Heki 2 Roof-Light Blinds

My van is fitted with a Heki 2 rooflight. http://www. leisurespares. co. uk/files/repair_heki_2. pdf

I have recently had cause to remove the spring-loaded blind and now need to re-fit it.

On page 7 of the PDF file (see above link) a formulae is given for calculating how many turns of the roller are necessary to correctly tension the spring.

Now I confess that I am not "the sharpest knife in the box" but this formulae is really testing my practical skills.

The instruction refers to the length of the "tube", do they mean the roller? and if so, what has that measurement got to do with the spring tension?

Surely, the length of travel of the blind dictates the required spring tension and consequently the number of turns necessary to tension the roller correctly!

Can anyone tell me exactly how many turns I need on the roller to correctly tension my Heki 2 Blind.

It would seem that the length of travel of the blind is approx. 850mm from one end to the other.

Using my own interpretation of the formulae I calculate that I will need to apply 11 turns to the roller.

Am I right or wrong?........... HELP!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

I would imagine that the length of the tube (roller) determines the length of the spring, and so would have an affect on the tension required. Therefore take the length of the tube (roller) in mm/100 and add 3 turns. ..(can't tell you how many turns that is as you do not give the length of the tube (roller)

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

You are totally correct, what an unnecessary formula!!

To me it reads, if the roller is 1000mm long then you would divide (/) this number by 100 and then add (+) 3 = 13

If it is 850mm long then 850 / 100 + 3 = 11. 5

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Thanks for your help everyone.

The actual length of the tube (roller) is 585 mm.

If I apply the formulae: 585 ÷ 100 = 5. 85 + 3 that makes it 8. 85 turns (or 9 to make it easy).

So is everyone agreed on 9 turns or could there be another interpretation?

What I fail to understand is, why couldn’t Dometic simply state that the roller needs no more than 9 turns of tension added before locking into place. – Simples! :D

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

I agree with your maths, the reason they cannot just state the number is because they make various lengths of blind and longer wones will require a few more turns to give the same tension.

Trevor.

Your maths are spot on. I also can't understand why they couldn't put down the different lengths with the amount of turns required to apply the right tension. :blink:

Thanks for your help everyone.

The actual length of the tube (roller) is 585 mm.

If I apply the formulae: 585 ÷ 100 = 5. 85 + 3 that makes it 8. 85 turns (or 9 to make it easy).

So is everyone agreed on 9 turns or could there be another interpretation?

What I fail to understand is, why couldn’t Dometic simply state that the roller needs no more than 9 turns of tension added before locking into place. – Simples! :D

Vin Blanc

Edited by doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4