Hi Everyone - I Am New And Could Do With Advice

Hi everyone!

I haven't owned a caravan for about 20 years.

I have a Peugeot 207 SW with a towbar and would like advice on what sort of caravan I should look for. The car is just a 1400 petrol, is it suitable at all for towing a caravan, or just designed for a small trailer?

Years ago we had a Royal - it was gorgeous. I am just looking now for anything light enough to tow - not fussy it's just me and my partner now.

I look forward to hearing from people.

Karen

This link is useful http://www. whattowcar. com/

The Peugot and a Bailey 460/4 is 96% and the Bailey is pretty light.

What sort of caravan did you envisage towing?

Edited by gumdrop

Thanks for the link, I've tapped in my details, but realize that I need to have a few caravans in mind first. I'll take a look at a baileys, I do remember them years ago. I guess you mean the smallest in the range?

I should have said, I am looking at the moment for a cheap second hand caravan, small and solid rather than big and light. I just don't know what to look for. I have no idea what I would need to pay for nice solid (don't mind old or old fashioned) caravan.

If I really enjoy it, and make good use of it, then I can think of getting a heavier car at some point and upgrading.

I have a bailey ranger 2002, 2 berth end bathroom. Had it three years and it's been a great one. .. Nice to tow. .. Pick one up now for 3000 to 4000 pounds. .. Just take a damp tester with you and check the front under the seats. ..

Good luck. ..

Thanks for the link, I've tapped in my details, but realize that I need to have a few caravans in mind first. I'll take a look at a baileys, I do remember them years ago. I guess you mean the smallest in the range?

I should have said, I am looking at the moment for a cheap second hand caravan, small and solid rather than big and light. I just don't know what to look for. I have no idea what I would need to pay for nice solid (don't mind old or old fashioned) caravan.

If I really enjoy it, and make good use of it, then I can think of getting a heavier car at some point and upgrading.

Google Caravan Finder plenty of 2 Berth lightweights in there . ..Private and Dealers. .... You may strike it liucky by popping into a local Storage facility maybe find one for sale or maybe one that has not moved in a while and make them an offer. ... Never know. .. ? Make sure you get it professionally checked. .. Worth it on the long run. ..

GAS . ... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Thanks for your replies. How do you test for damp is it like a piece of special paper that turns colour?

Who do you get to check over a caravan? I know what to look for underneath (rust!).

Thanks,

Karen

Do check on your car reg document what your legal maximum you can tow is first and also what your maximum gross train weight is which would be your loaded car + any caravan. You couldn't go over the lightest of either of those weights

If you are considering a new car any time soon may be worth doing that first and giving yourself a few more options? Small engine diesels may offer more choice than small engine petrols as they generally have more torque and slightly higher towing limits

Some folding caravans are pretty light and ideal for towing behind a small car as an option

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Thanks for link, I'll have a proper read, I noticed it said avoid buying from March to April! I'll have to hold on for a while. Firstly, I will just 'keep my eye open', I am in no hurry.

Four star, I am not thinking of changing cars, as I only got my car in Oct. My other half does have an old diesel Caddy van, but it isn't much heavier than mine, but it is 1. 6.

I would like to find out more about folding caravans sounds like a good idea. I guess it's one up on a tent.