New To Caravanning And Sink Drains Very Slowly? Help

Msbishop

Hi everyone! We are now just over a week away from our first "test" outing! Van nearly ready! All niggles fixed, new curtains being made! And getting all the bits together ready for our adventures to start!

I purchased some 'puriclean' and filled all pipes etc as advised by instruction manual & side of pot guide lines. ...

When I was drawing up the water/puriclean from the aquaroll and running all taps and shower, I noticed that the kitchen sink wasn't draining very fast! Slower than a snails pace to be honest!

Has anyone got any ideas that can help out please. ... I have looked under gage van and can't see any potential problems at all, the van is set dead level on my drive, I was wondering if there was a one-way valve of the like that I have missed????

Thanks in advance peeps!

;-)

Mark

Make sure there are no kinks in the waste pipe under sink, flush through with boiling water first, then try a household drain unblocking solution, block the outlet of the drains to allow it to soak first then flush again with boiling water. As it is the kitchen sink is could of had greasy dishes and pots washed in there for years and this will build up in the corrugated pipe.

May be worth trying some soda crystals & hot water - bung up the outlet, put the crystals down the plughole, pour in hot water & leave to stand for a few minutes, then, standing well back, remove the bung from the drain hole - if there is a blockage, this should shift it!!

Best of luck x

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l

It is more than likely a blocked pipe as Brocher12 says use a good quality drain unblocker.

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

Thank you! I will give that a go tomorrow! It does make sense that it could be a fatty build up! Because we had to clean a lot of "fry-up" residue from the cupboard above the hob! So I can imagine the previous owners did enjoy the odd fry-up or two!

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow!

Thanks again

Mark

Don't use a plunger as it may well pop a joint on the waste in an awkward to reach area.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Also, check the length of run of the waste pipe, eg a van with a near side kitchen will have a long run of pipe to get to an offside or rear mounted outlets if there are 'dips' between fixing points they may clog up over time.

My theory is that the narrower waste pipe combined with the absence of an air inlet (such as the overflow hole on a domestic sink) tend to impede the flow. In the same way as you can lift water with a straw by covering one end, then the waste pipe is effectively blocked by the water trying to get out. In my van (which is only months old and I am confident the pipes are not blocked) water poured slowly down the waste runs freely but if poured more quickly into the sink then the flow slows as the waste hole is entirely covered by water. I had thought to test this by inserting a straw to allow air and water to flow from the sink but haven't had the opportunity

That said, I can't explain how on some vans the flow is satisfactory and on others not!

A kink under the sink or bunged up, try Fenwicks wastepipe & tank cleaner (fendox), it also cleans & deodorises worktops fridges etc

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

As others have said check for kinks in the pipe and clean out with drain cleaner. The corrugated drain pipes used in caravans do tend to trap fat and bits of food, which can soon lead to a blockage. When you have more time available I'd suggest replacing the drains with smooth bore plastic pipe, which will flow better and it will be less prone to blockage.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

It only takes a little back pressure to make the drains run slowly. On our caravan the drains can back up if the drain hose goes below the surface in the waste container. I imagine that this creates an air lock sufficient to affect its performance. Have you tried testing yours without a container to catch the waste?

Both the kitchen and washroom sinks in our 2009 Abbey empty quite slowly and I have checked for kinks/blockages and found nothing. The bath empties quite quickly and I think it may be because it has a domestic size plughole rather than the smaller 'van types. I agree with mw3230 - it's probably down to smaller bore pipes and airlocks.

Both the kitchen and washroom sinks in our 2009 Abbey empty quite slowly and I have checked for kinks/blockages and found nothing. The bath empties quite quickly and I think it may be because it has a domestic size plughole rather than the smaller 'van types. I agree with mw3230 - it's probably down to smaller bore pipes and airlocks.

Normally the shower unit has a separate discharge system from the sinks for obvious reasons. if it blocks at the outlet then the first thing to flood will be the shower tray.

Hi thanks for the advice people! DACS this was one of the first things I checked once the slow kitchen sink drain was spotted! And even with no receptical to collect the waste water, (just coming straight out of the outlets) still V. Slow. .. No noticeable change to drain-rate???

I didn't get chance to use a sink/pipe cleaner today as worked later than I was expecting too! Grrrr!

I want to do it in daylight hours so I can spot any blockage material that maybe dislodged. ..

Thanks again for the good suggestion from Highlandman the smooth bore pipe may be the most logical way to proceed. .. I am at a loss to why convelutted pipe is used in god first place? Seems abit strange to me, as it is surely a place for debris to get caught up in the first place????