365 Days (Unlimited) E U Insurance Cover- Fact Or Fiction?

Geemac

I always thought that 'unlimited' foreign travel meant 365 days a year. I need nothing like this but I have made enquiries with Saga for a relative who wants 9 or 10 months. He has a house abroad and spends most of his time there.

I was told that policies are only issued if you are resident in the UK for 6 months and 1 day each year, which means that 'unlimited' cover is for a maximum of 182 days. Seems reasonable to me but the word 'unlimited' seems to be dishonest and more of a sales pitch.

Have I understood this correctly? Anyone spending more than 6 months abroad?

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

depends on what you are Insuring, I would doubt that anyone would insure a house for 365 days a year with no one living in it, my Caravan and car however are insured for 365 days for use abroad, I am not away that long typically but have been for 10 months so without qualifying what is being insured I guess your question is unanswerable.

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

. .......... my Caravan and car however are insured for 365 days for use abroad, I am not away that long typically . ............

Peter,

Would you mind telling me who your insurance is with?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

We recently inherited a house that we didn't want and had to clear out prior to selling it.

There was, ofcourse, no one living in the house but it still had to be insured.

It cost far more to insure it than it would have been had someone been living there and it also had to be internally checked every 7 days.

Empty house insurance is a minefield.

depends on what you are Insuring, I would doubt that anyone would insure a house for 365 days a year with no one living in it, my Caravan and car however are insured for 365 days for use abroad, I am not away that long typically but have been for 10 months so without qualifying what is being insured I guess your question is unanswerable.

Sorry for the omission Peter, it was car insurance. Saga said they would not issue a policy unless you were in the UK more than 6 months of the year. That's why I am questioning this word 'unlimited'. As already requested, could you say who you are with.

Gordon

Under EU rules your car must be registered in the EU country where you reside. If you spend 6 months and 1 day in the UK then you reside there.

Your friend is not a UK resident if he spends 10 months a year at his house abroad, his car must be registered there and his driving licence renewed there to show that as his current address.

That is the law.

Has the revolution finally begun?

If you stay in Spain more than 182 days you are a resident and under their new tax laws you have to legally declare all your assets .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If you stay in Spain more than 182 days you are a resident and under their new tax laws you have to legally declare all your assets .

Dave

That is actually pan-European but so far only Spain seems to be interested, but I have heard from friends resident in France of enquiries being made. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

That is actually pan-European but so far only Spain seems to be interested, but I have heard from friends resident in France of enquiries being made. ...

geoff

I read this a new tax law and all assets would mean any property or savings in the UK .

http://www. thisismoney. co. uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2317127/Expats-head-home-Spain-forced-declare-overseas-assets. html

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I read this a new tax law and all assets would mean any property or savings in the UK .

http://www. thisismoney. co. uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2317127/Expats-head-home-Spain-forced-declare-overseas-assets. html

Dave

Indeed Dave. ..my friends have another house let in UK. ..

geoff

Peter,

Would you mind telling me who your insurance is with?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

I have pm,d you

Under EU rules your car must be registered in the EU country where you reside. If you spend 6 months and 1 day in the UK then you reside there.

Your friend is not a UK resident if he spends 10 months a year at his house abroad, his car must be registered there and his driving licence renewed there to show that as his current address.

That is the law.

That,s true when I lived in Spain I sat and brought myself up to date with the tax regulations, The residency situation is not an issue its fairly straightforward but the tax is a bit of a minefield, I moved back to the UK but as I still own my house in Spain I have to now pay non residence tax as a house owner, but its pretty cheap so no problem .

I found that its the difference in tax rules which complicate matters, if I worked in the UK for 90 days I was due to pay Uk tax and if I stayed in Spain for 6 months and a day i was due to pay Spanish tax, it took some sorting but I did eventually do it.

Indeed Dave. ..my friends have another house let in UK. ..

geoff

In the article I read it was actually aimed at holidaying in Spain which would include staying in a caravan .

If I find the Article I will post the link .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

In the article I read it was actually aimed at holidaying in Spain which would include staying in a caravan .

If I find the Article I will post the link .

Dave

Think we had the link on an earlier post. ...January perhaps, when someone queried the 182 day legislation.

geoff

Are these consecutive days, or cumulative days?

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Cumulative . !83 days in any one year.

Click link post 10

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

That is the law.

I accept that. But I bet there are people out there who think Saga's 'unlimited' EU travel promotion means 365 days a year if they so wish, when in fact, as far as I can see, it means 182 days.

Gordon

I accept that. But I bet there are people out there who think Saga's 'unlimited' EU travel promotion means 365 days a year if they so wish, when in fact, as far as I can see, it means 182 days.

Gordon

When this was posted last time I mentioned it to someone who was off to Italy for some months. ....If anything goes wrong I'll them I'd been home for a week meantime. ..............urghhhhhh

geoff

Gordon

For so,e reason I had car insurance in mind when I wrote that, I can now see that it was travel insurance that was being discussed!

I would bet that the reason is the same though, although the term 'unlimited' is not really recognised by the advertising watch-dog. Think of all the other 'unlimited' stuff that is actually limited. ....

Has the revolution finally begun?

When I lived (and worked) abroad for more than 30 years, my home (including house strucure and contents) was insured for 365 days a year with no one living in it.

There was no requirement to drain down and isolate any systems.- In fact it was a negotiated (and recorded) requirement that all services to the property must remain fully operational to ensure continued operation of the heating and security system(s) and to avoid deterioration of the fabric of the building and contents.

Edited by Superpete

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

When I lived (and worked) abroad for more than 30 years, my home (including house strucure and contents) was insured for 365 days a year with no one living in it.

There was no requirement to drain down and isolate any systems.- In fact it was a negotiated (and recorded) requirement that all services to the property must remain fully operational to ensure continued operation of the heating and security system(s) and to avoid deterioration of the fabric of the building and contents.

:welcome: Thanks for that it was very interesting

Most house and contents policies require that it must not be unoccupied for more than 30 days with a few extending to 60 days. Longer terms can be arranged with agreement that the property will be checked regularly.

It seems strange you would leave a house empty and unoccupied over a 30 year period and the insurers were happy with this arrangement so surely there is more to it?.

I always thought that 'unlimited' foreign travel meant 365 days a year. I need nothing like this but I have made enquiries with Saga for a relative who wants 9 or 10 months. He has a house abroad and spends most of his time there.

I was told that policies are only issued if you are resident in the UK for 6 months and 1 day each year, which means that 'unlimited' cover is for a maximum of 182 days. Seems reasonable to me but the word 'unlimited' seems to be dishonest and more of a sales pitch.

Have I understood this correctly? Anyone spending more than 6 months abroad?

Gordon

There are some car insurers who will cover foreign use for 365 day with trips not exceeding 180 or 183 days. NFU is one and SAGA also does (did?) so.

I worked in France for two seven month seasons but couldn't find any insurer who would cover more than 183 days in one period and proof may be required about the period outside the UK in the event of a claim.

The question of residency is fraught with problems regarding where a car should be registered if one lives abroad for long periods albeit in a second home.