Sign in to follow this  
Lee E

Truma Combi Operation Query

Hi all

Hope you can help? I have the new trauma combi heating now and I am very happy with it. However, I have a few queries that just aren't answered in the manual.

Firstly why does the manual say that both heating and water can't be done indefinitely when water set for 40o? It doesn't say anything about is problem whilst set to 60o - surely this doesn't make sense as the manual seems to say that you can't do both when meat ng water to 40 but you can when heating to 60.

Secondly sometimes when I turn on the water to heat, the room heating goes off. Other times it does not. It never happens if I heat water on 60 and I don't use the water heating boost setting so don't know why it does it intermittently on 40o setting.

Any thought???

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Not sure if you have the same system as us, but we can only set the water to 40 deg in "Summer" mode = no heating and hot water only. In "winter" mode (heating and water) you can only choose to have the water off or 60 dregs.

We have a 2013 van and I know they've modified the Truma For 2014, so yours may be different.

Glen.

Many thanks for this. I wonder if this is something to do with it?? It will heat both room and water but intermittently - sometimes it will and sometimes it won't - I wonder if this is a mod from original spec????

Edit - post removed. Please ignore me - getting confused early in morning!

Lee - you may want to update your signature to reflect your new van - still showing the Elddis Avante - hence the confusion! Think you've got a new coachman Vision now, according to other posts.

Edited by Glen and Les

Hi Lee,

Not sure if you have the same system as us, but we can only set the water to 40 deg in "Summer" mode = no heating and hot water only. In "winter" mode (heating and water) you can only choose to have the water off or 60 dregs.

We have a 2013 van and I know they've modified the Truma For 2014, so yours may be different.

Glen.

Glen and Les - You may recall that we have a similar van to yours. ... do you have any problems with the flow of water from the taps. When we turn on the tap (any of them) the water splutters for 10 or 15 seconds before settling down to a continuous flow, both hot and cold. Not a major problem I admit but irritating nonetheless and one which we will be asking the dealer about on our next warranty visit.

Glen and Les - You may recall that we have a similar van to yours. ... do you have any problems with the flow of water from the taps. When we turn on the tap (any of them) the water splutters for 10 or 15 seconds before settling down to a continuous flow, both hot and cold. Not a major problem I admit but irritating nonetheless and one which we will be asking the dealer about on our next warranty visit.

Our taps splutter when filling the tank, but are ok once the air has been expelled. We open the bathroom tap on hot first when filling, then move forward to the kitchen and do the same. Once the tank is filled I repeat the process with the cold tap. The flow is not brilliant and certainly not as good as our previous Bailey, which had an on-board pump (noisy!), but we've got used to it.

Our taps splutter when filling the tank, but are ok once the air has been expelled. We open the bathroom tap on hot first when filling, then move forward to the kitchen and do the same. Once the tank is filled I repeat the process with the cold tap. The flow is not brilliant and certainly not as good as our previous Bailey, which had an on-board pump (noisy!), but we've got used to it.

Thanks - you are slightly different having an on board tank I think. I'd have thought that as the system is pressurised that there should be a steady flow every time the tap is turned on. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'll check with the dealer. i agree that the flow was better on our last van - also a Bailey

I have a 2014 Coachman with Truma heating.

Only had the van a week so still playing.

However I note the following:-

It will run on heating and 40C water, this is ok for washing dishes, hands etc but not for showering.

It will run on heating and 60C water however even although the water is piping hot the 60C icon still flashes, I presume it hasn't reached 60C.

If it is on boost, 62C, then heating stops and won't resume till 62C is reached.

To get the boost for heating, fans on boost setting, then the set point has to be raised.

The timer can be set to say bring on heating and water, at 60C, for an hour in the morning. Before and after the set hour the heating and water will be at the manual settings.

The water flow isn't too high but I have the electric pressure control ( I think) is there a way of adjusting this?

It runs on Gas, Electric 1, Electric 1&2 but does not want to run on Gas & Electric, seems the present weather isn't winter mode. So bit confused by this.

However van very warm and water nice and hot, further playing required.

Would appreciate any helpful input from those who are experienced with this system.

