Avante 2013 Damp At First Service

dizzy71

Hi, as the title suggests i have an Elddis 540 that we purchased last year. It has just had its first service, although we have only had it 10mths, we put it in early. Damp has been found in the locker to the left of the kitchen and it appears to be coming from a seal near the roof. It has 46% damp. I am so disappointed and do not want it repaired. With all the claims that Elddis make i feel we should be entitled to a refund/replacement. What are peoples views?

SOGA 1974 not fit for purpose. I agree with you, with all the hype about SOLID construction and computerised adhesive depositing I think it's disgusting. The Germans have a similar construction and they don't leak, why can't Elddis stick them together properly.

Of course your first line of attack has to be to get the dealer on your side to get Elddis to sort this. My guess is they will offer a re-seal but I doubt you will get your money back YET. Make it a condition that if it goes back for a re-seal and it doesn't work, THEN you will be asking for your money back. Best of luck. ...Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

If you're going for a refund you need to do that from the start. If in the Caravan club use their legal advice, or you may have cover on your home insurance. I think if it goes back for a e-seal you may have blown your chances: get (proper) legal advice.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

From previous experience forget going after elddis, it the supplying dealership you need to be talking to your contract is with them not Elddis . Be firm but keep it polite but be persistent make it clear what you want and put everything in writing . Good luck hope you get the result your after .

That's not good at all is it, especially as Elddis made such bold claims, and there's another post on here where a dealer was boasting about no damp claims with the new solid build.

Make sure that if they do repair/reseal, that they actually remove the affected area and not just seal over what sealant is or isn't in your case already there.

Or go down to the NEC, go on the Elddis stand and scream repeatedly "my ten month old van is wet as . ....." Might get a result.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

That's disgusting. I have the same van and mine is getting its first service on Thursday . God help Elddis if damp is found. I already have been waiting for nearly two months for a response to my dealers warranty claim regarding the rear cracks. I would certainly go for a refund, as you, like so many others have purchased these vans due to Elddis stating they will be totally dry. Isn't that what SOLID, supposedly stands for. Strong,light and dry.

Your contract is with The dealer. It is difficult to divorce thinking about your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. from your rights extended to you by Elddis by way of a warranty.

Legally you did not pay Elddis a penny and you don't have a claim against them under the Sale of Goods Act. Before proceeding you need to read and understand the SOGA,. Any process will be against the named dealer you purchased from/and or the H. P. company (if that applies). They purchased the van from Elddis wholesale and then sold it to you at a profit.

It may seem wrong not to blame the manufacturer and go after them but that is not what the law says. One of the reasons being how would you go after manufacturers on the other side of the world.

There are multiple sites giving advice but this one is quite good. http://www. which. co. uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

On a practical front.

Keep a diary, write everything down. Photograph or video everything you can.

Always put complaints in writing and their replies also in writing.

If it's a phone call for example just tell to slow down as your are taking notes. On face to face interviews I write it down on front of them. That gets their attention.

Best of luck. Some dealers we have seen are O. K. others border on criminal, and they get away with it because people do not know or are too soft to demand their rights.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Sorry to read your problems - I like many others I had hoped solid was as good as claimed but I guess its only as good as the person applying it :(

As said get proper advice but dealer is responsible under soga.

Having battled dealer and Elddis since July 2013 to fix my 2010 I have every sympathy for you. Mine has now been returned from factory too late for planned trip this week and only one side has been strengthened/repaired not both as agreed in September but dealer says they can't do anything as it's elddis decision.

Good luck with getting yours sorted.

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

So one SoLiD caravan has a leak and SoLiD is a monumental failure? What does that make Alu-Tech then?

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Dizzy 71

Have you any photos of the area the seal where the leak is, would love to see it as i have a solid van.

Flynn

So one SoLiD caravan has a leak and SoLiD is a monumental failure? What does that make Alu-Tech then?

Not sure anyone is saying that - neither does that help OP who is experiencing a 100% failure rate of Soiid build at present.

OP take advise as suggested as to whether you are starting down a rejection route or allowing a repair.

Sadly likely to be a long road I would suggest - hopefully your dealer is a good one

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Hi, Thanks everyone. I will take some pictures tomorrow. The damp is located in the first locker to the left of kitchen, the leak appears to come from the roof joint above this. The people who service the caravan believe that it is a manufacturing fault. Glossop have not been helpful and told us to get it repaired under warranty by the approved service people we used. I mentioned SOGA and they said you would have to have reported it by 6 months - yet we only have to service them at 12 months. She then said that they will not accept the damp report and we would have to tow it to them 90 miles round trip for a 20 min test then take it back home until they can book it in for the work! .

Out of sheer frustration after numerous calls to different people i clicked on the Elddis site and left a message on the contact page that says 'tell us what you think' - so i told them exactly what i thought. I told them that firstly the caravan is freezing with gales blowing around our feet. The heater is useless and we certainly couldn't use the van year round. The blind above the fixed bed broke and we had to pay for it to be fixed as it wasnt a warranty problem. Lastly, after just 10 months the caravan is damp. I ended by saying i would never buy Elddis again and would certainly not recommend them. I got a phone call from customer service today to say that an engineer and a quality manager would like to call and see me on Friday and look at the van. Will let you know what happens.

