Checking Torque Setting On Wheel Studs On Bailey Unicorn Seville

Glutenfree2008

Hello everyone, I'm new to caravanning and so apologies if this is a stupid question (I took receipt of a Bailey Unicorn S II in Dec 2013 and am eagerly awaiting my first outing in March). My question is: what size of drive on a torque wrench should I buy that would allow me to use the Bailey wheel stud adapter (1/4", 1/2", 3/8" or 1/2")? I could take the adaptor into a shop and try it but I can get better torque wrench deals online.

thanks for your time,

Glutenfree2008

:welcome: Maybe I have not understood. You have the Bailey adapter.

Why not measure the square on it. It is likely to be 3/8" or 1/2", but just measure it.

Or have I misunderstood?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

A 1/2" torque wrench, you will also need an extension (3" or 5" ) and a 19mm socket. Torque setting is 130nm.

Make sure any wrench has a calibration cert. Cheap wrenches not worth the trouble.

dougie

:welcome: Maybe I have not understood. You have the Bailey adapter.

Why not measure the square on it. It is likely to be 3/8" or 1/2", but just measure it.

Or have I misunderstood?

Bailey use a different bolt fitted with a collar and use an adapter similar to a splined locknut adapter. A 19mm socket fits on the hex

Edited by dougie

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Tks for the explanation Dougie.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

What is it about caravans that people suddenly find the need to get a torque wrench . . aren't car wheels equally likely to come adrift, but they have never been bothered about those?

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

What is it about caravans that people suddenly find the need to get a torque wrench . . aren't car wheels equally likely to come adrift, but they have never been bothered about those?

Both car wheels and caravan wheels can come loose but it is rare. There have been reports of caravan wheels coming loose of late so the more conciensious caravanner has started checking the torque just to be safe.

On a further note when checking the torque it is not required to slacken off the wheel nut as this would need checking again after 50 miles or so. After a short time the wheel nut contact surface gets 'stiction' and this normally prevents the nut from turning. Breaking this 'stiction' by releasing the nut is why rechecking is required after a further 50 miles. Just make sure the torque wrench clicks at the correct setting.

P. S I check the torque of the car wheels as well and they were incorrect after having new tyres fitted. Some were too low some were too high !!!!

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

That's a big help and reassuring. Thanks to all