Has My Shower Leaked?

Alcan Male

Just done 2 nights in our new U2 Vigo, so decided to finally take the plastic covering off the vinyl floor, in the bathroom there was moisture trapped between the plastic sheet and the floor, this was also the case on the bedroom side of the bathroom and there was even some moisture under part of the fixed bed. So is this just condensation because we perhaps should have removed the plastic before using the van, or has the shower leaked?

As we only picked up the van 2 weeks ago, I presume the shower cubicle 'issues' would have been automatically sorted? Taking the van out again on Saturday so will use the shower and see if it is the culprit. Will report back with my findings after the weekend. Just to add I didn't have to mop up the moisture it evaporated after 15 minutes or so.

if it has leaked it will have leaked from the centre where the grey central part of the shower meets the tray,check there to make sure the sealant is all the way along,it also leaks bottom corners where shower tray meets the wall,it runs out of the door channels,as they are open at the ends. if it is leaking,go round the back while shower is in use and the water will run underneath from rear of van. check bedroom wall side of shower where black tray is there is no water there either.

not to dishearten you. ......but i think you may have a leak?????

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

Thanks Klarky, I will go and have a look tomorrow, I'm fearing the worse too!! Got a gas leak in the gas locker, so it has to go back to the dealer but will use it this weekend and see if anything else develops!

I think it's probably just condensation - you would be surprised how much water you can get from this. If you say that it evaporated that quickly, that is the most likely cause. Make sure you take all of the plastic up - we looked at an 2008 Elddis Super Sirocco last year when looking for a new van. The previous owners had left the plastic on the floor under the fixed bed and the smell of damp under there was awful - the rest of the van was ok.

I recently got round to lifting the plastic on my year old Barcelona S2 as I tend to leave it down quite a while. No moisture what so ever under it. We use the shower only a couple of times since we had the van and I have checked for leaks each time.

So, sorry but I think you must have a shower leak.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Most important to test under the lino itself. Using either a probe meter that goes through it. Or a non invasive meter that measures the wood floor under it. We had extensive damp on in the floor between the lino and the floor. No evidence at all visible from above on the lino.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

The shower has only been used 3 times, so hoping that if we have a leak the water ingress shouldn't be too bad, but as stated on other threads its going back to the dealers to sort however bad the damage may or may not turn out to be.

Just as an aside, I got a new Ford Kuga in December, not one niggle whatsoever, I know Ford produce on a huge scale, but is there any excuse for poor quality control.

In my time working for a manufacturer of Scientific Equipment, if a consistent problem arose in the field on a number of instruments, then a change would be made in production to remedy the problem and stop expensive engineer visits. This does not seem to be the way Bailey have operated on 'showergate'!

I recently got round to lifting the plastic on my year old Barcelona S2 as I tend to leave it down quite a while. No moisture what so ever under it. We use the shower only a couple of times since we had the van and I have checked for leaks each time.

So, sorry but I think you must have a shower leak.

Dave

agree,there must be moisture inbetween the plastic and FLOOR to cause this,especially when other side of shower/bedroom wall,underbed is damp????

! Got a gas leak in the gas locker, so it has to go back to the dealer but will use it this weekend and see if anything else develops!

Hope you wont be using any gas

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Yes, that is how I spotted our leak. It's a known issue, the shower tray has to be sealed against the wall. Early U2's had no sealant at all here. The dealer will know exactly where to seal, but on some models like our Barcelona it is very difficult to get to. Look where the shower tray meets the wall outside of the cubicle there should be sealant. Ours has been solved but it is an untidy job, good job it is not easily seen.

As it was a known issue I would have expected the dealer to have verified there was no sealant and rectified accordingly, but I'm not apportioning any blame until I take a look tomorrow or I could be eating my words.

Just to put readers minds at rest, will only be utilising electricity this weekend. .. unless I get the BBQ out!!

As it was a known issue I would have expected the dealer to have verified there was no sealant and rectified accordingly, but I'm not apportioning any blame until I take a look tomorrow or I could be eating my words.

Just to put readers minds at rest, will only be utilising electricity this weekend. .. unless I get the BBQ out!!

Yes me too but the shower in my U2 Madrid leaked like a sieve. Picked it up 18 days ago. Has since been repaired (I hope!!) by the dealer.

Just done 2 nights in our new U2 Vigo, so decided to finally take the plastic covering off the vinyl floor, in the bathroom there was moisture trapped between the plastic sheet and the floor, this was also the case on the bedroom side of the bathroom and there was even some moisture under part of the fixed bed. So is this just condensation because we perhaps should have removed the plastic before using the van, or has the shower leaked?

As we only picked up the van 2 weeks ago, I presume the shower cubicle 'issues' would have been automatically sorted? Taking the van out again on Saturday so will use the shower and see if it is the culprit. Will report back with my findings after the weekend. Just to add I didn't have to mop up the moisture it evaporated after 15 minutes or so.

