Buying A New Unicirn Barcelona

Kiwi Graham

Hi,

I've introduced myself in the new member area and have popped in here for a few questions.

Things I'll be getting the dealer to double check include the sealing of the shower, front grab handles, lockers and front bumper.

I will also check that the main matteres is the later version.

Is there anything else I should be ensuring is 'as it should be' based on your experience.

Also I will be towing with a Range Rover Sport diesel using the 50mm hocky stick type detachable tow hitch, is this ok to use with the Alko stabaliser hitch on the van?

Cheers

Graham

Edited by Kiwi Graham

Check the awning rail is free of mastic: I thin the dealers are up to speed with this now but doesn't hurt to check.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

That'll be a nice outfit. .not jealous. .well maybe. .ok jealous

Also I will be towing with a Range Rover Sport diesel using the 50mm hocky stick type detachable tow hitch, is this ok to use with the Alko stabaliser hitch on the van?

YES - this is the type of tow ball you need. Its the old style bolt on tow balls that give the problem with the Al-ko hitch head.

Ensure the tow ball is completely free of grease, oils, paints and other contaminants.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

Tow-ball will be fine but please make sure you sand the ball back to bare metal and keep very clean to avoid contaminating the stabiliser pads in the hitch

Buccaneer Cruiser (June 2016) PowrTouch Evolution AWD Mover, Isabella Magnum Porch & 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Tow Car - 125Kg on the nose, towing at 72%

Hi,

I've introduced myself in the new member area and have popped in here for a few questions.

Things I'll be getting the dealer to double check include the sealing of the shower, front grab handles, lockers and front bumper.

I will also check that the main matteres is the later version.

Is there anything else I should be ensuring is 'as it should be' based on your experience.

Cheers

Graham

Dont just check the shower seal, spray water directly onto the seal at the bottom of the silver corner unit. When you have done that spray a load of water on the ends of the door runner tracks, these are the areas that leaked on my Madrid

Make sure your removable tow ball is free from any movement when fitted. There have been a lot of cases where they aren't right and a couple of issues of them detaching. I'd probably hook the breakaway around the recovery eye also and not the ball.

Depending on how often you will be towing will determine if you should have a fixed tow bar or not. Light occasional for the removable one. LR also only sell fixed tow bar with 13pin electric which suggests you shouldn't tow a caravan with a removable one.

I'm sure everything will be fine but visit to RRSport. co. uk or Disco3. co. uk will show you info on the tow ball issue.

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

You will be fine with the detachable tow ball, I have towed my senator series 6 twin axle and my current unicorn2 Barcelona twin axle with both my range rover sports, no problems at all, it's designed for towing up to 3500kg and up to 150kg nose weight.

Make sure your removable tow ball is free from any movement when fitted. There have been a lot of cases where they aren't right and a couple of issues of them detaching. I'd probably hook the breakaway around the recovery eye also and not the ball.

Depending on how often you will be towing will determine if you should have a fixed tow bar or not. Light occasional for the removable one. LR also only sell fixed tow bar with 13pin electric which suggests you shouldn't tow a caravan with a removable one.

I'm sure everything will be fine but visit to RRSport. co. uk or Disco3. co. uk will show you info on the tow ball issue.

My Land Rover (FL2) is fitted with LR detachable tow bar and LR 13 pin electrics by a LR dealer.

Why light occasional? As long as the tow bar rated weight is not exceeded then the towed weight will be perfectly ok as far as the tow bar is concerned.

Why shouldn't one tow a caravan with a detachable tow bar? How is towing a 1500 Kg MTPLM caravan any different to towing a 1500 Kg GW Ifor Williams?

My last three cars have had detachables for caravan towing. None had noisy fitments, unintended detachments nor even bruised shins whatsoever. None had any suggestion in their respective user manuals that caravans shouldn't be towed. ..

My Land Rover (FL2) is fitted with LR detachable tow bar and LR 13 pin electrics by a LR dealer.

