Hi From New Zealand

Hi everyone,

Graham from Auckland, New Zealand.

I am awaiting delivery of a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona II.

I have changed from a motorcaravan (Kea Endevour) realising some cash to extend our house and buy what we feel is a stunning caravan.

I used to own a caravan many years ago (20) a Swift 640 Conqueror when I lived in the UK so have some experience of this towing milarky.

I have a Range Rover Sport diesel to tow our new van with and hope we take delivery in time to get away for Easter.

The van has an Alko stabilty hitch and am I right in thinkling the detachable 50mm 'hocky stick' style hitch is suitable for this?

I have done some reading on the forum and have a list of questions for the dealer to address such as;

Checking the sealer caulking in and around the shower, front grab handles, lockers and front bumper also to check the mattress is the later version because of retaining damp as a result of the fire retardent coating on the earlier versions.

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

I shall continue reading through the forum and look forward to contributing if I can.

Cheers

Graham

Edited by Kiwi Graham

Hello Graham & welcome to the forum :)

If theres any questions please ask and someone should be able to help

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi,

Welcome to our happy ( second ! ) home ! Take it you will not be doing any rallies here------------- ! :D

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi graham, we took the same decision and have moved from motor homing to caravanning. Weve had a swan neck detachable tow bar fitted to our RR Evoke and it's a great piece of kit. We've not been out yet (!) only towed it back from the dealer, but like you, very few vans had that 'something' to convince us to change from a motorhome, until we saw the bailey, and we too just loved it immediately. very excited about our first outings, and getting to grips with how you actually work these things, but it's all a grand adventure. Welcome from me too Francesca

PS Meant to say, yes the detachable swan neck tow bar is absolutely fine with the ATC stability unit. And also, we're keeping an open mind re the mattresses. A/ were in the midst of the wettest winter we've had for something like 70 years and b/ I'm cautious about damp meters. I'm sure they're absolutely ideal for bodywork, but, living in an old Victorian cottage, we learnt early on the false readings salt levels give on damp meters, so we're only going to rely on the 'does it feel damp' test :) Will you have a damp problem in NZ???? Oh, one other thing, our leisure battery connection and the inline fuse, wasn't seated properly and for a while we thought we had a dead battery. The dealer did our walk through hooked up to mains, so it wasn't tested before we got home. Took a little bit of head scratching, new fully charged battery and all that, but we then just followed the leads from where the battery enters the van and found the connections and fuse loose. easy fix and saves a trip back to the dealer if you think the battery side of the van is dead. Not sure if it's a production thing, or it was just our van, but thought worth mentioning. Francesca

The van has an Alko stabilty hitch and am I right in thinkling the detachable 50mm 'hocky stick' style hitch is suitable for this?

Yep! The 'swan-neck' towball should be just fine for the stabilised hitch on your Bailey ;)

Good to have you aboard Graham. :welcome:

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi again everyone, thanks for the welcomes,

Your right David it is unlikly we will be rallying in the UK ;)

Yes Francesca we were impressed with the quality of the van in comparrison to others in the price range and the layout suited us the best. The final say of course was Kerry's (my wife) who spent the time testing all the cupboards and draw ergonomics :rolleyes:

I'm pleasd the 'swan neck' hitch will do the job and I'm told to make sure it is de-greased and free from paint for it to work properly.

Hi Graham Welcome to the forum

Looks a nice outfit enjoy yourself when you go touring

Yes definitely degreased graham, the Alko needs to grab it. On the 'snagging' list, we've taken the view that the reason we bought new was the comfort of the warranties. We're expecting some bits and pieces to fail, so are planning to test run it for say 2 or 3 months (unless there's clearly a major useability issue) then look at going back in to the dealer for any necessary tweeks/rectifications then.

So far on my list, the 12 volt socket in the lounge area is a tad loose, and theres a gap in the sealant on the rear bumper of the van. As the body is all one piece, and the bumpers are just stuck on, we're not getting excited about it at all, and it can be done on my 3 months snagging schedule. Apart from those two small niggles, everything else appears bob on so far. Haven't run any water through it yet, so that's our first adventure this weekend, but so far, we're very very pleased as it's in far better condition than the demo model we saw at last years motorshow and the general build and feel of it is fantastic.

We paid what we've paid, to have the comfort of the warranty (although I do appreciate the frustrations of returning vans to dealers) and to enable us to relax about potential issues. So, do enjoy this time, it's not everyday you take delivery of a brand spanking new mini home, and if your Mrs is anything like me, Ive just really enjoyed doing my new bedding shop. Enjoy! Francesca.

Hi again everyone, thanks for the welcomes,

Your right David it is unlikly we will be rallying in the UK ;)

Yes Francesca we were impressed with the quality of the van in comparrison to others in the price range and the layout suited us the best. The final say of course was Kerry's (my wife) who spent the time testing all the cupboards and draw ergonomics :rolleyes:

I'm pleasd the 'swan neck' hitch will do the job and I'm told to make sure it is de-greased and free from paint for it to work properly.

Also check the friction pads in thge coupling as someone in the past might not have had a clean towball and they could be contaminated-- waste of time cleaning your towball only to find the pads are contaminated !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!