Take a bottle of water and torch out to van - pour water from the bottle into the shower door track at the end and then shine torch down the outside of the cubicle and if it's leaking, you will see a slow trickle of water appearing on the floor next to cubicle. As said before, the door tracks are not sealed at either end of the cubicle where the meet the walls of the caravan, allowing water in the track to pour out. The fix is a plug of sealant at each end of the track.

Mine was leaking so have applied the sealant myself but it has caused a 30% damp reading noted on first service. This will be rechecked on next service and will hopefully have reduced. :unsure:

Bailey ought to be ashamed of themselves if they havn't now addressed the problem. They don't seem to give a stuff. I will seriously be looking at other manufacturers when I decide to change - mainly due to Baileys not care less attitude.

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia

Hi,

I took my van back to the dealer to have the shower resealed, on picking it back up I could not help but notice that they had not sealed the bottom of the grey panel. When I questioned the service manager about it he told me that this was deliberately left open just in case any of the fixtures at the back of the panel sprung a leak, then the water would find its way into the tray and not onto the floor!

Has anyone with a new Barcelona come across this scenario or heard of this explanation? It makes some kind of sense but I think it should still be sealed.

Hi,

I took my van back to the dealer to have the shower resealed, on picking it back up I could not help but notice that they had not sealed the bottom of the grey panel. When I questioned the service manager about it he told me that this was deliberately left open just in case any of the fixtures at the back of the panel sprung a leak, then the water would find its way into the tray and not onto the floor!

Has anyone with a new Barcelona come across this scenario or heard of this explanation? It makes some kind of sense but I think it should still be sealed.

I have a Madrid not a Barcelona but I had a look at the Barcelona a few days ago when I was at the dealer. The shower looks identicle to the one in my Madrid and my shower leaked like crazy from the bottom of the grey panel. There was sealant all the way accross the joing but it was a poor job and there was a hole about 2-3mm sqaure. That was enough to flood the washroom floor. I also had the slower leak from the ends of the shower door tracks.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake but I highly suspect that your dealer is talking a load of old tosh.

Edited by adamtoonarmy

Hi,

It should be. ..... Some dealer eh!!!!!!!

Hi,

The van is in for its remedial work today to repair and dry out after it's leaky shower issue, so I will be having words with the service manager.

Should be an interesting discussion considering the mood I'm in. !

Jeff.

It does make me sad reading these posts.

As for not sealing ion case something else leaks - well speechless

Hope you all get your new vans sorted and can enjoy them as you should be

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

The shower has only been used 3 times, so hoping that if we have a leak the water ingress shouldn't be too bad, but as stated on other threads its going back to the dealers to sort however bad the damage may or may not turn out to be.

Just as an aside, I got a new Ford Kuga in December, not one niggle whatsoever, I know Ford produce on a huge scale, but is there any excuse for poor quality control.

In my time working for a manufacturer of Scientific Equipment, if a consistent problem arose in the field on a number of instruments, then a change would be made in production to remedy the problem and stop expensive engineer visits. This does not seem to be the way Bailey have operated on 'showergate'!

Bailey live on a different planet to us motals, they appear to prefer repairing damp showers rather than sorting the problem at the factory?

Maybe the best solution is for owners with this shower problem to stop using the shower, at least until a definite solution is found by the manufacturer through the dealers and if you cant use the shower perhaps the caravan is then not fit for purpose "simples" :(

Just make sure to take plenty of deodorant on your caravanning trips :blush:

Seriously though, all of this is a very sad situation. .....If someone is not finding leaks from the outside in . ..... someone is finding them from the inside out. :blink:

I seriously think its time for somebody or some people to start getting their act together, or they will all end up looking like this :blush:. ........for a very long time.

Edited by Gaz40

Update. ..

Checked the shower yesterday, it does appear that there is sealant at the bottom of the grey unit and it also appears that there is a blob of sealant at each end of the sliding doors channel. I added extra silicon to these two points as well, as an extra precaution.

After explaining to SWMBO about the thread I started, she then told me that the shower head was pointing outwards instead of downwards when she started the shower the other morning and some water went on the floor outside the cubicle!! (this was pre removal of plastic sheet)

We were going to take the van away on Saturday and thus give it a proper test however our new to us Nissan X trail that we picked up yesterday afternoon started juddering at around 60MPH, so my first call at 9. 30 this morning is to the garage who sold it to us. (and we paid them to service it for us)

So until I can give the shower a proper test. .. watch this space.

• 2 weeks later...

Final update, after a couple of showers, including mine which went on so long it went cold! I can report that there is no leak from my shower, Hoorey!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Picked the van up today after it's three week drying out period. Quick inspection revealed that the Lino had been disturbed and cut in places to assist in drying, so no problem there. Side skirts and bumpers had been removed and all re- sealed, so no problem there.

However on inspection of the shower unit the problem that caused all the trouble in the first place, had still not been resolved. The grey centre panel was still not sealed at the base where it meets the tray! Needless to say I will be taking my business elsewhere in the future. We all know on the forum where the shower problems are, but apparently the dealers do not. Surely it's up to them to educate us about these problems not the other way around!

Anyway, fingers are still crossed, still love the caravan, miffed but still optimistic.

Jeff.