Why light occasional? As long as the tow bar rated weight is not exceeded then the towed weight will be perfectly ok as far as the tow bar is concerned.

Why shouldn't one tow a caravan with a detachable tow bar? How is towing a 1500 Kg MTPLM caravan any different to towing a 1500 Kg GW Ifor Williams?

My last three cars have had detachables for caravan towing. None had noisy fitments, unintended detachments nor even bruised shins whatsoever. None had any suggestion in their respective user manuals that caravans shouldn't be towed. ..

Ok well a Freelander isn't a RRS so we aren't talking about the tow bar system on that car.

If you google or research the issue I mentioned it isn't common for these to detach completely however there have been cases on the RRS and Discovery where they have detached whilst locked and towing.

There is a known issue again on the RRS and Discovery of play with the tow ball within the socket housing.

Again as I was talking about the RRS you cannot have a 13pin on a removable from LR. If you try to build it it says you have to change to the fixed style.

Were your last 3 cars RRS or Discos? As that is the car in question.

I have only passed on information to the OP as they stated they were using the detachable tow ball. I have previously owned Discos with the ball they are talking about and am aware of its issues.

Like I said in my post there is plenty of info on this subject on the 2 forums where owners of those vehicles have had issues to the point where LR are also members on the forum trying to rectify the faults people are having.

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

Ok well a Freelander isn't a RRS so we aren't talking about the tow bar system on that car.

If you google or research the issue I mentioned it isn't common for these to detach completely however there have been cases on the RRS and Discovery where they have detached whilst locked and towing.

There is a known issue again on the RRS and Discovery of play with the tow ball within the socket housing.

Again as I was talking about the RRS you cannot have a 13pin on a removable from LR. If you try to build it it says you have to change to the fixed style.

Were your last 3 cars RRS or Discos? As that is the car in question.

I have only passed on information to the OP as they stated they were using the detachable tow ball. I have previously owned Discos with the ball they are talking about and am aware of its issues.

Like I said in my post there is plenty of info on this subject on the 2 forums where owners of those vehicles have had issues to the point where LR are also members on the forum trying to rectify the faults people are having.

In your original reply you asserted that LR also only sell fixed tow bar with 13pin electric. Up to this point no mention of a specific car but accepting that you was in fact referring to a specific car and being a curious type I went and built a top end Discovery and a RRS Autograph.

Interestingly, one can specify a detachable with twin electrics on the Discovery. That sort of shoots down your idea that detachables should not be uses to tow caravans.

On the RRS, only two bars are offered, an electrically deployable item and a variable height fixed. No detachable is offered for the current vehicle. Strangely, on this car, the 13 pin will only build with the adjustable height bar but no electrics are offered for the electric tow bar (already included perhaps - it is not very clear).

You implied that detachable tow bars should not really be used to tow caravans. Presumably you have some evidence to support that?

You didn't explain how (as far as tow bars are concerned) a 1500 Kg 'van is different to a 1500 Kg gross weight IW trailer - assume both laden to plated weights with the tow bar rated above that.

All of the tow bar manufacturers make detachables (including those made as OEM kit for Land Rover) and many many caravanners use them. Can they all be wrong?

You CAN purchase the detachable tow bar with 13 pin electronics directly from Land Rover for a RRS - I know because I have done it. .....3 times now on a 2005 model, a 2009 model and a 2013 model!!!

There is no reason stated either implicitly or explicitly by Land Rover why one cannot use the detachable tow bar for ALL towing duties - like everything else, one needs to follow the instructions

The latest model has either the electronically deployable model or a fixed towbar - both types are suitable for towing all models of caravan on sale currently in the UK (I'll stand corrected for anything on sale which is over 3500Kg)

Buccaneer Cruiser (June 2016) PowrTouch Evolution AWD Mover, Isabella Magnum Porch & 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Tow Car - 125Kg on the nose, towing at 72%