Thanks

Edited by SuperJock

Thanks - you are slightly different having an on board tank I think. I'd have thought that as the system is pressurised that there should be a steady flow every time the tap is turned on. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'll check with the dealer. i agree that the flow was better on our last van - also a Bailey

No, we don't have an onboard tank in the VIP - basic aquaroll outside with usual pump dropped into it! I've noticed a restrictor in the shower head though, so if this is an issue, maybe you could widen the hole or remove it altogether.

There's a very good video on YouTube demonstrating all the Combi boiler control panel functions - including how to have the air circulating when the heater is not required. Just search Youtube for Truma CP Plus Heating Panel.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies. I will look on YouTube :-)

There's a very good video on YouTube demonstrating all the Combi boiler control panel functions - including how to have the air circulating when the heater is not required. Just search Youtube for Truma CP Plus Heating Panel.

Just noticed the vent mode while showing SWMBO how to use the control panel

Anyone having issues with the brightness of the control panel. Despite setting it to it's lowest(1), when it is clear to read, as soon as I try to set any of the functions the screen is to bright to read and flickers

My screen does stay the same brightness but unless I am at eye level I can barely see the display and it flickers terribly. Dealer warned me about this before I bought it and I regard it as a minor niggle

I have the same brightness issue with my new Lunar Conquest. I spoke to the dealer it's morning and the advice was to remove the panel and short out the circuit. Now I am no electrician but that sounds odd to me. Equally I am reluctant to remove anything like that in case I invalidate the warranty.

Perhaps we need to take this up with Truma

I too am experiencing a problem with the Truma CP Plus Heating Panel. Not how it actually has to be operated, more its reliability in staying on and working.

Overall I am very impressed with the Combi Heaters function, it is very efficient. I am grateful to Murraymint and the posting he made on the 4th March pointing to the direction of the You Tube video on how the unit works. I'm quite happy with the 'grasp' I have on its operation.

However what I am asking is has any other forum member experienced any of the other Error Codes apart from Flat Battery code, subject of a posting elsewhere under this sub section.

It looks as though my problem occurs under two different circumstances. 1) If the Combi unit has been OFF all dayand is then turned on for either heating or water, and 2) the unit is working quite satisfactory, on heating or water, but then for no apparent reason at all, the vans electrical Master Switch above the door lights up and 'drops out'. This has the effect of the clock timings being lost, the pump defaulting to Off, the radio turning off and all the preset stations being lost, other than the 240 volt lighting, the lights also go out and have to be reset. It is a pain in the proverbial to say the least.

In both instances of it not starting up and the dropping out, the Error Code E255H appear. Sometimes also the codes E69H and E89H appear with the warning triangle below.

According to the instruct book the E225H code is interpreted as 'No connection between heating system and Control Panel. Defective Control panel cable'. The 'Rectification' advice given is 'Please contact Truma Service.' There is no advice given as to what E69H or E89H means or the remedy.

Currently raised with Dealer and awaiting a response.

Any similar experiences and remedies/solutions from forum members?

Of course I accept for some reason that it could be me!!!

Bernard in Tring

I have had the E255H code a number of times. It always rectifies itself after switching off and on (sometimes takes a couple of attempts). It will be interesting to hear how you get on with yours. At the moment ours isn't a problem but it is a worry and you can't help but wonder whether the turning off and on is going to work every time.

I think I will log an email with Truma and see what they say.

Chris 308,

Interesting that I'm not the only one. Can you clarify as to whether it is only the Truma unit which malfunctions on the E255H code with the rest of the van electrics, lights, radio, water pump, Master switch etc left in tact, or do you have to reset everything else.

If you do post to Truma, would appreciate knowing their observations in order that I can compare with the infomation I hope eventually to get hold of.

Many thanks.

Bernard in Tring

• Like 1

Not had any problems at all with any of the other electrics. When the unit comes back on it has remembered the time etc and you do not need to reset it.

I contacted my dealer when it first happened as Truma don't open on weekends. By the time dealer called me back I have got rid of the error by turning the knob while it was pressed in. He tried to talk me through a way of re-setting it by removing fuses in the combi boiler itself but it was up and running again by then, which is perhaps as well as it was 1st March and very cold.

