Selling Via A Dealer's Forecourt - Potential Snags?

White rose

Could anyone tell me potential flaws in a dealership selling our caravan for us (other than we would be without the caravan for as long as it took to sell). The price would be guaranteed . ....

Thank you for any input!

As a dealer we don't offer this service, and you'll find that many don't. Its a bit of a minefield really, moreso for the dealer than you.

There aren't that many flaws if you've agreed a certain price regardless of any rectification work that may be needed. I assume said dealer will have been over your caravan closely, and agreed a price with you that will take into account any rectification work that may be needed? Obviously they want to make a profit out of it, so will be less keen to negotiate with a potential buyer and eat in to what slim margin they'll have

FSBO (For sale by owner) stock generally hangs around for the above reason, and on the occasions that my previous employer offered the service, we did end up with about 30% of the vans going back to the owner after close to 6 months, as we were unable to agree on figures with buyers and still make any money.

So be prepared for it to potentially be a slow process. But I wish you good luck with the process :)

Reading Caravans - Main dealers for Bailey, Swift Group and Lunar

Servicing, warranty and repair work available.

We also offer motor Movers, Covers, Awnings and more from our on-site shop

Contact me on 01189 888111 or ed. ewer@readingcaravans. com

Albeit some six years ago, that was how I sold my van.

Because of its age the dealer would take it as a trade in but offered to put it in his forecourt at a fixed price.

Someone looked at it whilst I was going over the new van and bought it a few days later. Had the cheque within a week.

So it worked for me.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I also believe that if the dealer goes `pop`!, you could have a struggle getting your van back when you want it.

There have been instances where vans have been taken in PX, only for the dealer to go bust before the new van has been collected. The stock is then impounded and it has taken time proving ownership of the original van to the receivers, so people have been stuck without either van until it has been resolved.

Thank you all. Poolebob - my fingers are now crossed that we can replicate that if we do go ahead.

Angus, that's a very good point, I guess it would be a good idea to get a very clear letter from the dealer stating that we still retained ownership.

OxfordCaravans - that made interesting reading, Nope, the dealer has not yet seen our van so discussions are still at a very early stage, it's a popular layout so I would hope it's not too slow to sell but I'm not sure their margin is particularly big. They have just sold a similar van which they had advertised on their website at £1300 more than they are offering me for mine.

By the way should have said, Dealer gave me the full amount and took no commission.

Reason he wouldn't pex was age of van. It was 13 years old and old worth just under £3000. It was in good condition That might be why it sold quickly.

poolebob

My brother tried it with a motorcycle - it got stolen and no one would take any responsibility for it.

He even had a hell of a job with the insurance company as it was not being stored/parked at it's nominated location (I think they refused to pay up) - so make sure you notify the insurance company that it's not at it's normal storage location.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

May be not much help for you, but we bought that way. It was a private sale through a dealer. From a purchaser's perspective it went perfectly, and the dealer was just as helpful before and after the sale as he would have been had it been his own stock. However I cannot say how the vendor felt!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Thank you all again for your input, esp about notifying the insurance company - I guess I also need to find out what they would say. I can't decide what to do . .. I don't want hordes of people tramping through it and potentially breaking things for it not to sell, nor do we want to be without a caravan more than a couple of months, but there's not enough life-space at the minute to sell it privately. Ach, maybe we should just live with a layout we dislike for another year and try to sell it next year instead. I guess that way the layouts we do like would then be more affordable!

Thank you all again for your input, esp about notifying the insurance company - I guess I also need to find out what they would say. I can't decide what to do . .. I don't want hordes of people tramping through it and potentially breaking things for it not to sell, nor do we want to be without a caravan more than a couple of months, but there's not enough life-space at the minute to sell it privately. Ach, maybe we should just live with a layout we dislike for another year and try to sell it next year instead. I guess that way the layouts we do like would then be more affordable!

We sold out last caravan via British Car Auctions at Measham north of Birmingham. Took it in one week and it sold the next for the price we wanted. It has the advantage that you don't have to include Battery, gas cylinders, step etc. All can be used in the next van.

Alan

These are my thoughts.

1) What happens if the van is stolen from their premises - your insurance or theirs?

2) A fire at the premises destroys your caravan?

3) Dealership goes bust? (I think you prove title to the goods etc, as customers who had vans in for a service/storage at Discover)

4) How will the pay you? (I would not want a cheque, but a bank transfer)

5) Any damage - if 50 people tramp through it, someone could scratch/dent or even nick something!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Also, if selling "private" through a dealer (brokerage), does the buyer get any warranty (dealer sale) or nothing (private sale)?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Bad idea on both side, they sell the van and go pop whilst having your money in the bank, well you accepted their credit so stand in a long line and wait for a few pence. They take on sale or return, smacks to me of a company that cannot afford stock.

Thank you all - yes, it made me wonder if they could have cash flow issues, but it was presented to me as a way of getting £1000 more for my caravan than they could otherwise give me. It feels as though the negatives might outweigh that very large positive though . ..

Thank you all - yes, it made me wonder if they could have cash flow issues, but it was presented to me as a way of getting £1000 more for my caravan than they could otherwise give me. It feels as though the negatives might outweigh that very large positive though . ..

That would worry me a lot.

Also, if selling "private" through a dealer (brokerage), does the buyer get any warranty (dealer sale) or nothing (private sale)?

Good question as surely the Sale of Goods Act would be involved as buying from a dealer's premises. The issue of them going bust while on their forecourt is worth a serious consideration.

Pebble - yes, the buyer would get a warranty from the dealer, as I understand it.

It is more likely that the buyer would have to purchase a warranty or more correctly warranty insurance from the dealer, as buyers often do when buying pre-owned caravans from dealers.

I cannot see how a dealer, acting as an agent for the seller, can give a warranty. In practice it would mean that if 50% damp and rotting woodwork was discovered within say six months of purchase the dealer could be liable for many thousands of pounds worth of remedial work. As the dealer is not and never has been the owner of the caravan it is very unlikely that he could get insurance cover to mitigate his losses in carrying out repairs.

Edited by DeeTee

I come back to my own experience. In my case the dealer didn't want the van because of it's age. (13 years)

At that age you wouldn't get a warranty anyway even from a dealer.

A lot depends upon the age of the van being sold.

poolebob