toll free route!!

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I agree. If you keep on the Western side the Milan Ring will be relatively quiet on weekends and holidays. No sense in not using the Autostada down tho Florence.

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

I agree. If you keep on the Western side the Milan Ring will be relatively quiet on weekends and holidays. No sense in not using the Autostada down tho Florence.

Thanks

Quick question given your location.

Are there any decent campsites near Zakopane? And good towing routes?

My wife is a sky jumping fanatic and we have visited all the jumps in the German/Austrian/Slovenian mountains. ..now looking to the Polish and Slovakian ones. ...before going into Scandanavia.

Thanks

Quick question given your location.

Are there any decent campsites near Zakopane? And good towing routes?

My wife is a sky jumping fanatic and we have visited all the jumps in the German/Austrian/Slovenian mountains. ..now looking to the Polish and Slovakian ones. ...before going into Scandanavia.

I have never personally stayed near Zakopane but from my knowledge there are only 2 campsites of any note in Zakopane:-

Campsite Ustup, Zakopane, Campsite Harenda Zakopane. As with most sites in Poland they tend to be fairly basic but I am sure that others on here have personal experience

Alternatively Campsite Polana Sosny, Niedzica, is a nice location near mountains but about 50 km from Zakopane.

Best site to stay at in Krakow is Korona which is on the south side of Krakow on the Zakopane road. Allow 2 or 3 hours from here to Zakopane - more on busy days.

Regards the routing - my favoured route is Dover - Dunkirk, Antwerp, Dortmund, Kassel, Leipzig, Dresden, Gorlitz (Border) then follow A4 to Krakow. Motorways in Poland are now good. There are two sections of tolls on this section of road in Poland but the charges are minimal. However please note that if your combined permissable weight is greater than 3. 5 tons you need to hire at the border a VIATOLL box which then charges per kilometer on the whole route through Poland.

Worth looking at www. viatoll. pl/en

as the police are very hot on this at the moment with heavy on the spot fines for non display (900 Euros)

In my opinion Zakopane and the Tatra mountains are well worth the effort of getting here and you will not be dissappointed

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495