Creaking Tray

sampvt

Our new (to us) van has a creaking shower tray. The tray itself is not cracked or leaking but the underneath support seems to be faltering. When I stand on it to use the loo, it creaks and groans. Is there something along the lines of the stuff we inject into delaminated boards or something else that can be injected as the removal of the tray would be a pain and pretty difficult for me being semi disabled.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

If there are voids and you can get access then maybe an expanding foam.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

It would be pretty easy to drill a hole, inject the foam then seal the hole with a strong watertight adhesive. I was planning on doing this but fearful of the fact that if it didn't work, my tray would be stuck for ever. What would be the best expanding foam to use and how long does it take to harden

The thing I would be wary of is the force of the expansion. See what else is suggested. If I were to use a foam I would first sound the area to try and determine if there was an obvious void. I would also load the base with some board and bricks.

3 years ago I remodelled the bathroom and replaced the bath with a large walk in shower. I formed a perfectly level base and bedded the shower base on rapidset floor cement ensuring it was well bedded. The shower base weighed half as much again as me. I checked out the next day and found that despite all my acare there was a void in the back corner. The base was very expensive. I spent several hours thinking how to resolve the problem assisted by several double scotches. The next day I bought a long length of tubing from a brew centre and two cans of builders foam. By using a long drill bit then a copper pipe hammered in. turned, removed etc I eventually reached the void. I fed the pipe into the area as far as I could and filled the void with the foam withdrawing the pipe slowly as I worked. Job sorted.

If you do resort to this I would personally place boarding on top and, because the load is spread far more than the area of your two feet put at least twice your body weight of load with flag pieces or bricks on top of the area. Any foam escaping needs to be cleaned from the shower surface immediately and do not turn your back on it for half an hour in case more oozes out. I can't remember how I cleaned off surplus. Probably used a roll of kitchen paper and water to dampen it. How quick does it go off. Petty quick, probably well under 24 hours depending on the thickness/amount I suspect. I left ours for 48 hours before walking on it to complete tiling.

In your case I would only resort to it if I felt that there was flexing and likely to be a problem. Our last van had a similar set up to yours and over 700 nights away we never heard any creaking. Does yours feel iffy or is the creaking worrying?

If you do go down that route I would firstly spray a small amount into a plastic pop bottle so that you can appreciate how much it expands. After that use art rather than science to guide you.

I bought two cans from B & Q with plastic nozzles to push the brew kit pipe onto.

Sorry for the long post above. Can't think of any other way to increase support.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Beware that solvents in the expanding foam could disolve your acrylic shower tray :(

Not something that should be ignored.

Alan

• 1 month later...

I have revisited this problem and have been advised to not drill through the top of the tray for cosmetic reasons but to indeed go in from underneath because if the shower fitment or tray had been leaking, the water would have compromised the floor underneath. With this in mind I had another look at the shower tray and it has recently been sealed and the epoxy used was very strong and probably impossible to remove. With this in mind, does anyone have any advice as to how I should approach the problem. I don't want to drill through the floor and through the tray as well, that would defeat the object of the exercise. I damp metered the floor from underneath and the readings are quite high but as its the underneath of the van, this is probably expected. If the floor under the shower tray is soaked and compromised, \I guess the expanding foam is the answer, or is it not.

In our Sterling Topaz we found the sound was coming from the shower screen rubbing on the tray every time you went near it. A small soft plastic door bumper squeezed down the gap stopped all the noise as it was just enough to keep them apart.

In my case you can defo feel the floor giving way in certain spots. It feels like there are holes under the tray which are probably soft spots that are giving way as weight is put on it because if I press down on different parts with my heel, only some areas squeak and the other areas feel like they have something solid under that area. .