Seaman

I don't think that was what people have said - however, for me i guess just the one is a 'monumental failure'. I'm interested to know, would you still apply the same logic/thought process if it was your 10 month old van?

Maybe we should get a damp meter and check out our new caravans before six months! Hmm.

All in all very disappointing. We had a 2013 540 also and the heating problems are well documented. We have still an Elddis van but accepted we would use a radiator overnight in cold weather when we bought the caravan.

If Whale offer to do the mods on the heater (as we had) its worth it. But we still used a draft excluder at the front and a radiator for overnight.

Dizzy, I hope you get sorted to your satisfaction. Thank you for keeping us all posted.

I got a phone call from customer service today to say that an engineer and a quality manager would like to call and see me on Friday and look at the van. Will let you know what happens.

Seaman

I don't think that was what people have said - however, for me i guess just the one is a 'monumental failure'. I'm interested to know, would you still apply the same logic/thought process if it was your 10 month old van?

Hi Denise,

I am sorry about your plight, my comment was aimed at subsequent posts, one from someone that doesn't even own a SoLiD caravan.

If you have had a read of the post regarding the Whale heating system, you will see that some of us found a remedy to the cold blast of air around our feet. Unscrew the beige plastic covers inside the front drop down cupboard and refit them with the opening facing the front of the caravan. I agree the heater is not quite man enough for the coldest part of winter, and we have bought a free standing heater for additional warmth. Oddly we haven't had to resort to the additional heater, so turning the plastic covers have worked for us?

Yes you are right, I would not apply the same logic or thought if I was in your situation, but thankfully I'm not. I have probably one of the very earliest Solid caravans built due to ordering it in September 2012. Touch wood (my head), it has been a very good buy and nothing has gone wrong apart from 2 trivial things which are not Elddis's fault.

I see from your last post that Elddis have been in touch with you, so hopefully things will be dealt with to your satisfaction?

I wish you well,

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

my comment was aimed at subsequent posts, one from someone that doesn't even own a SoLiD caravan.

Wow - I did not realise you had to own a solid caravan to offer support or comment on this topic!

At the risk of upsetting Seaman again - I am glad Elddis have been in touch and sending out someone - I hope you get sorted quickly with as little stress as possible :)

I have been looking at a solid storm with envy since September - maybe if I buy one I can post some more ;)

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Dizzy

i would do a web search on this dealer and their after sales, and maybe check other caravanning forums and see what you may be up against.

I have no experience with this dealer but I very much recognise the name from posting on this and other forums

Please also note the 6 month rejection period is a red herring for something like a new caravan I would add

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Absolutely right, they cannot take away your rights after 6 months, tell them to go boil their collective heads. ...Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Hi all,I posted a random question on this forum a while ago and got a instant reply from elddis

Customer service,they seem to be a bit reluctant to get involved in this

toyota rav4 t180

2010 elddis avante 540

Maybe we should get a damp meter and check out our new caravans before six months! Hmm.

That's probably the best advice to give anyone with a new caravan. Check it religiously on pick up and then every month or so. A sad indictment on the industry. But proof that it is leaking before the 6 months is one of the biggest guns you can have in any subsequent dispute and or rejection battle.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

The bottom line is, it shouldn't leak at all. Elddis have got a lot of sales through there fanfare of a Damp free van, hence the name Solid. Strong,Light and DRY. I myself bought my van because of that. Telling someone they only have 6 months to claim, is a absolute joke. And that person who has said that shouldn't be on the end of a phone dealing with customers. As regarding Elddis, nothing would surprise me with this company anymore. To only give 12 months warranty, on a major panel in the main construction of there caravans,says it all really.

Dizzy,I hope to god the penny finally drops with the people who are coming out to you,and they do the correct thing in sorting out your nightmare of a problem your having. I hope it all goes well,and please if you have the time keep us informed. Cheers Scoobz

Hi, as the title suggests i have an Elddis 540 that we purchased last year. It has just had its first service, although we have only had it 10mths, we put it in early. Damp has been found in the locker to the left of the kitchen and it appears to be coming from a seal near the roof. It has 46% damp. I am so disappointed and do not want it repaired. With all the claims that Elddis make i feel we should be entitled to a refund/replacement. What are peoples views?

dizzy71

I find this interesting now i can understand where leak is coming from, while away in October i had what at first was damp coming from the plastic ceiling joining piece in that same locker, had a wobbly and called solid a lot of unprintable names dried area and left a tissue on floor of locker, kept checking each day but did not appear again, i check this locker on my many visits to the caravan but still tissue not wet i can only think it was condensation, looked on roof and joining strip seems to be well bonded, if the water was never mopped up i can understand 46% hope this is the case in yours otherwise Elddis solid looke to be the same as rest of manufactures

Flynn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I may have the same situation; an Avante 576 with reported damp in two areas at its first service.

Van originally bought new in April 2012 and just been for first service, picked it up 2 days ago. Showing 30% damp around the front offside and 30-40% around the rear nearside, just behind the main door. These two areas are the main concern, but other areas are showing 10-15% - is this normal?

I'm waiting for a couple of warranty parts (door flyscreen anyone?) that will take weeks to appear (why? - another mystery). I will then take the van back for a while-I-wait fitting and a re-check of the damp readings. I'll decide what to do from there.

In the meantime I will crawl over it taking pictures and seeing if there is anything obviously wrong. All very disappointing!

Steve