Fitting Towbar To Merc C220 Amg Sport Plus Estate?

Lewigie

Looking to pick up a Merc estate, probably in the AMG Sport Plus trim but I've just seen a couple of articles that suggest fitting towbars to the C-Class Estates with Sports trims, especially AMG is a No No.

Can anyone with one of these support/debunk this (or someone in the know @ Mercedes). No point me asking my dealer. ...he wants to sell me one!!! :D

Thanks

David.

Volkswagen Passat 2. 0TDi DSG Estate Mercedes C350 AMG Sport Edition 125, Swift Challenger 540, PowrTouch Evolution, Isabella Ambassador awning.

CB1300 when the sun shines or the fancy takes me.

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I have never been able to understand the logic (or indeed why) anyone would buy a high performance car and expect to tow a caravan with it.

I really would like to understand why.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Looking to pick up a Merc estate, probably in the AMG Sport Plus trim but I've just seen a couple of articles that suggest fitting towbars to the C-Class Estates with Sports trims, especially AMG is a No No.

Can anyone with one of these support/debunk this (or someone in the know @ Mercedes). No point me asking my dealer. ...he wants to sell me one!!! :D

Thanks

David.

David

Its the saloon which is the problem according to merc literature. Go to page 27 of the below link:

http://tools. mercedes-benz. co. uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/c-class-saloon-estate. pdf

Happy motoring from a fellow merc driver

Edited by milkymarsh

I have never been able to understand the logic (or indeed why) anyone would buy a high performance car and expect to tow a caravan with it.

Hardly high performance, it's just lowered with a nice body kit. He wants it because he doesn't have the van in all the time!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Hardly high performance, it's just lowered with a nice body kit. He wants it because he doesn't have the van in all the time!

Agree. Lots of bits of plastic and large wheels in essence!

Its a high performance trim rater than a greatly different car, MB seem to be using the AMG tag on many of their lines now where it used to be reserved for specific high performance versions

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Its a high performance trim rater than a greatly different car, MB seem to be using the AMG tag on many of their lines now where it used to be reserved for specific high performance versions

OK, thank you for that. Iit was my previous experience of having my earlier MB totally revamped by AMG that caused me to refer to the OP's car as high performance.

Pete

It could be it can't take a towbar due to skirt or exhaust . It could be the vehicle has not got type approval to tow. It could be engine or transmission . Many different reasons it could not be recommended or allowed.

I would phone MB technical department they might be able to help before you buy.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

David

Its the saloon which is the problem according to merc literature. Go to page 27 of the below link:

http://tools. mercedes-benz. co. uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/c-class-saloon-estate. pdf

Happy motoring from a fellow merc driver

Thanks Milkymarsh. I think this refers to the factory fit option that swings away up into the bumper. I'm thinking more of the after-market versions. But at least I can be assured it probably not impossible. ....just expensive!

:rolleyes:

Volkswagen Passat 2. 0TDi DSG Estate Mercedes C350 AMG Sport Edition 125, Swift Challenger 540, PowrTouch Evolution, Isabella Ambassador awning.

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

David

If they can have a factory fit version, they will be able to have an aftermarket one available.

In fact towsure have one on their website

http://www. towsure. com/category/Mercedes_C_Class_W204_Sport_Estate_2008_onwards

Looking at the pages 45 and 48 on the link Milkymarsh posted its only the C63 models that have no type approval.

We have a customer at work that had a towbar fitted to his E Class Brabus convertible (diesel) it too has an 1800kg towlimit.

Cannot imagine why they won't type approve the C63's. ..............;)

http://m. youtube. com/watch?v=kjJHWBCSIko

Edited by clairendave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I have had 3 of these c class estate sport 220 cdi with the Amg body kit and there is no problem with fitting a towbar. You do need to check on the Amg version as it may be lower but the sport is fine. I cant recommend these cars enough for towing the 7 speed auto is also very economic, not a twitch out of any one I have owned. On my last one 2011, I choose the 17" rims as I found the tyres and ride better but the 18" tows just as well.

