Warranty Work

There appears to be lots of complaints about faults and getting dealers to do the work, it seems to me that some of the minor works ie. damp in lights, fixing loose fittings etc can be done by the owner, it seems easier to me to spend five minutes to remove a lens and dry it rather than drag it down to the dealer. I know some people will be concerned about invalidating the warrant but doing these minor jobs is one of the joys of caravanning.

And there seems to be a tendency to get on to the manufacturer rather than contacting the dealer in the first instance. Pointless: you just get directed to the dealer whose job it is to see to warranty problems. So important to buy froma dealer who is good AND local.

There is a problem within the industry which I fallen for, namely dealers contacting the manufacturers for authority to carry out a warranty repair. When in fact it is the dealers (sellers) responsibility under the SOGA as to if the dealer can reclaim the cost from the manufacturer is their problem. We all need to start getting wise to this ruse which is always the dealers get out of jail card, I have seen postings regarding warranty claims for dampness where people are waiting months for manufacturers authorisation to repair!!!!!

Never taken a van back to the dealers for warranty work. Always managed to put any problems right myself to my satisfaction. At least I know it has been done properly. They have always been passed by the dealer on service or not even noticed. !

Never taken a van back to the dealers for warranty work. Always managed to put any problems right myself to my satisfaction. At least I know it has been done properly. They have always been passed by the dealer on service or not even noticed. !

So if your van suffered from dampness and was under warranty you would fix it yourself!

So if your van suffered from dampness and was under warranty you would fix it yourself!

Yes I did on the my last Bailey. Made a betted job than the dealer would have done who passed it when we part xd it after I found more damp at the back.

Yes I did on the my last Bailey. Made a betted job than the dealer would have done who passed it when we part xd it after I found more damp at the back.

Fair play to you, but I think you would be the exception rather than the rule?

Fair play to you, but I think you would be the exception rather than the rule?

It is isn't that difficult if you are handy but it also depends on the amount of work required. We keep our van at home so any damp problems get spotted early and corrected. Fortunately our new Swift is as dry as a bone!

It is isn't that difficult if you are handy but it also depends on the amount of work required. We keep our van at home so any damp problems get spotted early and corrected. Fortunately our new Swift is as dry as a bone!

Good on you. Your obviously very "handy".

The one concern I would have if someone less competent made an attempt to rectify and this failed it would almost certainly invalidate the manufacturers warranty with the associated risks attached.

Thats pretty much the way it is, our friends bought a van from a major dealer chain that went bust a couple of years ago, they had numerous problems with the van, but the last straw was the kitchen sink that wouldn'd drain, after another trip to the dealers they were told it was ready for collection and everything was fixed, her husban was stuck in traffic so I took my car down to collect with her, only to be told that the service dept was shut but the van was ready in the yard, we hitched up and took it off home where she checked the sink operation great fine no problem it emptied quicker than ever, the downside was it emptied into the cupboard under the sink because they hadn't connected the waste hose back up, once that was fitted it was as bad as ever, they gave up then and there with the dealer and the van never went back, they had it serviced by the mobile guy who had done all their previous vans.

Anything serious like damp if the van was still within warranty and I would take the van back to the dealer, if I trusted them. Anything more minor like the cutlery drawer frame collapsing, as it did in my Orion, and I had to replace the staples with glue and screws and it is still solid. What would the dealer have done? probably just put more staples in.

I had a problem of condensation in two f the cluster of lenses on rear nearside and on one of the cluster on offside. I had it attended to at first service. 2 months later problem re-occured on same lenses. Dealer fitted replacement units and no further problems. If I had done it myself it may not have cured the problem.

There is a problem within the industry which I fallen for, namely dealers contacting the manufacturers for authority to carry out a warranty repair. When in fact it is the dealers (sellers) responsibility under the SOGA as to if the dealer can reclaim the cost from the manufacturer is their problem. We all need to start getting wise to this ruse which is always the dealers get out of jail card, I have seen postings regarding warranty claims for dampness where people are waiting months for manufacturers authorisation to repair!!!!!

Dealers only give warranties on second hand caravans . Warranties are a manufacturers warranty at the time of purchase and the dealer has to conform to your consumer rights as a purchaser .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Dealers only give warranties on second hand caravans . Warranties are a manufacturers warranty at the time of purchase and the dealer has to conform to your consumer rights as a purchaser .

Pretty much what I said?

I am not talking about major defects like damp or problems with cookers, fires etc. , I am referring to jobs you would do at home like fitting light bulbs, tightening loose fittings like drawers, and doors, surely you wouldn`t included them in a defects list.