Trip To Poland And Suggestions For Places To Visit Please

We leave on a trip to Poland in early April as we want to visit auschwitz and are looking for ideas along the way.

Has anybody else done a trip that takes in Germany and Poland?

Following Poland we will travel south through Czech Republic, and Austria, heading for Croatia as our furthest point before heading back home, for which we also have no hard and fast plans

We spent 6 months last year in Southern Europe just following our noses, and it worked well just having a general direction in mind and looking for sites in the ACSI book day by day!

Any assistance or comments would be welcome, even if you think we are mad!!

Is security a bigger issue for this trip??

I'm looking forward to some comments pls

Hi

We have been to Poland on three occasions over the past 5 years (latest was last year). Motorways are now excellent (but now have tolls but they are cheap!)

We like to go across on DFDS to Dunkirk and stay first night at Chateau Gand Spette (16 miles from port).

Then head down towards Mainz area and then head for Dresden and the Gorlitz crossing into Poland. On the way try to take in the Harz Mountains lovely towns of Stolberg, Wernigerode & Goslar to name the best ones in the area. Several Camping Cheque & ACSI sites around the Harz area.

Dresden well worth a visit and especially a place South of city call "Little Switzerland" amazing rock formations and old medieval ramparts. There is an exceptional site at Bautzen (halfway between Dresden & Gorlitz) takes ACSI and is 5*.

The motorway from Gorlitz via Katowice and on to Krakow is superb. Krakow old town and castle etc well worth a visit as is the Wielicka Salt Mine to the south of the city (the even have a cathedral made of salt 300 odd feet underground).

Several camp sites around the city, I have not stayed at them (we park the caravan in my wifes relatives garden!) but have heard good things about the one south of the city just off the motorway. Good to leave your car and catch the public transport which passes the gates of that site.

I have stayed several times at the campsite in Bielsko Biala (Camping Pod Debowcem No 99) in ACSI book. Nice area near the chair lift up into the mountains and probably the best one for visiting concentration camps (if you want to).

From Bielsko it is a good road out straight across the Czech Border towards Bruno. The road is ok most of the way until you get to within 20 miles of Bruno and you drive along the "tramlines" left by the very heavy lorries that use that route.

We tend to get a motorway tolls pass (1 day straight thru) at the petrol station on the Polish side of border. You can also get a 7 day one but there is just nothing of interest unless you go to the capital).

Then it is into Austria and onward south. ..

Security in Poland is not a problem at all. I was worried the first time but they are very honest and very welcoming people. You of course need to take care in the big cities and crowded places as you have to in any big city these days anywhere in the World.

Go for it and ENJOY

Regards

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Totally agree Krakow salt mine is fantastic. Krakow main square is lovely to sit out in and also the amber market is great too. Wavel castle and Cathedral are lovely too. Zywiec near Bielsko is very pretty and makes good beer!

Try 'Old Krupnik' - lovely alcoholic beverage!

Have a great time

Vicky

post-38857-0-87830300-1351008423_thumb.jpg
www.leisureworldgroup.com
post-38857-0-37340800-1349458087_thumb.jpg

"A Family Firm with Family Values"

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Talk Best Dealer Award

Regional and Overall Winner of the Practical Caravan Dealer of the Year 2011

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Times Reader Award for the Most Popular Caravan Dealership

Wow Alan J, that is almost exactly what we did in 2012! Harz, Dresden, Krakow, and I would second your opinions on all three, especially Dresden and 'Little Switzerland' (Bastei). The Krakow site is Corona, an excellent recommendation from Snooks.

Polish main roads were fine, but some of the minor roads a bit rough in places. We buckled a caravan wheel, which I only spotted when we stopped at a site. Wheel off, down to the tyre shop, tyre inspected and found ok, buckle hammered out, tyre back on, €5. As for security generally, never felt safer.

Thosmas, our route was similar to your proposals, heading for Croatia. Our stop-offs were

Black Horse Farm, Folkestone then early morning tunnel (Tesco vouchers)

Boscamping, just east of Eindhoven 199 miles

Prahljust, Clausthall Zellerfeld, Harz Mountains, 265 miles (Camping cheques all year)

Luxe-Oase just east of Dresden 210 miles

Slonezcna Polana, Jelenia Gora, Poland, 100 miles

Korona, Krakow, 238 miles

Ustup, Zakopane, 56 miles, then over the Tatras to

Vila Betula, Liptovsky, Slovakia, another excellent Snooks recommendation, 69 Miles

Haller, Budapest, 159 miles (crowded and dirty when we were there)

Camping Slapic Karlovac, Croatia, a superb riverside site, great for relaxing, 257 miles.

