A B I Marauder Renovation - Removing Bathroom Wall Panels?

Hi Everyone

I'm new on here so hopefully am posting in the right place!

Does anyone have any advice on removing internal walls in a caravan? I'm looking to get rid of the corner bathroom at the back of my ABI Marauder 400D which is currently acting as a glorified cupboard!

The internal wall panels look like they're held on with 'L' brackets, however I'm not sure how to remove these; they seem to be fastened with a crosshead screw on one side of the 'L' and a seemingly unremoveable hollow bolt/screw on the other. ..

Also - am I liable to damage the structure of the van by doing this??

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Is it a tourer or static?

Edit: Tis a tourer - apologies

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Floor to ceiling walls ARE usually part of the structure, and depending on the age, they may have been screwed from above before the roof sheet was fitted. So I would be very careful.

Thanks for your replies - as the bathroom is in the back corner I thought it might not be load bearing, but looks like I might have to have a rethink. Hmmm. ..any other thoughts?

Removing an internal wall could allow the side walls to sway from side to side during towing.

They act as a brace to keep the outer walls from moving.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Imagine the shell with no furniture at all, it would stress, bend and collapse when towing. The furniture adds rigidity, especially floor to ceiling furniture. Modern vans also get rigidity from interlocking furniture, making it even more difficult to remove or change.

the bolts with holes are blind spread rivets and if you try to drill them they will just spin (most do) I have just hoofed the inside of an ABI marauder to use as a store and a big hammer did just fine :D

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Cor blimey! Is it still stable after the hammer treatment?? :)

Probably not. But if Dougie is using it for storage (ie as a shed) then it probably ain't going anywhere.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Yup. aint going anywhere. Surprisingly it wasnt damp, just old so is still quite rigid if a little overloaded now :)

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

I renovated my current caravan last year. A 1974 caravan and trying to get the cupboards off was a nightmare. Had to try and saw them from behind, got the rotten wood out, rebuilt then replace. Never actually left any of the cupboards out. Our toilet is also a glorified cupboard too! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

Funny how these things always seem so simple until you start the work! I was actually wondering about replacing the loo by building box seats into the corner, and some cupboards overhead to stabilise things. .. After reading advice above i'm not sure i'd be confident enough though!

Saying all this though i've actually seen a few second hand / old caravans for sale with the toilet taken away and seating right along or in place of the toilet. Obviously not sure how the caravans held up if at all structurally. I'd only remove if you have to then replace again.

Compass Shadow 1988