Detachable Towball

barry c

We have a Toyota Corolla Verso diesel, tows the 'van nicely. ........... but

The car came with a detachable towball, which I'm not keen on, in fact it's started becoming awkward to remove which is good I suppose.

However I was told to just leave it in position, which is ok but if someone takes a fancy to it and takes it I'm stumped.

Thinking of changing to a fixed alternative, anyone had similar problem?

We have a Toyota Corolla Verso diesel, tows the 'van nicely. ........... but

The car came with a detachable towball, which I'm not keen on, in fact it's started becoming awkward to remove which is good I suppose.

However I was told to just leave it in position, which is ok but if someone takes a fancy to it and takes it I'm stumped.

Thinking of changing to a fixed alternative, anyone had similar problem?

If it seizes in then give it good soaking of diesel oil - that will free it off.

Mike

If it seizes in then give it good soaking of diesel oil - that will free it off.

Mike

Yes I think a good soaking with WD40 might do it rather than diesel, it's just jamming in position, which I'm not worried about whilst towing. (just when I need to remove afterwards, instead of someone else removing it!)

cheers

Yes I think a good soaking with WD40 might do it rather than diesel, it's just jamming in position, which I'm not worried about whilst towing. (just when I need to remove afterwards, instead of someone else removing it!)

cheers

For some reason diesel often works more effectively than WD40.

Mike

Thanks folks

Will get a small sprayer and give it a go next time I fill up with diesel, off with van again in 4 weeks so will get sorted before then.

cheers

Barry

( edit bit. ... just thought diesel might be bit smelly leaving 'ball' in car, which is why I thought WD40 )

Edited by barry c

Thanks folks

Will get a small sprayer and give it a go next time I fill up with diesel, off with van again in 4 weeks so will get sorted before then.

cheers

Barry

( edit bit. ... just thought diesel might be bit smelly leaving 'ball' in car, which is why I thought WD40 )

Wipe your "ball" clean and then spray it with WD40 to give it a nicer smell.

(Ooh er missus)

Cheers

Stev

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Wipe your "ball" clean and then spray it with WD40 to give it a nicer smell.
Cautionary note:

Don't do this if you have a "dry" stabilising hitch, you'll damage the friction pads. The pads should contact only clean bright metal, no oil, no paint, and no rust, just metal.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks Gordon,

Was aware of this but thanks for the warning, despite soaking the detachable towball ( except the 'ball' ) and giving the towbar area a good spraying, still not good removing.

Think I will have a word with Toyota dealer and see if there's a reasonably cheap way (except for welding the thing on :o ) of changing to a fixed ball.

thanks folks

Barry

Cautionary note:

Don't do this if you have a "dry" stabilising hitch, you'll damage the friction pads. The pads should contact only clean bright metal, no oil, no paint, and no rust, just metal.

Gordon.

I keep a small sponge abrasive pad in the back of the car. It's perfect for getting the shine back on the ball. I bought 10 for a £1 at a market.

Mike

My current car and my previous Renault had detachable towballs and both had locks. I'm surprised that such a relatively expensive piece of hardware has no way of securing it.

I too have the 10 pack of sponge pads for ball wiping when necessary.