Which Is The Best Over All Towcar

Phil O

We currently have a 13 plate Antara 2. 2seNav, I've banged on about it on other threads about how poor it is. Well the better half is staring at redundancy so the cars going (thank god).

We're looking at spending around 12k on a replacement. We've got a Challenger 570 and a dog, those 2 have to be catered for in our choice, priorities are listed in order

Reliability

Comfort

Economy (I'm only interested in realistic comments on this as you read so many comments where a large group of people claim X and then there's always 1 claiming 20-30% more for the same type of vehicle)

Cost

I'm also torn between SUV, estate and hatch, I've enjoyed the height of the Antara but its not that important, I quite fancy the Honda CRV, insignia Sports tourer, X Trail and Mondeo estate ( had a 2010 Mondeo hatch and was very pleased.

Any comments most welcome

Phil

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a 2009 CRV, the CDTi not the newer DDti or whatever it's called engine. The build quality of the car and reliability was fantastic. Economy nowt like what they claim (nothing new there) and it had the personality of a Twix or a fridge. It did nothing wrong but it never endeared itself to me, mainly because it was a poor (IMHO) towcar. On paper it was fine but it was sluggish up motorway gradients and the torque was in the wrong place. The later engine may be better. Four wheel drive is automatic and a bit slow to cut in when needed.

I had a 2005 X Trail for three years, loved it with a passion. On paper similar performance to the Honda but it felt more powerful, was a great towcar, and four wheel drive selectable with a low ratio. Great for getting off muddy rally fields. Again that was the earlier 2. 2 engine, not the 2. 0 one in the recently replaced model. Also the Nissan had loads more toys and luxuries than the Honda. Please don't ask why I got rid of it, never quite worked that out myself.

My caravanning mate just replaced an old shape Mondeo with a 59 plate two litre one, he is a big fan and loves it. Fuel economy he says is brilliant. I can't work out why, if he wants two wheel drive, he doesn't buy Passats.

Me, I don't know why caravanners ever buy two wheel drive cars, but they probably don't go where I go.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Don't reckon you could go far wrong with a skoda superb estate. Great value and it will prob be my next towcar after the merc (as many toys and £15k cheaper!)

Don't reckon you could go far wrong with a skoda superb estate

Not suitable for our caravan.

Thanks for info Henry P, seems you liked the X Trail

Phil

Edited by Phil O

Perhaps consider people carriers ?

Bags of room, drive like a car, good tow cars, and quite economical if you stick to 2 litre diesel.

Land Rover is now back towing.

There is only ever one choice for ultimate towcar - discovery 4 perfect for any occasion

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

+1 for the D3/D4.

I get 32mpg out of my D4 on a motorway run and 26mpg towing. pretty good when you think you are towing 1700-1900Kgs @ 60-70mph plus a fully loaded car.

the mpg seems to stay at 26mpg whether I tow the general purpose trailer, the delta or the stellar

it may do less mpg than a basic car, but its much more than just a car. Its worth every penny in my opinion. I had my first in 2006 and havnt looked back since.

all down to personal choice and what you can get for the money you can afford/are prepared to spend.

To summarise:

12k budget

Wants - economy, decent running costs, tow a circa 1500kg van

Not wants - skoda superb, people carrier

To summarise:

12k budget

Wants - economy, decent running costs, tow a circa 1500kg van

Not wants - skoda superb, people carrier

Skoda Superb is not a viable match for the caravan. As far as everything else, you summarise well. .

Skoda Superb is not a viable match for the caravan. As far as everything else, you summarise well. .

Phil - that's why I said not want. Add the rejections of vehicles onto the list!

What about something like this v70?

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201402131768427/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_30000_miles/body-type/estate/make/volvo/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/13000/radius/1500/postcode/rg141jx/model/v70/fuel-type/diesel/page/1?logcode=p

Edited by milkymarsh

Now then, that's looking good, never really thought of a Volvo, I'm only 53 at the end of the day. But yes, it's on the 'like' list

Now then, that's looking good, never really thought of a Volvo, I'm only 53 at the end of the day. But yes, it's on the 'like' list

Most comfortable seats out of any car I've had

Or you could try this classic which people love here

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201312020272585/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/rg141jx/page/1/model/santa_fe/make/hyundai/radius/1500/body-type/4x4/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_30000_miles/price-to/13000/fuel-type/diesel?logcode=p

Edited by milkymarsh

I paid 12. 5k for a 12 plate Mondeo 140 Titanium Hatchback with 17k mikes on the clock last June. It ticks all your boxes, tows my 1450kg Hymer with the utmost ease, on the one trip out with the van so far down through mid wales from Rochdale to Fishguard and back it returned 30mpg. On my day to day running which is a series of 10 mile round journeys with a 50 mile round trip once or twice a fortnight it returns 46 mpg. On the two occasions when I have had a 220 mile round trip with half motorway and half ordinary A roads it returned 58mpg. My insurance is £280 a year, road tax was £125 and Fraud service charges are reputably £114 for a minor service and £180 for a major service. It has the advantage that you have driven one and like it.

There is only ever one choice for ultimate towcar - discovery 4 perfect for any occasion

Many many people would disagree with you, for me in my year there would be few if any occasions when it would earn its keep.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I paid 12. 5k for a 12 plate Mondeo 140 Titanium Hatchback with 17k mikes on the clock last June. It ticks all your boxes, tows my 1450kg Hymer with the utmost ease, on the one trip out with the van so far down through mid wales from Rochdale to Fishguard and back it returned 30mpg. On my day to day running which is a series of 10 mile round journeys with a 50 mile round trip once or twice a fortnight it returns 46 mpg. On the two occasions when I have had a 220 mile round trip with half motorway and half ordinary A roads it returned 58mpg. My insurance is £280 a year, road tax was £125 and Fraud service charges are reputably £114 for a minor service and £180 for a major service. It has the advantage that you have driven one and like it.

Many many people would disagree with you, for me in my year there would be few if any occasions when it would earn its keep.

Bill that's a lot for insurance isn't it? we have a 2012 shogun with me and the wife on the policy with protected no claims/legal cover/ Fully comp cover abroad and its only £217. Thats with the CC. PS the Shogun has been the best tow car by far so far, we collect our new one on the 4th of March.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

2009 onwards Xtrail 173ps, not as good a towcar as the older 2. 2 diesel, but full of toys and 100% reliable.

Most mpg I had was 48, average was jut under 40mpg round locally.

Towing 1565kg would return at most 28mpg.

Look for a Adventura explorer with satnav and reversing camera, and xenon headlights

Edited by xtrailman

Have you looked at a Chevrolet orlando. I bought one new three years ago and the prices have dropped like a stone so a very low mileage one can be picked up for a song.

It is a fantastic car over 40 solo and pulls my Valencia as though it is not there I have the auto 163 hp and I am very happy with it.

Look it up.

2009 onwards Xtrail 173ps, not as good a towcar as the older 2. 2 diesel, but full of toys and 100% reliable.

Most mpg I had was 48, average was jut under 40mpg round locally.

Towing 1565kg would return at most 28mpg.

Look for a Adventura explorer with satnav and reversing camera, and xenon headlights

Why is the newer engine not as good a towcar? Is it torque? Regardless, you can get the same engine, 4wd system and nicer interior in the Renault Koleos for a lot less money. Not sure if the boot is quite as dog friendly as the X Trail though (it is longish but not very deep) and you are buying a car that is no longer sold in the UK (the rest of the world gets it though!)

Have you looked at a Chevrolet orlando. I bought one new three years ago and the prices have dropped like a stone so a very low mileage one can be picked up for a song.

It is a fantastic car over 40 solo and pulls my Valencia as though it is not there I have the auto 163 hp and I am very happy with it.

Look it up.

Isn't the Orlando a people carrier?

Depends how old you want to go, but what about Jag XF or Freelander 2?

Is there really such a thing as a best overall towcar? I don't think so. It depends too much on one's set of priorities, like what size of caravan is going to be towed, is the car going to be used as a dedicated towcar or primarily solo, what cost constraints apply, is it going to have to be 4 wheel drive, etc. , etc.

Caravanner1/discodunc.

The OP asked 'Which Is The Best Over All Towcar'

You mention D3's & D4's which are not Towcars they are Tow Machines.

Totally different to Towcars. ;)

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

If your looking at Volvo's - XC90? £12. 5k would get you a nice one of those as well ;)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................