Which Haven?

sprite

The kids have talked me into trying a Haven at Easter. ....there are 3 on the Yorkshire coast, which is the best or one to be avoided and why?

Cheers,

Sprite :)

Unless you can get a europitch I would avoid all of em ! Never seen such a crowded ( & IMHO illegally spaced ) standard pitching area as the one in the lakes !

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Well i've been to reighton sands near filey and haggerston castle near berwick upon tweed with the family, and both are pretty much the same, if I was going to go back I'd pick haggerston castle as I prefer it due to the surrounding area. I'd have to agree to a superpitch though, some spacing on some of the sites is truly shocking!!

I went to the one at North Berwick, however it was to a rented out static van.

I would never go back, mainly due to very noisy neighbours up all night drinking, loud Rave music till gone 5am and despite several calls to security, and a visit by the police, nothing effective was done.

Of course that may be a one off event, but it's put me off Haven permanantely.

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Hi Sprite

I have stayed at Blue Dolphin in August 2011 and Primrose Valley in May 2012, and although I didn't stay I pitched my caravan twice at Reighton Sands in 2011 and again in 2013 for my sister in law to spend the week in.

To be honest I wouldn't return to Blue Dolphin, I did stay on a euro pitch that was excellent but the distance to the main resort area was quite a way and the touring / camping fields did get cramped and appeared to have very little by the way of organisation, as a result it did get quite lively and the toilet/shower blocks did get overcrowded and a little dirty! (they were portacabins at the time and may have been upgraded since we stayed)

Primrose Valley was excellent, again the touring area was quite a distance from the main resort buildings but the pitches were well spaced and well organised, the toilets were immaculate but the difference between PV and BD was the warden, she was quite young but had been caravanning for years and so understood it. The site was also very well kept with the usual swimming pool and amusements etc but also benefited from a fun fair on site so there was plenty to do.

As I mentioned I didn't stay at Reighton Sands but my sister in law and her family really enjoyed their week, there are two touring areas, both times when booking in we were allowed to choose which area we wanted to use and on both occasions I pitched in the area immediately behind the main resort buildings so they were right in the thick of it. The pitches are on a steep slope and very little was provided for levelling so if you choose Reighton Sands take some chocks with you, to give you an idea I was on the lowest level which was on the steepest part of the slope and had the hitch on the floor and still needed a building block stood on end at the rear! The pitches are also quite tight, not helped by a narrow road between them with very little room to park cars, therefore the whole area felt very cramped and overcrowded.

From my experience and to answer your question I would avoid Blue Dolphin and recommend Primrose Valley, although I'm sure my SIL would recommend Reighton Sands!

Davros

Many people will never use Havenbut my view is that there is plenty for the kids to do and so long as you don't expect caravan Club or CC&C standards you will should be okay.

I know it's not a haven site but try skipsea sands we stayed there for a week last October very nice site all on the flat showers brand new and spotless cleaned every day

Thankyou for the replies, folks. ..very informative. I have read reviews for all the sites in question and I know you just have to take the rough with the smooth at these sorts of places but in the end I have gone for Skipsea Sands. ....it has the facilities we wanted - indoor pool, amusements etc but had the added advantage of being quite a bit cheaper than Haven. ...the reviews were not too bad either.

We are going in April so I'll post a review on my return. :)

Thankyou for the replies, folks. ..very informative. I have read reviews for all the sites in question and I know you just have to take the rough with the smooth at these sorts of places but in the end I have gone for Skipsea Sands. ....it has the facilities we wanted - indoor pool, amusements etc but had the added advantage of being quite a bit cheaper than Haven. ...the reviews were not too bad either.

We are going in April so I'll post a review on my return. :)

Good choice, went there for 5 days last August with grandkids aged 5 & 2 touring area much much better than Haven. If you want your kids to have breakfast with the "characters" you need to book this the day before. Onsite soft play area is not very good but Offsite there is a nice indoor soft play right next to a sweet factory not too far away on the road to Bridlington.

Hope you have a nice time.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

• 4 weeks later...

got an amazingly cheap deal. ....thought it must be a mistake (booked online)....I kept checking it was not just for one night and included all of us. ...about a quarter of what Haven were charging. ....I will review once I've returned :o