No Expiration Data

tictag

Has anybody come across a PAYG SIM, any network, suitable for a mifi device where the data allowance does not expire?

I just want to buy 100MB or similar and use it until the data is used, not when the network provider says I should use it by or lose it.

Edit: typo

Edited by tictag

With Giffgaff, "goodybags" are a bit like an ordinary contract, albeit one you can cancel at any time. The normal PAYG: http://giffgaff. com/index/pricing charges data at: "Mobile Internet is charged at no more than 20p a day (up to 20MB). If you go over 20MB, you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB."

This PAYG doesn't have an expiry date AFAIK. I use the PAYG for my (infrequently used) mobile; my wife uses goodybags for hers and both seem fine. Far better than the bog operators' rates.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

With Giffgaff, "goodybags" are a bit like an ordinary contract, albeit one you can cancel at any time. The normal PAYG: http://giffgaff. com/index/pricing charges data at: "Mobile Internet is charged at no more than 20p a day (up to 20MB). If you go over 20MB, you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB."

This PAYG doesn't have an expiry date AFAIK. I use the PAYG for my (infrequently used) mobile; my wife uses goodybags for hers and both seem fine. Far better than the bog operators' rates.

Giffgaff is probably (well actually it is - I've just done a price comparison) the least expensive mobile service provider and is free of contract but they expressly forbid tethering and will ban you from using their network if their monitoring system detects you trying to tether.

Both "goodybags" and "Gigabags" are time limited and expire after one month and you have to purchase credit (which is not time limited) for use with your goodybag/gigabag package.

I have the goodybag for my phone and my wife has goodybag for her phone and gigabag for her ipad.

My usage is so low that Giffgaff advise me that even though I use their leat expensive goodybag (£5) I would be better off using their standard PAYG tariff which requires top-up but has a 3 month time limit.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

The thing is 20p per day is still £6 per month and there are many other packages that offer similar data and some for less. For example, 'three' offer 250MB per month for £5, 1GB for £7. 50. But still, all these packages have one thing in common: use it or lose it.

And of course, it's in their interest to generate a regular revenue stream irrespective of whether you use their service or not but in this case, that's not in my interest because in this scenario I will be using exceptionally low amounts of data.

I gave had a Vodaphone dongle for over 5 years. It had an open ended data time. However that was changed a month or so ago and is now £5 per month minimum.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Seems a very common theme. I've called E (Orange / T-Mobile), three, O2 (inc GiffGaff) and none offer a data allowance that doesn't have some form of expiry attached to it. The longest expiry I've seen is with three at 12 months but that's £70+ !!

The thing is 20p per day is still £6 per month and there are many other packages that offer similar data and some for less. For example, 'three' offer 250MB per month for £5, 1GB for £7. 50. But still, all these packages have one thing in common: use it or lose it.

I don't think the Giffgaff PAYG (NOT goodybag / gigabag) has this restriction. And it's only £6 per month if you use it every day. For occasional use I still think it beats the others.

Ian.

My planned usage for this sim is exceptionally low. This sim is actually for my caravan to send status updates (battery levels, solar output etc) to a website. It sends a 1KB packet every 5mins, that's around 288KB per day or 8MB per month. Paying even £6 for 8MB data usage per month is obscene.

Hence the title. ..if I could just buy maybe a 1GB data allowance that didn't expire I would have solved this particular problem :)

I was using an all-you-can-eat three sim in a mifi device (connected both to my caravan's system [via ethernet] and my laptop [via wifi]) and this worked fine until yesterday. They now tell me this method of connection is not supported. Grrrr.

It's an interesting application. I wonder why you need to send data so frequently? Wouldn't it be easier to store locally then upload in bulk?

Ian.

Yes, and you can do this; the time between updates is configurable. But this won't change the amount of data being sent, which will be exceptionally low. As it's a new, sparkly system I'm probably just enjoying seeing the data near live. As the sparkles where off, I'm sure I'll move towards a less frequent update schedule!! ;)

My planned usage for this sim is exceptionally low. This sim is actually for my caravan to send status updates (battery levels, solar output etc) to a website. It sends a 1KB packet every 5mins, that's around 288KB per day or 8MB per month. Paying even £6 for 8MB data usage per month is obscene.

