Water Problem

fred

A friend of ours has a strange problem with his water. He has a vanmaster with with an alde hot water system. His problem is he can get hot water out of taps but no cold. I haven't a clue any ideas?

Got me stumped, unless previous owner has installed a valve downstream of the tee off to the hot water boiler.

Got me stumped, unless previous owner has installed a valve downstream of the tee off to the hot water boiler.

Actually he has had this van from new. And this problem has just occurred. Unless his system has two pumps one for the hot and one for the cold. I suppose it must be an airlock from the tank

There will be only one water source so only one pump. There could be a blockage or a big air lock, will have to trace all the pipes.

There will be only one water source so only one pump. There could be a blockage or a big air lock, will have to trace all the pipes.

That's what I assume you get hot water by cold water flowing into the tank and displacing the hot. Logically it must be an air lock unless there is an isolation tap on the cold supply from the tank.

Does the pump work when you select cold, does water level in tank go down. Make sure there are no pipes blown off and you are not filling the van with water. :o

Does the pump work when you select cold, does water level in tank go down. Make sure there are no pipes blown off and you are not filling the van with water. :o

Brocher12. Thank's for your input. It must seem that every time you make a suggestion I do nothing but shoot it down.

I don't think he has a pipe blown off or split because afaik the water level doesn't go down. Besides he will be sensitive to this. A couple of years ago when he was traveling with a full tank. One of the taps switched on. And emptied the tank on to his carpets. To make matters worse some of the cupboards were built on top of the carpets so he couldn't get them out and drying was a nightmare. The van is approx 4 years old but do wonder (not) why Vanmaster went bust.

Edited by fred

Need to look at all the simple things first as these are the ones that catch you out. I am presuming the pump runs when a cold tap is switched on. I may be shot down on this but if the water pipes are of the clear type, you could add say a red food dye to the tank and see how far it travels along the cold pipes then flush thoroughly once problem rectified.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the filter broke up and the carbon blocked the strainers on the taps. I need to confirm this when I speak to my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the filter broke up and the carbon blocked the strainers on the taps. I need to confirm this when I speak to my friend.

Saw him this weekend and he confirmed that the problem was caused by the filter bursting and the carbon blocking the strainers in the taps. Filter now removed and replaced with a piece of pipe

Taps cannot be blocked if you are getting hot water, have you checked with the food dye how far through the system the cold water is travelling?