A quick check is the VIN plate if it has no Maximum train weight it is not towing type approved.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I have had 3 of these c class estate sport 220 cdi with the Amg body kit and there is no problem with fitting a towbar. You do need to check on the Amg version as it may be lower but the sport is fine. I cant recommend these cars enough for towing the 7 speed auto is also very economic, not a twitch out of any one I have owned. On my last one 2011, I choose the 17" rims as I found the tyres and ride better but the 18" tows just as well.

I'd second the 7 speed auto. Really good and the tiptronic paddles work a treat. Acceleration from the e250 is savage when putting your boot down, so expect similar with the 220 in the c. Puts a smile on your face!!

As they often make very stable powerful, economical towcars. Stable cars with sports suspension make ideal tugs

As they often make very stable powerful, economical towcars. Stable cars with sports suspension make ideal tugs

But the engine is tuned for maximum power outpu at high revs with the torque band much higher up the rev band and with a relatively steep curve.

For towing (slogging if you like) the max power is needed low down with a virtually flat torque curve.

There is no merrit in having a vehicle with a peak power output of (say) 400bhp if you have to be exceeding 5,000rpm to get it

For towing peak power needs to be available (idealy) between 2,000 and 3,000rpm in order to overcome the inertial of the dead lump your trying to move.

This is especially important where the transmission is what we refer to a "manual" - less so with "automatic" transmission but will probably overcook the fluid flywheel unless an extra oil cooler is installed to cool the automatic transmission fluid.

Pete

I guess its fair to presume then that Lewigie is proposing to buy a petrol not diesel version ??

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I guess its fair to presume then that Lewigie is proposing to buy a petrol not diesel version ??

Well, yes since the terms "deisel engine" and "sports car" are mutually exclusive -that should do it! :P

Edited by Superpete

Pete

We have a customer at work that had a towbar fitted to his E Class " BRABUS " convertible (diesel) it too has an 1800kg towlimit.

Pete, i have changed some txt to Caps to make it stand out.

For the record, its the C220 Diesel, 170 horsepowers and 400Nm of torques.

I'm not looking to lose my licence, just to look like I could :lol:

(and still tow my van)

Pete, i have changed some txt to Caps to make it stand out.

I had a towbar fitted to my ASTON MARTIN DB6 Mk II - but at least that was petrol fuelled

Edited by Superpete

Pete

I have an E Class AMG Sport Estate.

Have a Westfalia Detachable TowBar and Dedicated wiring kit fitted. (Fitted & Coded by North-West Tow bars - and was cheaper than buying and fitting myself)

I Believe this is the Bar for your car

Now mines a E250, so more power and weight than the C220 - But it tow's like a dream - self-levelling suspension helps.

They can NOT fit a towbar to the AMG 63.

Al.

I have an E Class AMG Sport Estate.

Have a Westfalia Detachable TowBar and Dedicated wiring kit fitted. (Fitted & Coded by North-West Tow bars - and was cheaper than buying and fitting myself)

I Believe this is the Bar for your car

Now mines a E250, so more power and weight than the C220 - But it tow's like a dream - self-levelling suspension helps.

They can NOT fit a towbar to the AMG 63.

Yes, its a little confusing. I have a 2012 E250 with Sport with the AMG body kit and some of literature does seem to suggest they you can't fit a tow bar to "AMG" models but it's the proper AMG models (C63/E63).

I have had two. The first had a Westfalia detachable swan neck and my current one has the Witter detachable swan neck. Both fitted with out bumper cuts etc.

Now trying to get a set of mud flaps for a car with the AMG body kit - thats another matter altogether. ... :angry:

But the engine is tuned for maximum power outpu at high revs with the torque band much higher up the rev band and with a relatively steep curve.

For towing (slogging if you like) the max power is needed low down with a virtually flat torque curve.

There is no merrit in having a vehicle with a peak power output of (say) 400bhp if you have to be exceeding 5,000rpm to get it

For towing peak power needs to be available (idealy) between 2,000 and 3,000rpm in order to overcome the inertial of the dead lump your trying to move.

This is especially important where the transmission is what we refer to a "manual" - less so with "automatic" transmission but will probably overcook the fluid flywheel unless an extra oil cooler is installed to cool the automatic transmission fluid.

Mine has 500nm at relatively low revs and pulls better than a discovery 3 I previously ran. Fells more stable too