Hence the title. ..if I could just buy maybe a 1GB data allowance that didn't expire I would have solved this particular problem :)

I was using an all-you-can-eat three sim in a mifi device (connected both to my caravan's system [via ethernet] and my laptop [via wifi]) and this worked fine until yesterday. They now tell me this method of connection is not supported. Grrrr.

Sounds like an ideal job for Samba Mobile - no expiry and the widget in your browser shows credit remaining.

Sam :beardy:

I gave had a Vodaphone dongle for over 5 years. It had an open ended data time. However that was changed a month or so ago and is now £5 per month minimum.

I am in the same situation which is a bit of a bummer, as I am a very light user in the caravan, so it used to suit me fine.

The cheapest I can find is £5. 00 a month, but when i use a lot less, I begrudge paying that.

Tim

Yes, and you can do this; the time between updates is configurable. But this won't change the amount of data being sent, which will be exceptionally low. As it's a new, sparkly system I'm probably just enjoying seeing the data near live. As the sparkles where off, I'm sure I'll move towards a less frequent update schedule!! ;)

I understand completely! But once you do settle down as it were then probably once a week would give you what you need and in that case the giffgaff offering would probably suit well.

Ian.

Sounds like an ideal job for Samba Mobile - no expiry and the widget in your browser shows credit remaining.

Wow! This may well be just perfect! I watch a few ads, Samba Mobile give me a few megabytes, I use them to send status updates via the mifi device. Cost = £5 for the SIM. Like it a lot :D

Try Tesco mobile payg. (uses o2) - £10 top up - no limit - includes data @ 20p/MB no tethering permitted.

Edit: Sorry just realised you use a mifi dongle.

Edited by beejay

Not many options like that anymore - Vodafone used to do a non-expiring dongle at £15 for 1Gb but this package has been revoked for even existing customers so here are some alternatives:

Ovivo uses the O2 network, and for a £20 initial sign up you get £15 'credit' and 1Gb each month:

http://www. ovivomobile. com/offer/ovivo-for-data/

Free expect the odd re-direction to an advert, but if you use Opera as your web browser this won't happen.

Samba Mobile you have to 'watch' adverts to generate credit to go online with, but uses the Three network: http://www. sambamobile. com/Home/Samba

The other alternative is something like Three which give you 3Gb which is valid for 90 days. This SIM used to be £15 but is no closer to £20. You can't renew the deal once the 90 days are up - it will cost you £15 for 30 days - so throw away the SIM and get another: http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B003Z0T3X2

The other option for 'ad hoc' usage is T-Mobile SIM on which the 'credit' doesn't expire, but you can convert it at any time to data at a rate of £2/day, £7/week, £15/month. The data is unlimited browsing - but a 200Mb/day fair usage for video.

Bottom of this page:

Hope this helps.

Adam

http://www. motorhomewifi. com

• 1 month later...

Just a quick heads up to say that Ovivo have gone out of business.

The website today shows the following:

We are very sad to announce that for reasons beyond our control, OVIVO Mobile is closing down on the evening of Wednesday 19th March 2014.

Wed like to thank each and every one of you for your support and friendship over the last two years.

Pity the three 321 payg sim cannot be used in a mifi - this would work really well for low data useage. Do not understand why they make the difference between phones and tablets/mifi/dongles. Data is data?

'Expiration' is a 'orrible clumsy Americanisation, why on earth they just can't use simple 'expiry' is beyond me.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

• 1 month later...

Worth noting that Samba shut down yesterday.

If anyone finds a non-expiring data sim, do let us know!

Car: 2005 Citroen C5 2. 0 (was: 2009 Hyundai i10 1. 2 Comfort, and it towed okay!)

Van: 1996 Abbey Vogue (was: 1986 Ace Marauder 360 4 berth mtplm: 800kg, now dead!)

Author of the Caravan Buddy Android app

. ..and me!

I'm guessing those with Samba have just received an email from them recommending 'MobiData'. The data expires every month but it's the best price I've seen thus far. £4. 94 for 1GB monthly expiry. Three has £5 for 250MB monthly expiry.

Edited by tictag

Pity the three 321 payg sim cannot be used in a mifi - this would work really well for low data useage. Do not understand why they make the difference between phones and tablets/mifi/dongles. Data is data?

Has anyone actually tried a 321 sim to see if it works or not? I'm wondering if really infrequent use as proposed by the OP would go undetected?

VW Touareg 3. 0 Auto / Bailey Pegasus 2 Ancona / PowrTouch mover.