Electric Hob

den123

hi all do any of you use the portable hobs x2 that you can buy so to use on electric thanks

We use one when camping on EHU. Works a treat.

No point in paying for electric and then using gas.

Also useful at Christmas, when you are cooking dinner for 18! :blink:

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

We use a single electric hob sits on a small table in the awning with electric grill at the side

Kia sorento Titan in command of a bailey pageant Sancerre

We've just got the single one & as Wunny says, why pay for gas. We find it ok (Royal we, I am not allowed anywhere near food cooking, only prep, oh & the Cobb Barbie) ;) . My missus takes the Remoska & a small slow cooker as well so I think we have all bases covered.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

On our cadiz 2 we have an electric hob with 3 gas rings. The problem with the electric hob is the frame around I t does not allow you to use a decent sized pan. On our swift van we could use any size pan we have in the van.

Kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

We have a similar situation. Suppose I should review the pans

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I use a mini oven which has two hotplates on top, I use it in the awning.

This way you can use the oven outside, keeping all smells out of caravan. Bought for £58.

Total wattage 2700.

Swift Colonsay 2006 2013 bailey valencia u2-- 2013 Elddis Affinity 550- 2017 Adria adora isonzo 613 platinum

This is the one we've got from Amazon. It has 500, 1000 & 1500w power settings, roughly 2A, 4A & 6A power needed from the site bollard. Its a great little hob & as a previous poster said it can be used outside to stop the caravan smelling of cooking.

Duronic HPS1 Single Table Top Hot Plate / Boiling Hob - Stainless Steel

Edited by stevew1

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

On our cadiz 2 we have an electric hob with 3 gas rings. The problem with the electric hob is the frame around I t does not allow you to use a decent sized pan. On our swift van we could use any size pan we have in the van.

Kev

Same problem on ours - the kettle wouldn't quite fit so took off metal frame and modified it slightly in vice in workshop with a few small bends - kettle fits a treat now but anything bigger - forget it.

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia

do you not find it takes an age to boil a kettle. we have an electric ring on the caravan hob, but we always use gas as it takes 4-5 times as long to boil the kettle.

do you not find it takes an age to boil a kettle. we have an electric ring on the caravan hob, but we always use gas as it takes 4-5 times as long to boil the kettle.

If an electric beer bottle opener took 4-5 times longer than gas then. ....but for a cup of tea. .....? ;)

Sam :beardy:

We use an electric kettle - boils in no time.

VW Passat + Bailey Unicorn S4 Valencia.

We are looking at getting a double electric hob for use on our meandering a through France as it will save on Gas use!

Just started doing my research! Thanks for the links Rita.

Paul

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Remember as they are solid plates they take a while to bring things to the boil

And a longish time to cool down

We use ours on the top of the gas cooker

And always put a saucepan of water on while we eat Never have enough hot water for washing up

We actually lift the metal frame out of the way to boil the kettle. It really is a school boy error having a hot plate which cannot be used!!!!

Kev

Same problem on ours - the kettle wouldn't quite fit so took off metal frame and modified it slightly in vice in workshop with a few small bends - kettle fits a treat now but anything bigger - forget it.

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

We are looking at getting a double electric hob for use on our meandering a through France as it will save on Gas use!

Just started doing my research! Thanks for the links Rita.

Paul

But many French sites will limit your amps so you can't use it or charge you extra for higher amperage so using gas will be cheaper and boil/cook quicker in any case. Sensible folks the french site owners.

Edited by Fenester

I bought one it is now keeping all the rest of the unwanted/unused /useless articles company in the shed!

Too slow and too high wattage for a lot of French sites as per Fenester's post.

knarf

Edited by KNARF

I have bought an electric hotplate (one of those Freeman things)to use on French/Spanish sites in place of the Cadac. but when I opened the box at home, it said it was 1800watts. - not sure how it will perform when the electric water heater in the van is running. I may end up using gas after all !, but wont know until we go over there in May.

I have bought an electric hotplate (one of those Freeman things)to use on French/Spanish sites in place of the Cadac. but when I opened the box at home, it said it was 1800watts. - not sure how it will perform when the electric water heater in the van is running. I may end up using gas after all !, but wont know until we go over there in May.

The majority of french sites the basic electric is limited to 6 amps: you will more than likely trip the pillar and the patron will not be pleased and will let you know in no uncertain terms; the French have a particular flavour to customer service.

You can on some sites pay for higher amps they will issue you with a higher rated dongle thing but the cost will be high and prohibitive.

In France in the summer it is often too hot to cook in the caravan so your cadac sounds so sensible ; faster cooking and no cables to trip over. I find a single 7kg gas cylinder will last a two week holiday without an issue; take a camping gas pigtail and then you can always take a 907 cylinder or buy one at the hypermarket should you in the unlikely circumstances run out.

In the UK we continue to fill caravans with high demand amperage items and as the trend here is for all inclusive EHU the pitch fee continues to rise to compensate.

A CL owner I know said he has had people using up to £10 pounds of electric per night in the winter with people heating awnings with 3kw fan heaters and the like - the"I've paid for it so I will use it attitude" is resulting in higher prices for all. In addition many sites are tripping out during high occupancy times in cold weather as people pile on the amps. Go gas it makes sense.