Urgent Advice Required Please!

Cvan1

Hi im just about to take my b+e test tomorrow and was having a few hours instruction as a refresher. I have never towed (although towed a lot before) with my Ford galaxy 2. 0 tdci 140bhp 59plate before today and encountered a problem only when towing. The car feels like its hunting through quite a bit of the rev range and through most gears and it can jerk the car quite violently. Hoping I can manage through the rest of the refresher and test tomorrow but I would like to get it sorted so I can tow with the car with more confidence. Hope someone can help. ..

Edited by Cvan1

Abbey Aventura 318 (2006)

Vauxhall Vectra sri cdti 150 estate

Who wired up the tow electrics? If the car is ok when a caravan is not connected but suffers as you describe when hitched up it could be something to do with the cars ECU being affected? It should have been wired using the proper approved tow bar wiring kit for your car. If your car is automatic it could be the gears hunting? Only thoughts!

Thanks for the reply. The bar was wired by a trusted towbar chap who I trust although its not genuine ford harness. Its a manual and I have noticed the hunting slightly when not towing but just in third gear and sometimes forth about 2000revs.

My son has a 59 plate Mondeo with the same 2. 0 tdci 140bhp and he had a similar problem. It took some time but his Ford Dealer diagnosed a problem around the ECU. He managed to get Ford to contribute. It may be worth you having a diagnostic check.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Thanks for the reply. Im currently looking into the clutch/flywheel subject. Hoping its that simple.

Fuel filter?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If it's "hunting" whilst in gear (and worse when towing) I'd most certainly be looking at the clutch. What else but clutch slip could it be on a manual?

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

That's what im thinking. The car has just been serviced inc new fuel filter. I did get a price for the full clutch/flywheel and bearing replacement from my local ford dealer today £1573 fitted. Might look at other fitting options I can get all the bits good quality oem spec for 600inc just need to look into fitting options.

Where u at there's a top guy in doncaster his game is gear boxes & clutches and is far far cheaper than ford I have a 2008 mondeo titainium with 80k on clock and clutch still going strong and I tow often but I've not come across your problem hope u sort it soon and as cheap as possible.

Hi im just about to take my b+e test tomorrow and was having a few hours instruction as a refresher. I have never towed (although towed a lot before) with my Ford galaxy 2. 0 tdci 140bhp 59plate before today and encountered a problem only when towing. The car feels like its hunting through quite a bit of the rev range and through most gears and it can jerk the car quite violently. Hoping I can manage through the rest of the refresher and test tomorrow but I would like to get it sorted so I can tow with the car with more confidence. Hope someone can help. ..

Are you using your own set up for the test?

I have never had a clutch slipping that gives a jerking usually is a engine over revs and the OP says it does it while not towing as well.

I think I would get it checked over for any fault codes as it could just be a sensor before spending out hundreds of pounds.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I agree with CommanderDave re clutch slip. Have the ECU checked out. Did the car exhibit this problem before you had it serviced? If not take it back to your Service Garage.

It's perhaps the description given by the OP. Hunting to me suggests engine rev increase without anything else, but if it's "surging" and causing power to be applied, then I totally agree. I might need to change my specs!

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

What was the B+E test result?

Not good as I was concentrating on trying to make my car drive smoother and made a couple of silly mistakes. I have got a mate with a navara so I think ill get a number plate made up for that and use his car for the test. I got moaned at by the examiner for slow driving and not getting far enough up the box but I explained to him about the fault with the car but no sympathy was on offer. All the main stuff in the yard went without a hitch it was only when trying to get up some speed that I made the mistakes. Live and learn I suppose.

Im going to get the car booked in for a diagnostic next week and If all goes well a remap. Will hook a caravan up next week at some point and try and replicate the problem.

Did you use your own set up for the test or a driving school set up ?

My car and instructors trailer and load. I could have borrowd a box trailer but would still end up costing about £70 for aggregate bags.

My car and instructors trailer and load. I could have borrowd a box trailer but would still end up costing about £70 for aggregate bags.

I did wonder . .. did you have to fit extra mirrors to your vehicle?

Yeah for the examiner to use. The cars normal wing mirrors were plenty wide enough to see the back end of the trailer.