Hello

Meeks10

Hi from deepest darkest fens!

We have been caravanning for 10 years or so, also have young children who love the van. Mainly do rallies and an active member of the Bailey Owners Caravan club.

Planning our first trip abroad this year with the van and getting excited!

Hi and :welcome:

Getting abroad will open up a whole new world, where are you off to?

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hello & welcome to the forum

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

:welcome: You will wonder why you haven't been abroad before, driving is so much easier. Enjoy :D

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Hi Meeks, I'm a newbie too so just wanted to say hi. Also, we've done years of travelling to France (previously MH, this year will be a first in a caravan) but just wanted to say. ...don't worry! Once you've done it the once, you'll love it! The roads are so much better, so much so that the only 2 dreaded parts of our journeys are, getting to and from Dover or the Chunnel! Compared to UK motorways, driving abroad is an absolute joy. Also, do keep an open mind about stopping at aires. Every trip we've done, we stop 2 or 3 nights in aires, both heading out and heading home. We now have a list of faves (indeed some aires are far nicer than some sites we've stayed on), but please don't be anxious about security or 'staying in a motorway car park'. We like to drive till we're tired, as we want to get to the sun a. s. a. p, so aires are a fabulous way to just stop when we feel like it. They're free, surprisingly quiet (in most cases) and there are so many tourers doing the same that by 10pm every night, you have an Indian encampment set up with fellow travellers, with a lovely whiff of cooking sausages. Also the gendarmes regularly drive through the aires 3 or 4 times a night to check we're all ok. My only caveat to this is, avoid staying on an aire near to Calais. We do ensure we have at least an hours drive time after the crossing, to get us away from the Calais catchment area, but honestly, once up country, the worlds your oyster . Enjoy and yes it is exciting ! :) Francesca

I must disagree with Francesca about staying offsite whilst travelling through France or Spain, the cost of staying on a proper site is very low and you are advised by the authorities to do this.

My family were gassed and robbed whilst staying overnight in a petrol station and to cut a long story short there are organised gangs doing this targeting holiday makers by their registration numbers.

The fact that police patrol these "aires" several times a night just goes to show the need to stay somewhere else that is safe.

It would probably never happen to you but why for the sake of a few euros risk it?

I must disagree with Francesca about staying offsite whilst travelling through France or Spain, the cost of staying on a proper site is very low and you are advised by the authorities to do this.

My family were gassed and robbed whilst staying overnight in a petrol station and to cut a long story short there are organised gangs doing this targeting holiday makers by their registration numbers.

The fact that police patrol these "aires" several times a night just goes to show the need to stay somewhere else that is safe.

It would probably never happen to you but why for the sake of a few euros risk it?

Totally agree, I did stop in an Aires once in France and could not sleep properly. Every noise you hear you think someone is trying to break in or do some thing to you car. If you want a good nights sleep pull into a camp site and enjoy the experience.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Do understand people's anxiety, hence my post in the first place, but what a dreadful thing to happen to you 3stars. Simply horrendous. interestingly, this was reported in this thread whilst these people were staying on a 4 star site.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/49236-robbed-in-france/

All I can say is from our experience, I agree with the 19 million tourers each year who safely enjoy un eventful touring holidays in Europe, but would again reiterate that the main routes around Calais / Dunkirk, for us, are the no go areas. (the same with many city sites too)

Be sensible, and be safe, and in public areas, day or night, do not leave windows or doors unlocked and avoid having those holiday beers en route. Francesca

Do understand people's anxiety, hence my post in the first place, but what a dreadful thing to happen to you 3 stars. ......

A little thing Francesca. Three stars above the avatar (or 5 stars or whatever) refer to how many posts have been made. Our screen names are in the blue bar above a posting. Hence I am Wispman!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

A little thing Francesca. Three stars above the avatar (or 5 stars or whatever) refer to how many posts have been made. Our screen names are in the blue bar above a posting. Hence I am Wispman!

LOL! I am a numpty, thank you wispman and apologies brilock. .... F. x

Hi, we have a stop over booked at. Lemans ( castell site) and then off to La Rochelle or thereabouts.

. I used to work for a french company and have done many work trips over to Paris. Also follow the motogp and have camped at the circuit de bugatti many times.

Its going to be nice to take the family over and introduce the children to a foreign country.

Interesting discussion on the stopovers though, thanks.