Unicorn Avtec Tv

adamtoonarmy

I got a very nice looking Avtec TV/DVD player with my new Unicorn Madrid which has turned out to be pretty useless. It works just fine but the build in stand angles the screen up towards the ceiling of the van and it is fixed, not adjustable. I stand the TV on top of the cupboard that stores the table for the lounge area, between the front lounge and side dinette. That is pretty high though and the angle of the screen when its on that shelf makes it impossible to watch unless you stand up. Its cleaerly designed to be used in the wide shelf at the front of the van, but I dont want it there.

Any body got any suggestions / solutions? I've tried looking for an alternative stand but cant find one.

Avtex TV's (and the like of) are well known for this viewing angle limitation.

It's a pity that caravan designers and 'kit specifiers' are not made to sit down and watch them.

We had an Avtex supplied with our current van and found that it produced only a quality view if we looked directly at it.

Even if you put it on your front self, unless you position the screen directly towards the viewer, and if you have more than one viewer there's the problem, the picture will always appear second best.

Didn't bother looking for a fix for ours, I went out and replaced it with a 'proper' TV and fortunately had a surface where it could ideally be placed.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Put it on the wall somewhere. Lot easier to handle. No problem with viewing our Avtex. Much better than an ordinary TV. Also it's a 16" which are not easy to get in normal tvs.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

We had an Avtex tv provided with our van if we used it in the front of the van on the cupboard next to the aerial socket it was dificult to veiw for both of us sat on the front seats due to the veiwing angle. In the bedroom fixed to the wall bracket we both had to snuggle up in the middle of the fixed bed to get a good veiw from it. Then the sound kept going on and off the same as when you get a pixilated picture wherever we used it including trying it in the house. We decided to pack it in its box and put it in its storage space in the loft and bought a Cello traveller whic has everthing we needed, dvd, freesat, usb, good sound and 12v best thing we did no more struggling to veiw the screen and a lot cheaper than avtex.

Store the Avtex away and look to buy an alternative television. I had the same viewing problem after buying a cheap television. It went. I was getting funny looks in John Lewis as I checked the viewing angle of all their televisions on display in the size I wanted. I think I covered all the possibilities in a caravan including the viewing distance. Finally settled on a Panasonic which has poor sound quality in the house, but in the confines of a caravan is actually quite good.

John.

We had an Avtex with our previous Bailey and liked it so much we kept it when we part-exed the van. We don't have any problems with the viewing angles and have used it in both front and side locations. It doesn't have a base stand, just an adjustable bracket on the back that you can move from almost vertical to tilted back.

The main reason we kept it though is that it's far superior to other "cheaper" supermarket TVs and will even pull in a digital signal at home, where other TVs have failed.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Our caravan came without the original fit TV. When I asked the dealer to replace it he refused. I asked him if the microwave or stereo was missing would he replace that. He said yes.

Presumably, those of you who do not supply an item of original fit to the next owner would be happy if you bought a secondhand car and the stereo and headrests had been retained by the first owner.

Freelander 2 chased by a 2011 Unicorn Valencia

I don't have a problem with keeping the TV - we left an optional set of chest drawers in our van so the next owner benefitted from these! The TVs are not fitted anywhere, unlike radios and microwaves and they don't last forever. They're gimmicks to try to sell vans.

:goodpost:

I don't have a problem with keeping the TV - we left an optional set of chest drawers in our van so the next owner benefitted from these! The TVs are not fitted anywhere, unlike radios and microwaves and they don't last forever. They're gimmicks to try to sell vans.

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

They're gimmicks to try to sell vans.

That's why they put Avtex in.

Our caravan came without the original fit TV. When I asked the dealer to replace it he refused. I asked him if the microwave or stereo was missing would he replace that. He said yes.

Presumably, those of you who do not supply an item of original fit to the next owner would be happy if you bought a secondhand car and the stereo and headrests had been retained by the first owner.

They are owned by the first Owner, if he/she does not include them in the part exchange then that is up to the dealer when the van is checked in. The next purchaser of the van has to sort out what comes with the van when he/she buys the van. If you want a TV ask before you buy otherwise don't buy till you are happy.

What is so good about Avtex that justifies their substantial differential in cost?

What is so good about Avtex that justifies their substantial differential in cost?

