Difference Between Wheel Clamp And Wheel Lock For Insurance Purposes?

CarlaB

Hello

Well, it's been a long day trying to sort out insurance following a rather spectacular hike in our insurance renewal (£300 last year, to over £1000 this year - and without any claims either!). Turns out our insurers now require a wheel lock as well as a hitchlock (and a tracker for caravans above a certain value, but we already have that).

The policy specifies the 'van must have a wheel lock when unattended and not hitched up to the vehicle, and a wheel clamp if left unattended when hitched up. But struggling to work out exactly what qualifies as a 'wheel lock', or what the difference is from a 'wheel clamp'.

The advice from people like CC and CC&C is somewhat unclear! CC seems to refer only to the Sold Secure Diamond Locks as 'Locks', and refers to the AL-KO and Winterhoff/BPW options, but doesn't mention clamps. ..CC&C says there are a number of types of 'wheel lock', in different shapes and sizes, and makes reference to the fact they differ from 'more traditional wheel clamps'. There's nothing saying we need a Diamond Standard Wheel lock. .....and I hope we don't as I can't see anywhere in the UK selling the Winterhoff/BPW version which we would need!

Is there an accepted norm for what constitutes a 'wheel lock' rather than a 'wheel clamp'???

Also, found myself drowning in the minefield of whether we were insured if we damaged the 'van whilst towing after Adrian Flux (we approached them for a comparative quote to our existing insurers) said we wouldn't be and it was normally covered by motor insurance. Cue hours of research, and I now know our car insurance covers damage to a third party (even if by the caravan), and their insurance would cover the 'van if a third party damaged that - but what about if we damage it? Our policy covers accidental damage, and there's no exclusion listed for damage we cause to it whilst we're towing. ......

I now have a very fried brain after all this, so any thoughts very welcome!!

Carla

. ...quite the 'first-time towing experience' last year: on my own, with a brand new - huge - 'van on its first trip with us - but I did it!

My interpretation of 'clamp' would be something that goes round the outside of the wheel, and 'lock' as something that goes through the wheel. Both should cover the wheel nuts so they can not be removed.

Damage to the caravan caused by you when towing it is most likely covered by your caravan insurance.

Has the revolution finally begun?

My insurance company (Towergate) defined wheel locks as "through the wheel devices that lock into a receiver behind the wheel" and list acceptable (to them) manufacturers.

We all immediately think of Alko/Winterhoff/BPW, but there are several other interesting manufacturers.

They defined wheel clamps as devices that clamped around the outside of wheels (and tires)

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

With that sort of increase in premiums I would be changing insurers. The CC require only one security device to be fitted and are a lot cheaper than your quotes.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

The wheel lock/clamp question has been correctly answered above so I will go to the insurance question.

I am just about to renew my caravan policy with Caravan Guard and this is what their policy booklet says:

What is covered.

We will pay for damage to your caravan and equipment and personal effects by any insured cause, occurring during the period of insurance. The caravan is covered while being towed behind any vehicle and while detached. The equipment and personal effects are covered while in or about the caravan or towing vehicle. The equipment is also covered whist being stored at your home.

It appears that, in my case, the caravan is covered when being towed but not the things I carry in it.

Insurance policies differ somewhat in what they cover though I would have thought that all caravan policies would at least give similar cover to the above.

However, I have found that when you ring any insurance company for whatever insurance you can, occasionally, end up speaking to someone who may not have much experience or only works from what they can see on a pc screen. If in doubt, put it in writing to the company. Also, before you settle on one company or another, you can ask them to send you a specimen policy so you can read through it.

The amount you are charged for caravan insurance depends on so many factors that it is difficult to compare what one person pays with what another pays. We have often checked CC's prices but never used them as we have always found a more favourable quote and have never had any problems on the very few occasions when we have had a claim.

I have a wheel clamp, but if I fitted an Alko and only an Alko wheel lock I would benefit for a 10% decrease,

I have a Hitch Lock, Safe & Secure rated one and get a 10% discount,but if this was an Alko one, which is no better, then a further 10% discount would apply. .........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

You don't name your insurers but I'd think there must be something wrong with their quotation if it has gone up from £300 to £1000.

I renewed my own caravan insurance with the Camping & Caravanning Club this month and the premium of £220 was exactly the same as last year. I also had a quote from the Caravan Club but their quotation had gone up from £250 last year to £310 this year. Both of these quotes were based on a value of £20K and "new for old" cover.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Thank you for all your responses - very helpful!

The insurers we had last year are Simple Caravan Insurance; they're the ones that quoted the renewal at £1000. I found out from calling that the hike was because they now require a wheel lock and a hitchlock - with both, the renewal was £360. I've spoken to them, armed with your responses, and you are right that they do require it to be a wheel lock as you define it - ie attaches to the axle or brakes. I've done quite a bit of research, but I couldn't find any besides the BPW, and it looked like that was going to be hard to source and get fitted. ..and then there's the cost!

We're CC members, but they can't insure LMC caravans. Haven't tried the CC&C as we're not members but I doubt they'd do it - lots won't touch German caravans (we were aware of this when we bought it a year ago - but it's single axle, and not Hobby, which is meant to be better!)