We then wandered round Croatia, as far south as Dubrovnik.

You can read the full tale on our 'Adventure Before Dementia' blog, link below.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Yes Good place to visit have pictures of sites etc on my website as signature below Did the trip in 2008. as not so big john says Korona campsite at Krakov was good. Haller was OK when we went but it was earlier in the year than when not so big john went. It was so handy for transport into the city. The Slovakian site was good too. None of them ACSI but sites are as cheap or cheaper.

Hope you have a good time

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Hi

Have a look at Leger coach Holidays - either online or a paper brochure. They do some nice Eastern European tours and having worked in the coach industry, find that many of the tour highlights are what we all want to see.

Have a read of this link to their extended tours section.

We are hoping to do Hungary and Romania in September/October and will probably combine two of their itineraries to make our own motorhome version.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We do the route from Krakow to Croatia frequently. In my opinion routing through Brno (Czech), Vienna, Maribor (Slovenia) is the best. You need vignettes for Czech, Austria and Slovenia. Croatia is by payment at tool booths.

But beware that now in Poland if your max train weight is 3. 5 tons or more (car and trailer with a total combined maximum permissable weight of over 3. 5 tons) you need a Via Toll box preloaded with enough for your journey - www. viatoll. pl/en. Box can be rented close to the Polish border - After leaving Gorlitz border from Dresden there is a BP petrol station in about 15km which deals with them - I was there yesterday. I understand that you can hand in the box when you leave Poland and they will (should) refund any credit left in the box - but I have never done this as I generally stay in Poland.

Although I have never stayed, Korona site near Krakow has good reviews. I agree with not so big john that Camping Slapic Karlovac, Croatia is a very good site. We stayed there last year. And also further south - Campsite Plantaza at Starigrad (ACSI site) is also well worth a few days

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

We do the route from Krakow to Croatia frequently. In my opinion routing through Brno (Czech), Vienna, Maribor (Slovenia) is the best. You need vignettes for Czech, Austria and Slovenia. Croatia is by payment at tool booths.

But beware that now in Poland if your max train weight is 3. 5 tons or more (car and trailer with a total combined maximum permissable weight of over 3. 5 tons) you need a Via Toll box preloaded with enough for your journey - www. viatoll. pl/en. Box can be rented close to the Polish border - After leaving Gorlitz border from Dresden there is a BP petrol station in about 15km which deals with them - I was there yesterday. I understand that you can hand in the box when you leave Poland and they will (should) refund any credit left in the box - but I have never done this as I generally stay in Poland.

Although I have never stayed, Korona site near Krakow has good reviews. I agree with not so big john that Camping Slapic Karlovac, Croatia is a very good site. We stayed there last year. And also further south - Campsite Plantaza at Starigrad (ACSI site) is also well worth a few days

We hired a Via Toll box and paid a deposit for it on my UK debit card. When we left Poland we gave it back and the deposit was re-credited. Because of changes in exchange rates the credit was £1. 50 more than the debit, so we made a profit on the deal!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Sorry can't remember how to spell in Polish but here are some very useful phrases spelt phonetically!!!

Dien dobry - good day/hello

Dobry notz - good night

Herbarta zmlekum - tea with milk

Prosha - please

Djenkooya dobre - good thank you

Doz a ba chenya yutro - see you tomorrow

Yak sheay mash - how are you

Botelka vina carvonnay - bottle of red wine

Tak - yes

Nyey movia po polsku - I don't speak polish!

Hope they help!!!

Vicky

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Times Reader Award for the Most Popular Caravan Dealership

I only went for a weekend to Krakow but as said before the salt mines are fantastic. Also the main square is lively, live music when we were there.

Krakow is amazing and most of Schindler's List was filmed there. You can visit some of the filming locations.

From Czech Republic you could also venture into Hungary via Bratislava which isn;t too far from the Hungarian Border. visiting Gyor, Zalaegerszeg and Nagykanisza. Alternatively you could stay at Lake Balaton. From just outside Nagykanisza the motorway takes you either straight into Croatia or Slovenia.

Hungary isn't too expensive and a great place to add into the loop.

2013 Sprite Major 4FB Excellence (Dealer Special)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec

I only went for a weekend to Krakow but as said before the salt mines are fantastic. Also the main square is lively, live music when we were there.

Krakow main square is lovely. It was Palm Sunday when we were there are there were lots of stalls selling palms of all designs and sizes. Also there was traditional Easter service in the cathedral and folk music and dancing outside.

Vicky