Legal Weight Combination? Help Wanted.

simeonp

I've been investigating new vans and I've come across a sticking point - the 3. 5 tonne train limit.

This thread was mildy helpful but I'm still not 100% certain.

The government site is typically about as clear as mud and I was hoping someone here maybe able to shed a little more light on the matter.

This article on NTTA states 'max. 3500kg gross trailer weight.', does this mean car+ up to 3500Kg within the limits of what the car spec. is?

The government site above says 'does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3. 5 tonnes MAM' - which implies train weight?!

:unsure:

My specific scenario:

Sorento: kerb-2148Kg gross -2600Kg

Aventura 340: miro-1378kg mtplm-1610kg

The total train could be anywhere from 3526Kg to 4210Kg, both of which are over the 3. 5 tonnes. Does this mean I would need a HGV license?

If the 3. 5 tonne train limit applies with the Aventura in this case you can only pull it with a 1890Kg vehicle, which is an 89% match. Goodness knows how you'd get on with a ~1900Kg Besscar as you'd only be allowed to pull it with a 1600Kg car 118% match! :o

How do you guys with Shoguns and twin-axles go on?

Any info would be appreciated to ease my confused brain. :blink:

Any info would be appreciated to ease my confused brain. :blink:
It's OK - found the answer myself and thought it worth posting.

I called the CC's 'Outfit Matching Line' and they informed me that any pre-1997 issued driving license was 'old style' and therefore the max train weight is 8200Kg. So I'm in the clear. Panic over.

Worth checking yours though.

So did you find out the definition of MAM.

Is it the Gross weight of the Vehicle + MPTLM of the caravan?

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

If you passed your driving test after 1 Jan 1997 and you wish to tow an outfit with a MAM greater than 3500Kg (Total authorised mass of vehicle and caravan), then you need a category E (as well as the normal B ) on your licence which I believe involves another test.

See DVLA

http://www. dvla. gov. uk/drivers/vehicle_cat_desc. htm

Anyone using a Discovery or similar towing a caravan will come into this category

Brian

Cheers

Lee

MAM is some techie term but it's basically the total weight.

Train weight is the total of your car + van. This is getting into a whole specific area that's interpreted in various ways.

I've heard of people being taken to weighbridges for the police to check the total weight.

There's also consideration for your vehicles maximum train weight, which should be indicated on a plate on your vehicle.

It's a bit vauge for me to recall all the details but it's definetly worth investigating.

Cheers

Lee

MAM means Maximum Authorised Mass or in more understandable terms Permitted Maximum Weight. This may be applied to the towing vehicle or a caravan. With a caravan MAM=MTPLM - both terminologies mean the same - max weight.

Max Gross Train weight is normally on the vehicle weight plate. On many vehicles it is the MAM plus the max towing weight. The max towing weight is can be greater than the kerb weight on many vehicles as it is based on the ability to restart on a hill and is not based on stability considerations. As a result Max Gross Train Weight is not normally an issue for most combinations.

Brian