I've gone with Adrian Flux, but have checked the policy as three star advised. It does cover us for accidental damage similar to the policy wording quoted above - the guy I spoke to yesterday was clearly having a bad day, as he'd got quite a few of the details wrong. I suspect not that knowledgeable, either, as suggested! They're happy with the alarm/tracker (we have the Caravan Defender on it) and the sold secure hitchlock.

Just goes to show how careful you have to be with insurance! I wonder how many people, particularly newbies, think they're meeting insurance requirements for a wheel lock when all they have is a clamp?

Any tips, four star, on how to source wheel locks besides the BPW/Winterhoff one? I can't see anything on the Sold Secure site, and haven't found anything from searching! It wouldn't surprise me if I don't end up needing one in years to come. ...

Thanks again for all your help,

Carla

. ...quite the 'first-time towing experience' last year: on my own, with a brand new - huge - 'van on its first trip with us - but I did it!

CC insure my Hymer caravan with no question, the also insured my DeReu caravan when I had that. I know of people with LMC caravans also insured by CC, they are usually not at all fussy as long as the van is legal in the Uk to be towed by a car that has a plated max gross weight of 3500 kg or less.

Bill

Thank you for all your responses - very helpful!

The insurers we had last year are Simple Caravan Insurance; they're the ones that quoted the renewal at £1000. I found out from calling that the hike was because they now require a wheel lock and a hitchlock - with both, the renewal was £360. I've spoken to them, armed with your responses, and you are right that they do require it to be a wheel lock as you define it - ie attaches to the axle or brakes. I've done quite a bit of research, but I couldn't find any besides the BPW, and it looked like that was going to be hard to source and get fitted. ..and then there's the cost!

We're CC members, but they can't insure LMC caravans. Haven't tried the CC&C as we're not members but I doubt they'd do it - lots won't touch German caravans (we were aware of this when we bought it a year ago - but it's single axle, and not Hobby, which is meant to be better!)

I've gone with Adrian Flux, but have checked the policy as three star advised. It does cover us for accidental damage similar to the policy wording quoted above - the guy I spoke to yesterday was clearly having a bad day, as he'd got quite a few of the details wrong. I suspect not that knowledgeable, either, as suggested! They're happy with the alarm/tracker (we have the Caravan Defender on it) and the sold secure hitchlock.

Just goes to show how careful you have to be with insurance! I wonder how many people, particularly newbies, think they're meeting insurance requirements for a wheel lock when all they have is a clamp?

Any tips, four star, on how to source wheel locks besides the BPW/Winterhoff one? I can't see anything on the Sold Secure site, and haven't found anything from searching! It wouldn't surprise me if I don't end up needing one in years to come. ...

Thanks again for all your help,

Carla

Purpleline excalibur Fullstop reciever type wheel lock meets the requirements of most insurers and is widely available in various combination packages ranging from circa £60. 00 - just google excalibur fullstop wheel lock.

Pete

I did check with CC, and they said they don't insure LMC. Maybe they're honouring existing clients? Simple offered me a renewal, albeit exorbitant, even though they now decline insurance without wheel lock and hitchlock (well, for me they do!).

Thanks Pete, will check out the Purpleline wheel locks. ..may be worth getting anyway!

Edited by CarlaB

The Fullstop Excalibur could be an option, as long as there's a receiver fitted to the caravan. If not, looks like it's a pretty good option for a wheelclamp!

The Fullstop Excalibur could be an option, as long as there's a receiver fitted to the caravan. If not, looks like it's a pretty good option for a wheelclamp!

The reciever does not have to be fitted to the caravan chassis. Many earlier "expensive " caravans did not have such things, nor provision for such things and that is why the excalibur was developed in conjunction with the insurance services.

it enables the insurance companies to insist on a "reciever" type wheel lock without loosing the high end- high cost insurance customers.

Check with several insurance companies as to whether the excaliber is on their acceptance list of wheel locks.

I know it is with Towergate, for it was they who alerted me to it - and saved me a considerable discount on my premium(s).

Edited by Superpete

Pete

I did check with CC, and they said they don't insure LMC. Maybe they're honouring existing clients? Simple offered me a renewal, albeit exorbitant, even though they now decline insurance without wheel lock and hitchlock (well, for me they do!).

Thanks Pete, will check out the Purpleline wheel locks. ..may be worth getting anyway!

I would ask them again, with a body length of 639cm and width of 252cm it is road legal in the Uk and they say they will insure all uk legal caravans.

Bill

I would ask them again, with a body length of 639cm and width of 252cm it is road legal in the Uk and they say they will insure all uk legal caravans.

I was wondering if the Overall length has been given of 7. 7m as body length.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It's a minefield. I'm new to caravanning with the last year being my first year of caravanning. My insurers last year wouldn't cover me to put the caravan in open storage(with cameras etc) so I looked around for new insurance today. I finally went with the Caravan Club although they were more expensive feedback from some of my clients(I fix computers) swayed me to pay the extra. What surprised me, and it was mentioned earlier, was that they only cover specific wheel locks and my Milenco wasn't one of them :rolleyes: . So I didn't get the discount as I wasn't using their ones. I then said I won't bother with a wheel lock in that case and they said they will make a note that I'm using the Milenco. :unsure:

Incidentally it appears they will use the storage site I got declined for as it seems that you just have to be in one the UK