Would It Work As Tv?

Hi all.

At the moment I cant really warrant paying for a TV for the van. However, I have a spare 24" flat screen pc monitor that has an HDMI ( & DVI-D, whatever that is) input on it.

If i can find a freeview box that has HDMI out (if they exist) would this work with the PC monitor and 'van aeriel?

Cheers, Mark

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Freeview HD boxes are available.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

You will need seperate speakers as well.

knarf

HDMI carries both video and audio so should play through the monitor speakers if there are an integral to the monitor, if not then the above applies.

If a Sky \ Virgin Media \ Freeview \ Freesat box is used at home you are, simplistically, using the TV as a monitor by by-passing it's inbuilt tuner. So, same for "TV" in caravan.

Great. Thats given me something to think about.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Not all PC monitors will support UK TV resolutions and scan rates. ... So you may need to be careful in choice of box and ensure it is compatible with your monitor.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Not all PC monitors will support UK TV resolutions and scan rates. ... So you may need to be careful in choice of box and ensure it is compatible with your monitor.

If it has an HDMI input, as the OP says, would this not ensure compatibility? OK may not have 1080?

If it has an HDMI input, as the OP says, would this not ensure compatibility? OK may not have 1080?

Yes you're right as is Rodders but monitors are generally quicker (more responsive) than TVs cos they do not have the facility to upscale - monitors better for gaming etc but not for video.

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

NO. e. g. The monitor may well have a MINIMUM picture refresh rate of 60Hz which means it just won't work on 50Hz TV signals.

Care is required. MonkeyMark: Study the specs and/or post the specific make and model number. Google for the similar questions for that monitor - the question may well have come up before.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If a Sky \ Virgin Media \ Freeview \ Freesat box is used at home you are, simplistically, using the TV as a monitor by by-passing it's inbuilt tuner. So, same for "TV" in caravan.

Very true !

Try it by connecting to whatever box you use at home, to the monitor, bearing in mind what KNARF said about speakers in post #3.

If that works then take whole set in the van.

If it doesn't then report back.

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz

Thanks all.

The monitor is a Flatron W2442PE. Has built in speakers though not very good. Ill test at home when I get the chance. Its just something for a stop gap as we have no van TV yet.

I need to work out cost too. No point spending money on a freeview with hdmi if they are expensive as it just means waiting longer for TV.

OK

Thanks all.

The monitor is a Flatron W2442PE. Has built in speakers though not very good. Ill test at home when I get the chance. Its just something for a stop gap as we have no van TV yet.

I need to work out cost too. No point spending money on a freeview with hdmi if they are expensive as it just means waiting longer for TV.

OK the manual http://www. lg. com/uk/support-product/lg-W2442PE# states on pA23 that the hdmi supports 576p @ 50 Hz (shame we use 576 i for SD broadcasts), 720p (not used in UK broadcast), plus 1080i and 1080p @50Hz (used in HD).

SO you need a HD box that will deinterlace and upscale SD broadcasts as required. .. You should use 1080 to get closest to the native picture resolution of the screen (it will rescale other resolutions but possibly quite poorly).

I suspect almost all Freeview HD (and freesat HD for that matter) devices will do that for you. But it will be worth a check of the specs before buying. Your budget and desire for a record function (PVR) may sway your purchase of stb?

There may even be a few Freeview SD decices with hdmi that can do this BUT I'd strongly advise against a Freeview SD device as they will become obsolete when the SD DVB-T system gets replaced by DVB-T2 as used for HD in the foreseeable future.

Another option if you have one is to use a laptop to drive the monitor and get a TV stick - which can be standard definition if you prefer. You will also get the advantage of the laptop speakers or a wide selection of easily attached external speakers if you prefer. The laptop can also be put to other good uses as many sites nowadays have wi-fi, quite often free.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville