Coachman Platinum Pastiche Discharging Battery

cakebaker

Our 2012 caravan's battery has discharged every time we collect it from storeage. It has been looked at and it was suggested that the alarm is discharging the battery. However, we don't set the alarm when leaving it, but it keeps discharging.

Any ideas?

Our 2012 caravan's battery has discharged every time we collect it from storeage. It has been looked at and it was suggested that the alarm is discharging the battery. However, we don't set the alarm when leaving it, but it keeps discharging.

Any ideas?

Hi cakebaker

Welcome, Have you switched off the 12v master switch? If not this will be one of the causes,

Have you removed the radio front? This could be another cause

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Didn't think about the radio front! Many thanks for that :0)

what about your TV booster, is that off too?

and is fridge and or light off?

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

This was a well known problem with 2012 Coachman vans. Ours did (does?) the same. When I had the BCA battery charger replaced I was told that this had a problem and it had caused the drainage. Never checked it myself as I have always since removed the battery and brought it home to put on a trickle charger

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

Any ideas?

When you say it's been looked at. ..who by & why couldnt they say exactly what the problem was?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

It was looked at by Glossop Caravans at the last service and update. It's going for its annual service in the next few weeks and we'll ask them to investigate again. There was a boiler design fault that Coachman thought may have been a problem on all of them but it seems to have made no difference.

When we are away there is no issue. It's just we can't use the mover until the battery is fully recharged again.

Really appreciate your input. Thank you!

They should be able to test what is using the battery and then advise you the best course of action. Please be aware that your insurance company should be informed if you deactivate your alarm.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

Please be aware that your insurance company should be informed if you deactivate your alarm.

Only if it is a requirement of the individual insurance co clauses, that the alarm is activated whilst unattended otherwise not necessary to tell them.

Only if it is a requirement of the individual insurance co clauses, that the alarm is activated whilst unattended otherwise not necessary to tell them.

Obviously. ....but I have not seen a modern insurance application form that doesn't ask if you have an alarm, if you say yes when you apply I would imagine they will expect you to use it.

After spending many hours on our van (2012) we have managed to get it to last just 4 weeks before needing a charge. There is a permanent live to the alarm and the fridge which you cannot turn off. The answer is an 8 watt solar panel. Not satisfactory I know but it seems to work for most.

After spending many hours on our van (2012) we have managed to get it to last just 4 weeks before needing a charge. There is a permanent live to the alarm and the fridge which you cannot turn off. The answer is an 8 watt solar panel. Not satisfactory I know but it seems to work for most.

Agreed, I have a 4watt panel sat in the roof light when in storage and keeps the battery topped up (that is if it is sun shining) :)

See my post 26/04/2013. If it's wired the same as my 2012 Pastiche 470/2 you will find the fuse marked ALARM is actually also the fuse for the MAIN CONTROL PANEL above the door. This according to BCA is because the MAIN CONTROL PANEL requires a permanent feed. The alternative was to double up with FRIDGE display. This was because of a shortage of DC distribution fuse positions.

We are having problems with our 2013 vip. and cannot get to bottom of it. I have been assured that there should be no problem with the charger. There was a problem with a batch of 2012 chargers but these have all been recalled and changed. We have been told by Coachman that the problem is a faulty battery. It is new and not yet 12 months old our dealer has checked it says there is nothing wrong with it. I have been assured that the fridge, radio and t. v booster all use a small amount of power but should not flatten the battery in 2 weeks as is happening to ours.

Coachman suggest that we get a new battery and that it should be a british made one as they are superior and preferably an AGM (absorbed glass mat) one.

It is going in for its first service at beginning of March and I hope that it can be sorted out.

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

We also have the same problem with our 2013 VIP and, like Chris and Rob above, our van goes in for its 1st service next week, so we will ask them to check things out. The van is not actually going back to the dealer, but to a local Swift Dealer, who is approved for Coachman work, so it will be interesting to see if they can actually identify the cause of the drain. I don't think it's the charger,as this isn't used during winter storage - we've been charging the battery at home and swapping it every few weeks - luckily we kept our old battery from a previous van. I don't think it's the battery either, as both batteries discharge in a few weeks.

Once we get the van back from service, and if the cause hasn't been identified, Les will do his own testing at home to see if we can find out what it is. We do have a portable solar panel and we may have to look at ways of rigging that up permanently through the winter months - no wonder the new vans now come with a solar panel already installed!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Glen and Les

I have p. med you.

Chris

<p>

Glen and Les

I have p. med you.

Chris

Received and responded to.

Glen.

There is a letter in Doug Kings "Ask Doug " section of this months Practical Caravan saying that the battery is draining in storage. They do not say what of make of caravan they have.

Chris.

<p>

There is a letter in Doug Kings "Ask Doug " section of this months Practical Caravan saying that the battery is draining in storage. They do not say what of make of caravan they have.

Chris.

Just had a read and disappointed with Doug's reply - I do think it's becoming a common problem, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't bother installing solar panels on new vans.

Anyway, our van is ready to be taken in this afternoon for service tomorrow, so I'll report any findings back, although, if I'm honest, I'm not expecting them to find anything wrong.

Glen.

Further to the above, we have just collected the van from its first service and, as expected, no problems with any equipment/wiring found. Our battery was declared good and we were advised that there are permanent live feeds to the fridge, LCD Panel and also the Truma heating panel - the only way you can "kill" power to these is either remove the battery or remove the battery fuse.

So, conclusion is, as mentioned by someone above, it's all this blinking new electronic stuff and basically the van needs a permanent solar connection, as fitted to the new vans!

Back to the drawing board.

Seems ridiculous that they have designed a van with an alarm system but due to other live feeds, the battery goes flat quickly. .... You say that solar panels are installed as standard now. ... I wonder why!!!

Caravanless. ...

We had the same problem with our 2012 Pastiche, 2 to 3 weeks and it was flat.

But we got the new charger and now after 8 weeks in the winter it was still showing 12. 3 volts.

I always take the radio face off and just turn the master switch off. I switch the alarm on.

I would start with a multimeter and find out how much drain you have with the master off, I bet it is about 0. 3AH that is what ours was.

Richard. ..

2012 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4, PowrHD Mover, Kamper 390 awning, Tugged by a 2010 Volvo V70 D5 Geartronic TwinTurbo

ava1.jpg

I bought one of these to find what items were draining the battery

http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/400mm-automotive-current-tester-max-n48cy

Might be useful to anyone without one

We are planning to do some voltage drop checks in the next few weeks as we have van at home at the moment. The charger is working fine - this was also tested on our service yesterday.

Will report any findings back in due course.