Low Gearing On Fold Up Bike

ivan leslie

i bought a fold up bike for taking in the caravan and am finding the gears are too low for me - having to pedal too fast and getting nowhere !! i am not technical but wonder if it is possible to adjust the gears or do i admit my mistake and get another "proper" sized bike?

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

It depends on the type of gears on the bike.

If it is the type where you have different sized cogs (Derailleur) on the rear wheel you can get different ratios which would help.

Gears.png

If they are Sturmey Archer then that is more problematic.

Gear 2.png

nothing stopping anyone swapping a sturmey sprocket Steve. its been a long time but i am 'was' trained to service sturmey hubs.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

thanks guys - there are different sized cogs so i will be off to the bike shop when i get home from Spain & get them changed.

I ordered my Brompton folder (6 speed) with gearing lowered 6% cos there are a lot of hills round here. It was a no cost option, just a slightly different rear sprocket, so I guess you should be able to get your changed.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

thanks guys - there are different sized cogs so i will be off to the bike shop when i get home from Spain & get them changed.

Just noticed your from Lincoln, its quite possible between myself and my dad we have the bits you may need. if not i know of someone who will have and is cheaper than any shop.

Drop me a message when your back and I will take a look if you want. i used to work in the cycle trade when i left school for a few years.

Dave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I've found that too, so this is a very helpful posting.

To be honest, though, what we do at the moment if we are planning on doing a lot of miles by bike we take our proper bikes (21 speed) and if we are just using bikes for errands and local A to B stuff, we take the folding bikes. It just depends on where we will be staying and what the cycling opportunities are.

Worth knowing that the gearing can be changed, although with just 6 on the folding bike, I may still find that I can't find any that I really like :rolleyes: .

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Just noticed your from Lincoln, its quite possible between myself and my dad we have the bits you may need. if not i know of someone who will have and is cheaper than any shop.

Drop me a message when your back and I will take a look if you want. i used to work in the cycle trade when i left school for a few years.

Dave

thanks a lot Dave, really appreciate that. we are back at the end of March so will contact you then. thanks again.

Ivan