Timberless !

Subneural

So unless its April 1st it would appear Swift have finally done what many people have asked for and ditched the wood.

Personally I cant wait to see them at the NEC, although I can't order one this year.

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/swift-2014

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they will roll it out across the whole range as the cheapest one is £22. 5k !

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

I've had one since November. I hope they have got it right, I'm happy with the fact that

a) water shouldn't get into the frame, and if it does it wont rot it.

But

B) Any water that gets into the frame, should come back out the way it gets in, or evaporate and dry out.

It will be interesting to see if we have a dry summer, whether any damp readings are recorded, during the dry spell.

I hope they will roll it out across the whole range as the cheapest one is £22. 5k !

The Sprite's have it

Edited by wigelywoo

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I've had one since November. I hope they have got it right, I'm happy with the fact that

a) water shouldn't get into the frame, and if it does it wont rot it.

But

B) Any water that gets into the frame, should come back out the way it gets in, or evaporate and dry out.

It will be interesting to see if we have a dry summer, whether any damp readings are recorded, during the dry spell.

The Sprite's have it

From the article -- ""The new luxury models take this development work a step further, with Smart HT - for 'high-tech'. It's a completely timberless bodyshell.""

As in not just the baton's, like yours and the Sprites you mention.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

I wonder what a damp meter will actually read when the probes are inserted. Will it only be the surface boarding that will be measured. ..assuming that the new material used doesn't take in moisture. Will it not be like prodding into rubber?

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

As long as the workshop that is carrying out the damp survey is a member of the Approved Workshop scheme they will have a non invasive damp meter (no prongs)...... Do they still have wooden floors?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Looks like a laminate of structural aluminium honeycomb top and bottom with foam insulation in between so no wood in floor either

There is no wood/timber anywhere. The floor is a 5 ply sandwich with no wood.

Ern

I don't think the use of a damp meter will be appropriate for this construction. There is no wood. There is no hydroscopic material. A damp meter test would be useless. I too hope that Swift succeed with this. If it adds a bit to the cost, so what? We want dry caravans and this is the best effort made so far by any UK manufacturer.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

I don't think the use of a damp meter will be appropriate for this construction. There is no wood. There is no hydroscopic material.

A damp meter test would be useless.

Ah. But the dealers would then have to drop the price of the Service By about £30 or so. Is that another Flying Flock of Pigs I see going by.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Alan Stanley. I would say there's not a cat in hells chance of a service cost reduction.

Ern

It's the greatest step forward in caravan design I've seen with a construction of body AND floor timberless. It's only a matter of time now before Bailey will have to reply and take the wood out of their floors to be able to compete. I am so excited by what Swift have done and they have to be congratulated for this major jump forward in the way caravans are designed and built.

It will be very interesting to see this technology filter down through all their caravans and it's only a matter of time

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Would there be any need to connect the required annual service to the water ingress warranty anymore, with this type of build. ?

What is the body integrity warranty on these new Swift caravans ?

Must be honest. .........I do like the look of them visually and in their structural design, just wish they sort out their interiors !

Anyway. ......Time will tell if this new design is a success and value for money.

Warranty was announced as 10 years manufacturers warranty (not insurance backed like some others)

What is the body integrity warranty on these new Swift caravans ?

Simon & Michelle + Logan the spaniel, 2016 Sterling Elite 480, 2015 Volvo V70 D4 SE Lux auto, Devon

It's the greatest step forward in caravan design I've seen with a construction of body AND floor timberless. It's only a matter of time now before Bailey will have to reply and take the wood out of their floors to be able to compete. I am so excited by what Swift have done and they have to be congratulated for this major jump forward in the way caravans are designed and built.

It will be very interesting to see this technology filter down through all their caravans and it's only a matter of time

I wouldn't of thought that Bailey would need to catch up with Swifts design, from memory there really isn't a problem with water ingress on the Bailey Alu-Tech range. ......is there. :blink: So why change something that's works ?

Warranty was announced as 10 years manufacturers warranty (not insurance backed like some others)

Cheers !

Edited by Gaz40

I am sure that for longevity the new construction could be the answer. ...provided we don't discover other frailties with the materials and fixings to replace leaks and damp. A bold step. ..let's hope it works out.

I do feel that the interior of these new caravans is starting to go OTT. The 'chic hotel' look that Swift are aiming for, with this look isn't necessarily what I equate with caravanning. Cannot help thinking after a season of family use in muddy fields it will be more shabby chic.

Of course, a bit more crystal and mirrors, and the travelling community would love to get their hands on this bling. :-)

My mistake re. the damp meter. I hadn't made the link and was still assuming Swift's current Smart construction methods with wooden floors and just non-hygroscopic support structure. Having seen the video, I too will now consider Swift again. (previously two leaky swifts. ..many years ago)..but might give it time to see how the structure and panels hold up. ..and await more layouts. Like others, I hope they roll out the construction across their range. Look out those who don't keep up eh!

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Have to say it look very nice, also glad that the All GRP construction was correct as I had mentioned some weeks ago.

Just to point out, this whole new design will of course IMO come with teething problems, this is to be expected, however, the teething problems with these kind of materials could be a whole new ball game for Swift.

