Raising Your Rear End

donny1972

Does anyone know the best way to raise your car up a couple of inches at the back. Towcar is an Insignia sports tourer. Iam sure i heard someone talking about rubber spacers for inbetween the springs but cant remeber where. Can anyone help me?

I fitted these on a Volvo 740 I had many years ago, but I don't know if you can still buy them. They stiffened up the rear end of the Volvo but I don't think they made much difference to the ride height though.

The Insignia Sports Tourer gets good reports as a towcar - are you sure the towbar is correctly fitted?

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Rubber donuts but check with your car insurance as it can be modification to the vehicle .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Yes highlandman its a bosal swan neck bar and was fitted by a towbar company. Would be a bit happier if i could raise it a cpl of inches.

The towball should be at the right height then. Could it be that you have too much weight in the back of the car and / or the caravan noseweight is too high?

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Friend had an Insignia Sport and found it a great car but soft at rear end when towing. .....

Grayson Absorbers I had on a series of Peugeot estates and they were excellent, sort of a spring that fitted over the rubber shock pad. ....my boss had Rubber Doughnuts on his Granada. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Perhaps you should drink all the beer thereby transferring some of the weight forward in the car.

Land Rover is now back towing.

The Insignia is a current model car, so not that old, ask Vauxhall for their opinion, if its a bit low and/or soft, they must have been asked before, my preference is for alternative springs as opposed to fiddling with the current ones, to make it a bit firmer at the rear but not affecting ride height or comfort.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

hi,

we needed to uprate our back end some years ago. Have in the past used"doughnuts"on two cars but did not think a lot of them. This car ,- I decided to fit M. A. D. springs- these go inside the cars normal springs and you remove the bump rubbers to fit them.

You will need some spanners, axle stands ( no hydrolic jacks while you are under the car---please !) and most important -- spring compressors ( tool hire shop ? ) i fitted ours and on completion rang my insurer to inform them(Esure) it was a Saturday- informed the young lady what i had done - her response?-- that will be another pounds65 please! i pointed out that the spring assistors were needed to allow me to tow the caravan in a safe manner. She would not have it-- told me i was jacking up the back end for street posing! explained that i was 70 plus still would not have it - said that 70 year olds go street posing/ racing!

I left it and rang back on the monday morning, spoke to a lad- explained about the back end sinking when loaded/ caravan on back and i had fitted the spring assistors to mentain the road worthyness of the car. He contacted the underwriters-- they were in another Dpt, and they came back -- yes we are happy with this -- no charge! So i would sugest when contacting insurers to "labour " the point that you are doing it to keep the car in a safe, roadworthy condition. THe springs ? well they have been on the car for Oh, 5 years now and i find them a lot better than the doughnuts.

david

p. s. forgot to mention -- got ours online - put in M. A. D on Google, ours cost at the time just over pounds113.

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

I've used doenuts on four cars, they don't raise the rear end, what they do is limit rear end sag.

The only downside is the spring is effectively prevented from being fully used, so I would only fit them on a car with good springs to start with.

I left mine on permanently for around 4 years for each car.

Yes highlandman its a bosal swan neck bar and was fitted by a towbar company. Would be a bit happier if i could raise it a cpl of inches.

The towbar company has by regulations make a towbar 350 - 420 mm when the car is fully loaded from ground to ball centre . So a towball can not be under 350 mm or something is wrong somewhere .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I press the raise the suspension button 😎😎😎

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Donny1972,

I have recently fitted some MAD spring assisters to the back of my Mitsubishi Grandis as this too, is a little "soft" and dropped quite a bit when hitched. They cost me £135 and are separate springs that fit inside the standard springs. They were easy to fit, no need for spring compressors on my car anyway - just put in axle stands, unbolt the anti roll bar and brake pipe brackets - the rear suspension drops down and the standard spring drops out - put the new spring inside the old one and put it all back together. Took me about 20 mins per side - only because there is a pipe bracket that is hard to get at to undo!.

Results are great. Because it is a progressive spring - it does do much until it is compressed a far bit - there is no difference to solo driving - but towing it is much better - stops a lot of the pitching. The rear of the car is slightly higher but when hitched it is nice and level. I must adjust the headlight beams as they do point down slightly now.

I would thoroughly recommend them. I did tell my insurance company and they wanted an extra £24 until renewal - £15 of which was an admin charge !! I said that I was not happy with this and threatened to move both my policy and my wifes and they managed to "lose" the charge - I will wait to see what the renewal premium is like in July !