First Outing In 2014

ianto133

We plan to stay in the Lake District next week, we have always stayed at Meathop Fell ( CC site ) or Windermere near Staveley ( C & CC site ). The OH fancies trying somewhere else and we came across a site near Ambleside called Skelwith Fold, if anyone has stayed there, any feedback would be appreciated.

On our return journey we will be leaving our caravan for the dreaded first service, after reading some of the past posts we cross all fingers that all be well especially that no major damp areas are found!

Ian

Hi there,

We stayed at Skeldwith FOld in about March last year. We were new to caravanning and eager to try a different site out most weekends. I think we were a little disappointed, but it was early season to be honest and the weather was really cold. we arrived late in the dark straight after work on a Friday, couldn't find a local pub to walk to so had to drive around in the dark looking for somewhere to eat. Shop on site closed about 6ish so no one around to ask. From what I remember the touring area was on a big area of gravel, not very attractively landscaped, but I suppose they get a ton of rain up there most years hence all the gravel. To be fair, we probably saw the park at the worst time, cold and bare (so cold our water froze) In spring when the trees are in leaf and the sun is shining its probably much prettier.

As for your first service don't worry too much, we have a bailey unicorn valencia and she had her first service a couple of weeks ago and passed with flying colours, no trace of any damp, no problems at all. Only repair needed is where hubby pranged corner of van when reversing - but that's another story!

We stopped at the Croft Caravan Site Hawkshead last October and are heading back there again this May. Nice clean campsite with spotless facilities just across the road from the beautiful village (which boasts 4 pubs. ...result).

As for the caravan service. I have just got back from picking ours up from the storage yard as she is having a full service tomorrow :o

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)

Park coppice is open, nice walk into Coniston down by the lake (about a mile) nice pub's etc. ,

Try and avoid pitching under a tree, must be said can be a little dank in wet weather.

Thank you all for your responses. With the predicted weather forecast for this coming week, I looked at the sites which appear to be filling up pretty quickly, so have booked our usual site at Staveley. We go to the Lakes several times a year and hope to try Croft caravan site, Hawkshead one day.

Ian