Which X-trail

zip

I was thinking of buying a new X-trail and noticed a lot of people here had one. Would be very interested to know which of the models you bought and why.

Was also vaguely wondering which you thought might hold its relative value best. :rolleyes: The Aventura comes with with leather seats + electric adjustment, ESP, Xenons, sun-roof, sat-nav etc. and costs around £3k more than the entry-level SE. In "executive saloons" leather etc. is pretty much expected but how much extra would you guess a second-hand X-trail buyer would be willing to pay for the higher spec if sold in say a year or two? Is going for the higher spec on a 4x4 in this bracket a reasonable investment or likely to be lost money?

Zip

I have a 2004 DCi Sport model which was then one up from basic. It had extras such as sunroof, roof spoiler and a six change CD/tape player. The X seems to hold its value fairly well but buying a new car you rarely win!! Its difficult for me to comment on the extras. I imagine a lot of buyer will find some of the extras useful but might want them included at a lower spec price. All that aside the X is a really competent towcar and I feel is a good balance between a large saloon/estate and one of the larger 4X4's.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I was thinking of buying a new X-trail and noticed a lot of people here had one. Would be very interested to know which of the models you bought and why.

Was also vaguely wondering which you thought might hold its relative value best. :rolleyes: The Aventura comes with with leather seats + electric adjustment, ESP, Xenons, sun-roof, sat-nav etc. and costs around £3k more than the entry-level SE. In "executive saloons" leather etc. is pretty much expected but how much extra would you guess a second-hand X-trail buyer would be willing to pay for the higher spec if sold in say a year or two? Is going for the higher spec on a 4x4 in this bracket a reasonable investment or likely to be lost money?

I have an 04 DCi Sport, as the other poster says, is one up from base at the time.

You will find that the map in the sat nav is 3 or 4 years out of date and costs an arm and a leg to replace . You would be better spending £300 on a portable unit if you do need satnav. Xenons are good, but can be obtained via the web for about £270 (I dont mean bulbs, I mean proper HID kits with ballasts igniter etc) and take 30 mins to fit. I not got ESP but wished I had, but thats only cos I do use the X off road (telecoms engineer visiting base stations on hill sides etc).

I would maybe try and get an aventura that is a few months old and haggle it down to the same price range as the SE and then you wont lose so much as the 1st owner.

Steve

Thanks Steve and David.

Did wonder about the cost of updating the sat-nav cd.

I'd quite like the leather seats because we've got dogs and pulling their hairs out of fabric seats with sticky tape is a major pain but have to buy the Aventura to get them now I think. Sunroof, ESP, and xenons would all be nice but not so bothered about the sat-nav - where's the fun if you don't get lost occasionally. Way it's priced of course you have to buy the whole package. Wouldn't mind the extra £3k so long as I could get a proportionate chunk of it back on resale.

Edited by zip

Hi Zip

I also have a 2. 2 dci sport on a 54 plate.

I have had a quick look at the depreciation of an 03 plate sport against the next model up (which had the leather seats etc) and for the same year and mileage the sport had lost 34% and the next model up 37%.

Therefore you will lose more of your money if you buy the model with leather seats.

Pete.

Guess there's no such thing as a free lunch. Can only wish. :)

Applying those figures to the Aventura, 37% of £23,325, and SE, 34% £19925, seems to work out at about an extra £600 per year over those 3 years depreciation for those little extras. Are they trade in figures Pete?

Applying those figures to the Aventura, 37% of £23,325, and SE, 34% £19925, seems to work out at about an extra £600 per year over those 3 years depreciation for those little extras. Are they trade in figures Pete?

When I was at the dealer getting my (company car) 53 plate Mk1 X-Trail serviced, they had the mid-model (Adventura?) with free sat-nav. Is this still available? Due to change in September this year so I'm going to have a look at everything including the new Rav 4. 90,000 miles to date and no major problems.

Mike

When I was at the dealer getting my (company car) 53 plate Mk1 X-Trail serviced, they had the mid-model (Adventura?) with free sat-nav. Is this still available? Due to change in September this year so I'm going to have a look at everything including the new Rav 4. 90,000 miles to date and no major problems.

Mike

Seems to be the "Colombia" that now comes with sat-nav Mike. I think there are three trim levels: SE, Colombia and the Aventura at the top with all the bits.

(Didn't SE used to mean Special Equipment or similar? Not sure how that has come to mean the base model.)

Isn't it all down to personal preference? I've got an'05 registered 2. 2dci SVE. I like the leather seats and the sat nav does what I want it to do. I always check my route beforehand and carry an up to date road atlas for my 'navigator' to check. It's a very capable towing vehicle and can be quite economical. Best mpg to date is 41 solo, 26 towing. As for losing value it's no good being paranoid about it, as soon as you drive anything of the forecourt it's losing money but if you look after it and don't sell it you've lost nothing.

You're quite right JTS, the most important thing is that you enjoy it.

It is interesting though that a lot of people get in a tizz about fuel consumption but don't worry about the biggest cost of running any newish car which is depreciation. The X-trail is currently particularly good for not depreciating. Due to my circumstances it's possible I'd only have it for a year or two so that's an important factor for me.

Drive any new car away and it will lose a chunk of value right away. In the first year that could be as little as 2-3K for some cars but 6K or very much more for others. On the other hand the cost difference for fuel for someone doing 10K miles per annum between a car that does 30mpg and one that does 40mpg is only a few hundred pounds pa. I haven't a clue of the mpg for any car I've ever had because I've never bothered to check. When it's empty I fill it up. I don't get overly bothered about something that's only a small part of the overall running costs.

Edited by zip

Hi Zip

Yes I was looking at the trade in figures.

Unless you go for a Kia or similar, depreciation on other cars does seem to be quite similar. (Give or take a couple of percent.)

I tend to look at running costs rather than capital cost (within reason) for a car over a 3 year, 50,000 miles. I find that this helps me decide.

Pete.

Hi Zip

Yes I was looking at the trade in figures.

Unless you go for a Kia or similar, depreciation on other cars does seem to be quite similar. (Give or take a couple of percent.)

I tend to look at running costs rather than capital cost (within reason) for a car over a 3 year, 50,000 miles. I find that this helps me decide.

Pete.

I have a company car supplied via Alphabet Leasing and the running costs and depreciation are indicated by the monthly cost to me. Something like a Kia or a Hyundai, which have a much lower OTR price than a Nissan or Honda, have a much higher monthly cost thus clearly illustrating the depreciation costs.

If I was buying privately, I would only consider the Kias et al on a pre-owned basis.

Mike