Mainly the picture quality, viewing angle and the fact they do a 16". Bought ours on eBay. Wouldn't pay the full price!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

We use an 18" Avtex with built in freesat ( the one supplied with the caravan sits permanently in our kitchen ). We have no problem with the viewing angles other than you do need to tilt the screen forward to it's maximum on the stand to eliminate the reflection from the front windows. The stands are very very stiff, but it is possible to do it.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

We've got our Avtex in the spare bedroom at home and use a 22" Curry's Logik full 1080HD/DVD in the van - cost us £120. Bigger screen, wider viewing angle, proper freeview menu & channel info and easier to tune in.

Only minor disadvantage is that it's only 240v but it works OK with our 150 watt Maplins inverter (£15 about 5 years ago)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Buy a Meos, best bit of kit I've used to watch TV in the van

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

The Avtex that came with our s2 Valencia had to be repaired after a month. I find the epg poor and the navigation of the menus poor. These TV's are greatly overpriced because they are marketed as caravan TV's. Anything sold as a caravan accessory is always overpriced whether it's a tap, a handle or a microwave. I never buy anything from a caravan shop if I can buy it from a hardware shop or B&Q. As for the TV we prefer our LG 20" combi. It has better picture quality, tunes in better and has a signal strength and quality display that is very useful for tuning in. I agree with previous posters regarding the secondhand van without the original TV. It's entirely up to the previous owner what they include when they part ex and it's up to the next buyer to negotiate a deal when buying. And to be honest, you aren't missing much by not getting the Avtex. Portable flat screen combi's are cheap to buy and most are better than the Avtex anyway, so not getting a mediocre second hand TV is the least of your concerns when buying a second hand van.

They are owned by the first Owner, if he/she does not include them in the part exchange then that is up to the dealer when the van is checked in. The next purchaser of the van has to sort out what comes with the van when he/she buys the van. If you want a TV ask before you buy otherwise don't buy till you are happy.

Well, that's interesting. Lesson learnt.

Next time I will check that the gas pigtail, purple cushions, water inlet pipe, steady winder, wheel lock, nose lock, blue water tank, spare wheel and carrier, alloy wheels, side lift jack, freezer insert, grill pan, microwave plate, carpets, and anything else removable are included in the price.

Pigtail and nose lock are not part of the original equipment, so you can keep those without any fear of being pursued!

Pigtail and nose lock are not part of the original equipment, so you can keep those without any fear of being pursued!

LOL,

Strange that though isn't it. If a new van comes without a gas pigtail, no mains lead no battery and no gas bottle is it fit for purpose?

Can it function as described in the brochures?

LOL,

Strange that though isn't it. If a new van comes without a gas pigtail, no mains lead no battery and no gas bottle is it fit for purpose?

Can it function as described in the brochures?

Big difference with new and second hand.

Anyway as said, Avtex TVs are are gimmick, almost a thank you for buying the van.

When I bought my car, I got a LR umbrella as a gimmick (which I have found more useful than the Avtex was) and when it's sold on doubt if someone will ask 'Where's the umbrella then'?

Someone quoted earlier that the viewing angle is one of the good things about Avtex?

We found just the opposite and was the very reason it went.

If someone wanted to by my present van I would gladly buy them the best Avtex TV going to get rid of it!

When I bought my car, I got a LR umbrella as a gimmick (which I have found more useful than the Avtex was) and when it's sold on doubt if someone will ask 'Where's the umbrella then'?

I did not with my Disco but my wife got a lovely bunch of flowers. I am sure there was no umbrella in the published LR build schedule.

However the flowers were not in the purchase specification of the Land Rover but the TV [not Avtex] was in the UK build specification of our Hymer caravan.

I think we are confusing a dealer "thank you", with a build feature.

The supplied TV went wrong six years on and we have replaced it recently with a very good performing Avtex 18", albeit at a silly cost however we need the convenience of a properly regulated, low consumption, 12 volt TV.

I have kept the brochure for our 2008 van and an Avtex TV is not specified anywhere with no reference to it in the van user manual.

The Sony CD/DVD player with remote control however is specified but no mention of a TV.

In my case, in 2008, the dealer did not provide the Avtex, I was given a voucher to apply for it but I can't remember whether it was from Explorer (then) or Avtex themselves but it was delivered by a courier to my home.

From memory, I seem to remember the dealer saying that with my model, as the TV was not fixed, it lessened the chance of a high value loose item going walkies.