We have a 2014 Pastiche 520/4 with the "Truma Combi E CP plus ready" and "Truma CP plus" control panel fitted. Like others (it seems) I struggled with the quirks of this system. I think I now understand:

It hasn't helped that the 2014 Coachman Handbook has only been partially updated from 2013 (where the Truma CP 25-UK control panel was fitted): The TRUMA COMBI section talks about "winter operation" and "summer operation" - but this is related to the CP 25-UK and not the CP plus control panel. There is no explicit summer/winter operation setting on the CP plus. This confused me until now (after some wider reading).

The CP plus seems to attempt to hide some of the complexities (and technical constraints) of the Truma Combi e. g. the Combi has "heating and hot water" and "hot water" only modes - (on the CP 25-UK this relates to winter/summer settings). However, this is hidden by the CP plus and seems to just depend whether you turn the heating on and/or the water on. However, I think you need to understand the two modes to use the system properly.

A quirk in point: We wanted the water to warm up quickly to shower with. Through common sense and ignorance I put water to 60 degrees and I turned off the heating to give priority to water. I selected mix 2 fuel setting (gas + electricity at 1800W) for maximum heating. The water took a really long time to heat up.

After doing more reading, I think it likely that turning off the heating (and turning the water on) automatically puts the Combi in "summer operation" - i. e. "hot water" only mode. In this mode (and although "mixed fuel" is selectable on the CP plus) the "mixed fuel" settings are not supported by the Combi (it is not explained why this is, but possibly a design constraint to avoid overheating). Surprisingly, in this condition with mixed fuel selected, the Combi will use electric operation only and not gas (according to the Combi manual). This would explain why the water took so long to heat up. After a while I gave up and switched to gas only and sure enough, I heard the boiler fire up to heat the water - which it did quickly.

So, if you want water quickly and the heating is off - use gas and NOT mix 1 or mix 2. If the heating is on, use the water boost mode. If you have the heating on, you are likely putting the Combi "winter operation" and it's then less clear what water temperature you are going to have as space heating becomes the priority - particularly if you select 40 degrees.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the control panel didn't obfuscate the true operation of the boiler - pretending to be simpler than it is.

On another note we also experienced error E255H on the CP Plus on our first outing. I think a Master off and on a couple of times fixed it. Who knows when this will happen again. As mentioned by Bernard in Tring, this is related to the Control Panel Cable. After looking under the plastic cover behind the power distribution unit on out 520/4 (for another reason), I found a mass bundle of wiring ina tight ball including the CP plus control cable wrapped up in there. It wouldn't surprise me if every now and again there is some interference between some cables.

Would also be nice if the CP Plus displayed the current temperature. Never used one, but if you have the CP 25-UK, you should probably be happy with it.

If you read this far. ..thanks!

Thanks that is a very useful post.

Regards

Lee

Very helpful post.

We haven't used ours on gas yet as we are on a seasonal pitch with 16A EHU. Ours is always set on the double electric setting and on boost (water only) we have found that this heats up fairly quickly ~ under half an hour.

Hi

Re the spluttering taps, do you have an "expansion tank" fitted? This solved our woes a few years ago, but most vans now have them as standard.

Also, try turning the pump speed up a little.

Russ

Hi there we are very new to caravanning and apologise if this question has been asked before (which I assume it must have!).

We have just taken delivery of a lunar quasar 524 and have tried to operate the truma combi boiler for the first time. We connected the water pump and water supply, bled the cold water first followed by the hot and obtained a good flow of water without sputtering. We set the hot water to boost (we have the truma CP plus Control Panel) using hooked up electricity supply. After a few minutes we became aware of A burning smell and were concerned that there was insufficient water in the boiler unit. We turned everything off and drained the boiler. Warm water did come out of the drainpipe suggesting that the boiler was heating the water but despite running both Bathroom and sink hot tap for some time there was no hot water from the tap.

Questions-

1) do you have to bleed the hot water taps first?

2) has anyone experienced the burning smell with the boiler could this just be that it is new?

3) is there a safety cut out which stops the boiler from operating in the event that there is no water in the boiler?

If water was coming out of the hot taps with no spluttering then the tank must have been full because the taps are effectively fed by the tank.

The tank heater has a thermal cutout to protect the element if it's turned on with the tank empty. It's not a good idea to rely on it of course.

No idea about the burning smell though. I'd very carefully check the wiring to the tank. If you don't feel competent to do this then pay an engineer to do so - you wouldn't want a caravan fire.

Tony