Gone (Hopefully) will be wet timber and ply, although whether or not the Caravan will be leak from remains to be seen, 12-18 month will open this up.

My main concern with this construction is the Floor, this 5 core sandwich construction, there are plenty of variables that come together, IMO, Warping could be a massive factor, I will be looking for creaking floor, gaps to base of furniture and pulled fixing points. Spring and summer are on the way, when this construction heats up. .......IMO we will see the true value to the claims Swift make of the HT construction. IMO we will see serious issues concerning warping.

Also, not keen convinced of the reduced condensation claim, cold chamber tested or not, only time will see.

Now to the key concern for me. GRP outer, the old Abbey range of the 90's were plagued with GRP faults and problems such as Delamination, splits, warping defects causing stresses to the components. I'm not convinced GRP outer was the way to go, yes its harder wearing, but is also know to have some of the above, also, discolouration, all of us with GRP front and rear panels that are looking very creamy and very dull compared to the rest of the Caravan will know this. Again, time will tell.

If all is well, then they could be the first to have cracked the damp problem, or at the very least, the damage it does to wood, where the water will go now when it leaks is another question.

I am slightly concerned about the furniture fixings in the sidewalls, apparently they fix to a plastic mesh type material in the wall structure, with the potential for so much warping, I'm not convinced of the strength.

Love the look, its sleek, smooth and clean. Interior for me is another matter, don't like the gloss doors, don't like the colours and current layouts not for me. Love the composite worktops though.

Just watched the video on this construction, he goes on about the Caravans being easier to make, hmm, surely more cost effective too, so why the heavy price tag??, comparing to the Eternity range, I know what I would be looking if I could pay just a little more. Also, well done to the workers in the video taking there time and ensuring we see that they take so long to do the process and take so much care in what they do, are they hourly paid, or bonus paid, my concern is that whilst all the HT design looks futuristic, we are still relying on a 'Human' to apply the adhesives at the correct speed and amount, my concern is that when the cameras are away, the mice will play, speed may still be the order of the day IMO. 'HUGE CONCERN'

Time will tell on this.

sandy

Edited by sandym

Swift Challenger 530 2010

Towing with Range Rover Vogue 2014

Have to say it look very nice, also glad that the All GRP construction was correct as I had mentioned some weeks ago.

Just to point out, this whole new design will of course IMO come with teething problems, this is to be expected, however, the teething problems with these kind of materials could be a whole new ball game for Swift.

Gone (Hopefully) will be wet timber and ply, although whether or not the Caravan will be leak from remains to be seen, 12-18 month will open this up.

My main concern with this construction is the Floor, this 5 core sandwich construction, there are plenty of variables that come together, IMO, Warping could be a massive factor, I will be looking for creaking floor, gaps to base of furniture and pulled fixing points. Spring and summer are on the way, when this construction heats up. .......IMO we will see the true value to the claims Swift make of the HT construction. IMO we will see serious issues concerning warping.

Also, not keen convinced of the reduced condensation claim, cold chamber tested or not, only time will see.

Now to the key concern for me. GRP outer, the old Abbey range of the 90's were plagued with GRP faults and problems such as Delamination, splits, warping defects causing stresses to the components. I'm not convinced GRP outer was the way to go, yes its harder wearing, but is also know to have some of the above, also, discolouration, all of us with GRP front and rear panels that are looking very creamy and very dull compared to the rest of the Caravan will know this. Again, time will tell.

If all is well, then they could be tphe first to have cracked the damp problem, or at the very least, the damage it does to wood, where the water will go now when it leaks is another question.

I am slightly concerned about the furniture fixings in the sidewalls, apparently they fix to a plastic mesh type material in the wall structure, with the potential for so much warping, I'm not convinced of the strength.

Love the look, its sleek, smooth and clean. Interior for me is another matter, don't like the gloss doors, don't like the colours and current layouts not for me. Love the composite worktops though.

Just watched the video on this construction, he goes on about the Caravans being easier to make, hmm, surely more cost effective too, so why the heavy price tag??, comparing to the Eternity range, I know what I would be looking if I could pay just a little more. Also, well done to the workers in the video taking there time and ensuring we see that they take so long to do the process and take so much care in what they do, are they hourly paid, or bonus paid, my concern is that whilst all the HT design looks futuristic, we are still relying on a 'Human' to apply the adhesives at the correct speed and amount, my concern is that when the cameras are away, the mice will play, speed may still be the order of the day IMO. 'HUGE CONCERN'

Time will tell on this.

sandy

Yes,but apart from that!

Glass half empty? :)

Good Morning Paul,

LOL, just seeing it from a cautious perspective, Ive worked in the GRP industry for many years up to 2006, I know my salt with it, but I think we all have good reason to be a bit weary about amazing new designs when they arrive, as Ive said earlier, theres more to a book than its cover, we heard it all before, Bailey, the 2011 Swift designs and how it was at the time revolutionary, so yeah, glass half empty, but from experience and with good cause.

sandy

Swift Challenger 530 2010

Towing with Range Rover Vogue 2014

My parents are 6-7 months into ownership of a 2012 Sterling. if bits continue to fall off it they won't have it by the end of the year. it has been the least reliable van they have owned in well over 50 yrs of vanning. (and they have had a few) lets hope they can get the fixtures right as well as the materials and build process.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.